Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Just another day on PEI

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Just another day on PEI

Old 05-05-22, 03:20 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Just another day on PEI

This is why I *never* ride without my video camera.

Last edited by Bearhawker; 05-06-22 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Now on YouTube
Old 05-05-22, 04:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Might need to check your link. Didn't work for me.

It'd be better if you put it up on youtube and drag the video to your message. Some that aren't as computer literate will be a little uneasy taking a link they don't know anything about.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-05-22, 04:40 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Thanks - will do. I'm holding off on putting it up onto YouTube until after the cops are done dealing with it.

In the mean time I will see what's wrong with the link - it's one of my own NextCloud servers... not HTTPS because I don't share links often enough to justify the expense of registering a domain for it therefore no cert. lol
Old 05-05-22, 04:44 PM
Bearhawker

Originally Posted by Iride01

It'd be better if you put it up on youtube and drag the video to your message. Some that aren't as computer literate will be a little uneasy taking a link they don't know anything about.
Looks like I fixed the broken link - I will still go the YT route after the cops are done whatever they end up doing.

Thanks again!
Old 05-06-22, 12:22 PM
Bearhawker

Now - with youtoobs!
Old 05-06-22, 01:26 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
He didn't see the Corolla coming? (The driver of the Corolla sure as hell saw him coming.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-06-22, 01:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Yeah, similar stuff happens here quite a bit when I ride on the Natchez Trace Parkway. It also is a 2 lane road. The section that goes by me is busy with a lot of local traffic since this is a big metropolitan area for the State. I don't get pushed over though as when cars are oncoming to me, I'm in the middle of the lane so none behind me can try to squeeze by without changing to the other lane.

What does wind up happening here is that since those behind me have to get in the other lane, they misjudge how close the oncoming car is and they almost have a head on collision with them. Many times the oncoming car has to stop to keep from getting hit by the idiot driver passing me. But so far, most keep their 3 foot (≈ 1 meter) distance from me.

Will I get hit one day? Maybe, but I think I'm just as or more likely to get hit if I give people room to squeeze by.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-07-22, 05:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Are the cops actually doing anything about this?
Old 05-07-22, 07:57 AM
Bearhawker

Cops called the guy and advised that his story matched mine: I said it should as I have it all on video. Cops declined to see the video.

They assure me the driver has learned from this experience whatever that means.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from my local Provincial gov't representative who also happens to be the leader of the opposition here and a great guy to work with.
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 05-07-22, 08:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I recognized the airhorn sound (I have an AirZound).

I bike commuted for 28 years until recently and here are my thoughts:

Most drivers don't anticipate how their actions will affect other drivers, much less cyclists. It is up to you to protect yourself. My glasses mounted take-a-look mirror gives me a constant view of the road behind me as I look ahead. When I see an oncoming car, I assume the car behind me will pick that time to pass. I will then either take to the shoulder, or if that is not possible, extend my left arm in a "stay back" manner. The arm thing seems to work most of the time, but not always.

I no longer confront drivers. If they realize they put you in danger and feel bad about it they might slow down to apologize. This has happened only twice to me. But if they drive off, they either don't care or didn't realize what they did.

And if they put you in jeopardy on purpose, then they are not the kind of people you want to confront.

Regardless, your adrenaline is high having been put in peril, and if you confront a driver, especially one who is stopped off the street, the confrontation may raise their adrenaline.

Recognize the effect adrenaline has on you, and that it is already high from riding, and learn to not give in to it or let it cloud your judgement.

If your anger level rises pedal it out, you're on the perfect machine to do that. It is far healthier to stomp a bicycle pedal than it is to stomp a gas pedal.

For me, action cam video is to provide evidence in case of a collision, and to gauge my own reactions to crap that happens out there. Also to make nice video compilations of how great it is (or was) to ride to work.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 05-07-22, 02:33 PM
Bearhawker

Sound advice in general.

Yeah - the airhorn is new and despite being a weird sound, is great. No one can claim they didn't hear it. Not even my HOH wife. lol

It could have gone either way with this genius - I'm glad he was only belligerent verbally (and took the unusual route of doubling-down on his actions and playing the victim) as I have nothing further to say about the potential outcome had he been even more stupid. Hopefully Inever see him again but if there are further issues at least there is a record of the 1st encounter to show a pattern if nothing else. My widow will sue! lol
Old 05-08-22, 12:11 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Yah, someone was endangered ..... The RED CAR. The truck was a foot or two over the line. Car had to hit the dirt.
Both those drivers need to better time the pass. Maybe you as well. I sure as hell DO this myself.
Do you have a mirror??

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-08-22 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-08-22, 05:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Yah, someone was endangered ..... The RED CAR. The truck was a foot or two over the line. Car had to hit the dirt.
Both those drivers need to better time the pass. Maybe you as well. I sure as hell DO this myself.
Do you have a mirror??

What exactly is OP supposed to time? OP was passed while riding frap. Going faster or slower wouldn't have a predictable effect on pickup driver's pass.
Old 05-08-22, 07:13 AM
Bearhawker

Generally I do have a mirror but it broke and I am awaiting a replacement.

That said I wouldn't have done anything differently with an operational mirror - I was within a couple km of the end of my ride and was doing my best to get the fatbike up the hill with early-season conditioning.

I'm entitled to be on the road and I was staying as far right as practicable per the law.

The truck driver was the only one doing something they shouldn't have been.

If you're suggesting that I take the shoulder (effectively stopping) every time there is traffic on the highways then I might as well dump the bike and drive as I would never get anywhere. Not going to happen
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 05-08-22, 07:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Bearhawker
I'm entitled to be on the road and I was staying as far right as practicable per the law.
I'm not in any way implying you were wrong. However...

As far right as practicable doesn't mean as far right as possible. It means as far to the right as is safe.

IMO, it's not safe to ride so far to the right that vehicles behind think they have room to squeeze by. That's why I move further left from what I normally ride when I have oncoming vehicles.

I use to ride as far right as possible, but after a small car towing a bass boat on a trailer that was way wider than it almost hooked me with the trailer, I said no more. So for the last 12 - 15 years I don't give any room for motor vehicles to pass me in my own lane.

But again, it doesn't fix stupid. It does seem to force the stupid drivers to consider the choice of having a head on collision with another motor vehicle or remain behind until it's clear to pass.
Old 05-08-22, 01:58 PM
Bearhawker

The weather is supposed to be great here for at least a week so there might be more videos soon. lol
Old 05-08-22, 03:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm not in any way implying you were wrong. However...

As far right as practicable doesn't mean as far right as possible. It means as far to the right as is safe.

IMO, it's not safe to ride so far to the right that vehicles behind think they have room to squeeze by. That's why I move further left from what I normally ride when I have oncoming vehicles.

I use to ride as far right as possible, but after a small car towing a bass boat on a trailer that was way wider than it almost hooked me with the trailer, I said no more. So for the last 12 - 15 years I don't give any room for motor vehicles to pass me in my own lane.

But again, it doesn't fix stupid. It does seem to force the stupid drivers to consider the choice of having a head on collision with another motor vehicle or remain behind until it's clear to pass.

I think you've got to take into account the riders' knowledge of local drivers. From experience, my instinct is that if I had been in a similar situation but going down the center of the lane, the local version of that driver would just go further into the left lane.

Alas, this is an art, not a science. I can't predict how the driver is going to react, but I have found that NH/northern MA drivers can be super-aggressive, especially if they think you're on the "wrong" part of the road.

BTW, this isn't an argument. I always assume the people posting on here are the best judges of where they should be in the lane. I definitely believe you are the best judge of what works for you and wouldn't second-guess you. I've had some bad experiences riding in the lane in NH, so it's not my default in the op situation.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-08-22, 03:59 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts

Maybe I was there in 2019 on my 2 month Can/AM trip, 8 provinces and 22 states. Don't remember needing to squeeze any bikes. LOL. My CCM 3 speed stayed on the roof in PEI.
I drove to both ends and went to Green Gables. LOL. Too bad it was a week after the hurricane flattened thousand of trees.
Also managed to play roulette in Charlottetown and win $550. It was cloudy and cool the second day anyway.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-08-22 at 04:11 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 05-09-22, 05:56 AM
Bearhawker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
especially if they think you're on the "wrong" part of the road.
Yep. To this guy *any* part of the road was wrong.

He's not alone here but it is getting better.

Before we got the 1 meter law (should be one lane, but whatever) the worst offenders here were actually school bus drivers. They are substantially better now so the new worst are dump trucks which appear to be immune from the police as they are never dealt with. I'm guessing money/politics are involved with that one...
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 05-09-22, 07:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Interestingly, despite reading so many other threads where people complain about dump trucks, dump trucks around here have been among the most patient and pass me very safely here on the local roads in the counties around me. On the Natchez Trace Parkway, the cars that like to show their annoyance at me and get real close are almost always from out of state. Three states in particular, one very far away.

But on the whole, the instances of bad motorist behavior that affects my safety is still a rare occurrence IMO. I tend to have more issues with other cyclists on the MUP that don't stay in their own lane on blind curves. Or, they pass walkers when I'm coming the other way. They can't seem to judge my oncoming speed very well.
Old 05-09-22, 09:44 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Do you have a mirror??
For some odd reason this three abreast line up tends to occur... I think largely because motorists don't realize they can actually slow down. I mean what a concept eh? On coming traffic, someone already in the lane... wow, slow down, stay behind the bike until the oncoming traffic goes by, and then pass. That "concept" just doesn't seem to occur to motorists. Even to the point that when I slow down (as a driver), to give a cyclist safe room... motorists behind me will honk at me. The general driver IS that clueless.
Likes For genec:
Old 05-09-22, 09:48 AM
genec
genec

Generally I do have a mirror but it broke and I am awaiting a replacement.

That said I wouldn't have done anything differently with an operational mirror - I was within a couple km of the end of my ride and was doing my best to get the fatbike up the hill with early-season conditioning.

The truck driver was the only one doing something they shouldn't have been.

If you're suggesting that I take the shoulder (effectively stopping) every time there is traffic on the highways then I might as well dump the bike and drive as I would never get anywhere. Not going to happen
I think moving to the right, onto the dirt is the wrong signal. With oncoming traffic, there was no real room to pass and give safe room... You should stay more centered in your lane and put out an outstretched hand low and open to the back to indicate to the dunderhead driver coming up behind that they need to slow down and stay behind.

Honking was OK, but not a "cure." Confrontation is never the answer...
Old 05-09-22, 10:14 AM
Bearhawker

Originally Posted by genec
I think moving to the right, onto the dirt is the wrong signal. With oncoming traffic, there was no real room to pass and give safe room... You should stay more centered in your lane and put out an outstretched hand low and open to the back to indicate to the dunderhead driver coming up behind that they need to slow down and stay behind.
I almost never move off the road - the rare exception is when I know I'm going more slowly than normal and just can't go faster and when I feel like it. I'm doing my best and working my ass off in almost all cases and the "inconvenience" to anyone behind me is less than trivial and not normally even a consideration for me. The effort required to make up lost time for someone with a motor is a slight movement of the foot - and I'm not responsible for any mental health issues they have, while I'm out working on mine.

Honking was OK, but not a "cure." Confrontation is never the answer...
Except here to get the cops to even *consider* looking into an incident you need the following information as an *absolute minimum*:
time/location
vehicle make/model/colour
plate
AND a description of the driver that will stand up in court.

Hence the horn - if I can get them on camera I will. In this particular case the driver didn't stop to give me a piece of their mind, but I was lucky in that I saw where he turned off so it was easy to speak to him.

Am I lucky buddy didn't make it a violent encounter? One of us is for sure.
Old 05-09-22, 10:28 AM
genec
genec

I almost never move off the road - the rare exception is when I know I'm going more slowly than normal and just can't go faster and when I feel like it. I'm doing my best and working my ass off in almost all cases and the "inconvenience" to anyone behind me is less than trivial and not normally even a consideration for me. The effort required to make up lost time for someone with a motor is a slight movement of the foot - and I'm not responsible for any mental health issues they have, while I'm out working on mine.

Except here to get the cops to even *consider* looking into an incident you need the following information as an *absolute minimum*:
time/location
vehicle make/model/colour
plate
AND a description of the driver that will stand up in court.

Hence the horn - if I can get them on camera I will. In this particular case the driver didn't stop to give me a piece of their mind, but I was lucky in that I saw where he turned off so it was easy to speak to him.

Am I lucky buddy didn't make it a violent encounter? One of us is for sure.
Hey, I use a horn too. Makes me feel better. And I agree with your comment regarding the inconvenience to the driver. Strange how it takes so much strength and will for them to lift their foot, or even move it to the brake pedal.

But in the end you confronted the driver... that part never works. Damn idiots always double down with stupidity. I used to confront motorists... heard nothing but the lamest excuses and BS... and it almost always ended with "cars own the road." Just doesn't work to confront a driver... and here in the States United, some idiots might use that confrontation to "stand their ground."

As far as the police... most of them are dedicated drivers. 'Nuff said. (occasionally you might find one that cycles and sees your point... but that's rare)
Likes For genec:
Old 05-09-22, 10:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

For some odd reason this three abreast line up tends to occur... I think largely because motorists don't realize they can actually slow down. I mean what a concept eh? On coming traffic, someone already in the lane... wow, slow down, stay behind the bike until the oncoming traffic goes by, and then pass. That "concept" just doesn't seem to occur to motorists. Even to the point that when I slow down (as a driver), to give a cyclist safe room... motorists behind me will honk at me. The general driver IS that clueless.
Somebody seriously asked me what they were supposed to do if they couldn't pass a bike on the road, and my answer was that the law requires them to slow down until they can safely pass. Honestly, her response was :But the cars behind will honk at me!" They didn't have an answer to my response which was "And?"

It's amazing how afraid people are of getting honked at.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.