Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

aluminum frames

Old 07-16-22, 04:02 PM
jlat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
aluminum frames

hello people: Has anyone just made an unpainted AF? With this new to me, Hardrock had some ugly-looking scratches in areas so I filled the paint and just left the plane alum. I kinda like it. Also then if you scratch it up you could take down the flaw with sandpaper or a file.
IBBY
Old 07-16-22, 04:24 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
There have been lots of raw aluminum frames over the years, especially BMX and mountain bikes. In the 90s, GT made the Avalanche in raw aluminum. Might have ben polished, though.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-16-22, 04:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Old 07-16-22, 05:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Raw untreated aluminum will corrode. How much will depend on environmental conditions. I owned a Mercury Zephyr(Ford Fairmont clone) that had 1\4" thick cast aluminum bumpers. they were very strong. One time I was hit from behind at a stoplight, a pretty good whack and no damage was done. However, after about 5 years the bumpers had holes from corrosion at the points where the bumpers were bolted to the steel mounting points. Aluminum may be rustproof, but it isn't corrosion proof
Old 07-16-22, 05:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Clear coated aluminum looks very nice depending on who did the preparation and painting. Plus clear coat will protect raw aluminum form corrosion.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-16-22, 05:16 PM
jlat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello people: I have raw alum. on my motorcycle and I just hit it scotch bright if I want it to look nice. It sits in my shed over the winter and come spring all I have to do is what I say and it's all good.
IBBY
Old 07-16-22, 05:32 PM
jlat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello people: Didn't Merlin frames come raw? Maybe just not painted? I think they were made in Somerville Mass. at one time
IBBY
Old 07-16-22, 07:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by jlat
hello people: Didn't Merlin frames come raw? Maybe just not painted? I think they were made in Somerville Mass. at one time
IBBY
Merlin frames are titanium
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-16-22, 07:20 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
IBBY
Most Merlins were titanium, not aluminum
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-16-22, 07:39 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Raw aluminum oxidizes pretty quickly. The trick is to passivate the surface so that the atoms are happier to not react with any other passing elements.

Various grades of Chromium Phosphate are used throughout the aerospace industry. This creates a very strong bond with the aluminum atoms such that even oxygen does very little to convince them to recombine.

The difficulty is proper preparation. But it's totally do-able & Chromium Phosphate is readily available online. Bond-Rite is one such brand name. As with all chemicals, it will cause cancer in California.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-16-22, 07:41 PM
jlat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello people: I don't think Merlins were painted so maybe that's why I thought they were alum. wow, titanium.
IBBY
Old 07-16-22, 07:44 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Most Merlins were titanium, not aluminum
I believe all Merlins were titanium.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-16-22, 07:50 PM
jlat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello people: At work just about all alum. is chromated after welding to help stop oxidation. But a lot is painted.
IBBY
Old 07-17-22, 01:36 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I kinda like it. Also then if you scratch it up you could take down the flaw with sandpaper or a file.
IBBY
You might end up sanding the whole frame to oblivion.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-17-22, 05:29 AM
jlat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by koala logs
You might end up sanding the whole frame to oblivion.
hello and hello people: You could be right as the tubing wall thickness can't be too great. Maybe not a good idea.
IBBY
Old 07-17-22, 08:19 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
There have been more than a few bikes available with polished (unpainted) aluminum frames; notably 1990’s bikes like the aforementioned GT’s, and similar vintage Cannondale models. A handful of the SoftRide Power-V ‘wing’ bikes were polished as well.

Factory polished frames are usually clear-coated, but for DIY, you may be better off leaving it unsealed. If the clearcoat has any ‘thin spots’ or gets scratches in it, moisture or other contaminants can get between it and the polished surfaces, leading to cloudiness or “chrome worm”. The only way to fix it is to strip the clearcoat off.
A lot of hot-rodders will wax polished parts after polishing, as it’s a lot easier to touch-up the shine over time
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 07-17-22, 08:57 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Rolla
There have been lots of raw aluminum frames over the years, especially BMX and mountain bikes. In the 90s, GT made the Avalanche in raw aluminum. Might have ben polished, though.

In ‘99 I rode across the U.S. with a guy who rode a full suspension GT. (He had a bad back from riding a motorcycle as a CHiP for 30 years.) The finish looked a lot like that. Same color decals as well.

He was 60 at the time and was the overall strongest rider in our group of 13.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-17-22, 09:11 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
hello and hello people: You could be right as the tubing wall thickness can't be too great. Maybe not a good idea.
IBBY
Use a chemical paint stripper or have it sandblasted.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-17-22, 09:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Raw untreated aluminum will corrode. How much will depend on environmental conditions. I owned a Mercury Zephyr(Ford Fairmont clone) that had 1\4" thick cast aluminum bumpers. they were very strong. One time I was hit from behind at a stoplight, a pretty good whack and no damage was done. However, after about 5 years the bumpers had holes from corrosion at the points where the bumpers were bolted to the steel mounting points. Aluminum may be rustproof, but it isn't corrosion proof
If exposed to just air and water, untreated aluminum is fairly impervious to corrosion. Think of an aluminum rim that is used for braking. The aluminum is always “bare”. It doesn’t corrode any faster than the rest of the rim that isn’t constantly scrubbed by the brake pads. Aluminum is a reactive metal that quickly becomes covered with a thin layer of aluminum oxide whenever the bare metal is exposed. Other parts on a bicycle are also bare aluminum although they may have be anodized (purposely oxidized).

Add chloride ions from various road salts (not just sodium chloride) into the mix with a bit of water, and even the anodization can be plucked off. Add in a contact between steel and aluminum along with the chloride and you have a recipe for accelerated corrosion.

But, bare aluminum used in a dry environment or even a wet environment without much salt should be fairly impervious to corrosion.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-17-22, 10:08 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cyccommute

Add chloride ions from various road salts (not just sodium chloride) into the mix with a bit of water, and even the anodization can be plucked off. Add in a contact between steel and aluminum along with the chloride and you have a recipe for accelerated corrosion.
I think I mentioned this a long time ago, but my red anodized CK headset spacers “became one” with the steel steerer tube of my Colnago carbon fork thanks to my caustic sweat, riding in the rain and poor maintenance habits. After days of experimenting with ways to free them, the shop finally had to cut through them with a Dremel and pry them off. Wish I had saved the spacers for visual effect.
Old 07-17-22, 10:08 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
On an aluminum frame, you might be surprised at how thick the tube walls are.

They need to be substantially thicker than steel or titanium tubes, to avoid the "beer can dent" buckling. Also, aluminum needs to be thicker to avoid fatigue failure.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-17-22, 03:42 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by terrymorse
On an aluminum frame, you might be surprised at how thick the tube walls are.

They need to be substantially thicker than steel or titanium tubes, to avoid the "beer can dent" buckling. Also, aluminum needs to be thicker to avoid fatigue failure.
many lightweight aluminum frames use oversize / large diameter tubing to add strength when the wall thickness is (very) thin

( I believe this was the subject of the project / thesis Gary Klein worked on back in his days at MIT )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_Bicycle_Corporation

I had an early 90's Cannondale 2.8 frame that had large diameter butted tubing with thin walls - in some areas I believe the wall thickness was .6 mm

this frame was defective - we cut to inspect - but this was in the mid-90's so I cannot be certain on the dimensions

a relatively strong hand could get a little 'oil can' effect from the middle of the top tube on that frame

Last edited by t2p; 07-17-22 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 03:44 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Any commercially produced "raw" aluminum frames you see are painted with clear coat. I do like the looks - my wife had that kind of a Cannondale cross frame that I built up for her first "gravel" bike and I really liked the looks of it. It didn't really show minor grease grime, was easy to clean and looked brand new with no visible scuffs and scrapes. I bought her a new gravel bike, Litespeed titanium Watia and i sincerely believe I could have "snuck" it into the garage with her thinking it was another clear coated aluminum frame. But since she pays the credit card bills, I didn't bother.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-17-22, 04:08 PM
indyfabz

Just buy a ti frame and color it with Cerakote.
Old 07-17-22, 04:38 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

many lightweight aluminum frames use oversize / large diameter tubing to add strength when the wall thickness is (very) thin

( I believe this was the subject of the project / thesis Gary Klein worked on back in his days at MIT )
The Klein bikes had oversized tubing for stiffness, not particularly for strength.

0.6 mm thick aluminum seems extremely thin. That's about 20 mils, and the thinnest commonly available Al tubing is ~25 mils. A thin steel tube is about 28 mils.

BTW, I had a Klein Navigator, which weighed in at about 25 lbs. V-brakes, bar end sifters, triple chainrings, 3 water bottle cages.

I rode the cols of France on it, during the 2003 Tour. Here I am, proving that I have some upper body strength:

Water stop somewhere in the Pyrenees.

Likes For terrymorse:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.