Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

WTF? Garmin Tumor. Edge 1000

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-15-22, 09:46 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts

I put two bikes on stands outdoors, lube chains, check cables, and one does this.
Much worse when riding.

Garmin Support chat asked for S/N, then pic, then offers 20% off on a new whatever.
A check of eBay finds some more for sale with same problem.

We have Garmin:
2 Edge 1000’s, one like this.
1 Edge 500, indestructible.
1 Edge 25, funky cord, short battery life, minimalist.
2 Varia HL, one won’t turn on.
1 UT800 HL, works but rattles loose constantly. Yes, I tried other bolts and mounts.
3 Varia TL, all work, plus the turn signal controls.
1 Varia radar, short battery life.
5 HR monitors, ok.
4 speed sensors, ok.
5 cadence sensors that chew up batteries.
4-5 mounts, through which the clamp bolt breaks.

So, frustrated, I dug in my box:
3 Cliq TL, outstanding, with brake lights.
3 Blackburn Hotshot TL
1 Contour Roam camera with 128GB card.

Found new Wahoos on line, picked up HR monitors and cadence monitors.
Found Cycliq front/rear lights with cameras.

Looks like life will be a bit simpler, yard sale on Garmin.

Old 08-16-22, 06:23 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Bummer,
Old 08-17-22, 04:04 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
New screen from ali express is about 50 bucks.
Old 08-17-22, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
1 old and no longer made device out of all the ones you have get futched up and that bothers you?

Seems like Garmin's offer was decent. While not too terribly different in feature set, a Garmin 1030+ will amaze you with how much faster it is at doing most anything.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-17-22, 02:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
For what it's worth. People seem to have better results with this sort of thing calling Garmin support on the phone vs chatting online or emailing them. There's speculation that reps in their call center may be more empowered to take care of the customer, that's just a guess.

When my Garmin watch suddenly stopped working, it was years out of warranty. I called them on the phone, we couldn't get it fixed together, they sent me a new one to replace it. Free. I had to send my dead one back to them, but they sent my replacement the day I called so I wouldn't have to wait. They said normally they would replace it with a refurb but they didn't have any in stock so they just sent me a new in box model instead. This was a $900 watch.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-18-22, 09:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
That's an interesting failure of the 1000 screen, There was no contact with anything? I wouldn't be happy with 20% off either, that's actually more profit for them than they usually get on a new unit.

My wahoo cadence sensor which I run on ant+ does okay on battery life. As far as the cycliq stuff, they make garmin look good with their support and quality. Or maybe their quality got better because the long tortured thread on here complaining about cycliq support hasn't been bumped recently.
Old 08-18-22, 12:14 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
That's an interesting failure of the 1000 screen.
There are a few examples of this failure on eBay. But who knows how common it is (there doesn't seem to be any indication that it's common). Things break (more if they are old).
Old 08-18-22, 04:14 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by Iride01
1 old and no longer made device out of all the ones you have get futched up and that bothers you?

Seems like Garmin's offer was decent. While not too terribly different in feature set, a Garmin 1030+ will amaze you with how much faster it is at doing most anything.
You may not agree, but when a $500 item is defective, the offer of spending another $500 after discount does not seem decent. It implies they want me to make the same mistake (or leap of $500) faith twice, while acknowledging the defect.

I can make the same mistake for $200 less with a different brand. I did find a new Elemnt Bolt by Wahoo, deeply discounted on an outlet site. I took that $96 leap, and will await the results. If it pans out, I’ll get another.

The Varia HL, not cheap either, has stopped turning on/off. Reviews indicate there are issues with the non/off switch, which is the same as the one on the Edge 1000.

So, in the middle of an 18-day biking trip, I’ll let my +1 use my Edge 1000 and my Varia HL. A HL is required in an event on Saturday, due to a 5:30 am start. I brought my Garmin UT-800 headlight as a backup. I don’t feel a cyclo that expensive should need a backup, nor a HL, and I certainly feel the manufacturer should stand behind their product. This is not an isolated incident, which is why I easily found five examples for sale on eBay. I have no idea how many more of the same failures were simply accepted by the owners.

$500 may be the latest disposable threshold, perhaps.

I’m not a Trek fan, but their warranty service to my friends has been exemplary. Garmin could take note.
Old 08-19-22, 10:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
You may not agree, but when a $500 item is defective, the offer of spending another $500 after discount does not seem decent. It implies they want me to make the same mistake (or leap of $500) faith twice, while acknowledging the defect.

I can make the same mistake for $200 less with a different brand. I did find a new Elemnt Bolt by Wahoo, deeply discounted on an outlet site. I took that $96 leap, and will await the results. If it pans out, I’ll get another.

The Varia HL, not cheap either, has stopped turning on/off. Reviews indicate there are issues with the non/off switch, which is the same as the one on the Edge 1000.

So, in the middle of an 18-day biking trip, I’ll let my +1 use my Edge 1000 and my Varia HL. A HL is required in an event on Saturday, due to a 5:30 am start. I brought my Garmin UT-800 headlight as a backup. I don’t feel a cyclo that expensive should need a backup, nor a HL, and I certainly feel the manufacturer should stand behind their product. This is not an isolated incident, which is why I easily found five examples for sale on eBay. I have no idea how many more of the same failures were simply accepted by the owners.

$500 may be the latest disposable threshold, perhaps.

I’m not a Trek fan, but their warranty service to my friends has been exemplary. Garmin could take note.
So you still have all your previous TV's and personal computers or mac's still in working order with no problems? Perhaps I should get on to Apple for the 2008 and 2009 macbook pro's I have that no longer work. TV repair is few and far between. Even a simple high voltage power supply burning out will have a electronics place telling you to throw it out and get another TV. Garmin's warranty does seem to be in line with others. I don't expect more than two years out of them, but only one of the dozen or more devices I have has failed and that was 5 to 8 years after it sunk with my sailboat in hurricane Katrina.
Old 08-19-22, 03:47 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by Iride01
So you still have all your previous TV's and personal computers or mac's still in working order with no problems? Perhaps I should get on to Apple for the 2008 and 2009 macbook pro's I have that no longer work. TV repair is few and far between. Even a simple high voltage power supply burning out will have a electronics place telling you to throw it out and get another TV. Garmin's warranty does seem to be in line with others. I don't expect more than two years out of them, but only one of the dozen or more devices I have has failed and that was 5 to 8 years after it sunk with my sailboat in hurricane Katrina.
A lot longer than those 2 Garmin items. 2014 Mac is running Zwift, on Wahoo Kickr just fine.
20+ year old Panasonic tube TV still works
18 year old RCA tube TV, works and gave away.
Several TV’s working longer than the Garmin, no failures and all cheaper than the Edge 1000.

My friends who went through Camille were well prepared for Katrina. It wasn’t like there was no warning. They had no accidental on purpose losses.
Old 08-19-22, 04:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
A lot longer than those 2 Garmin items. 2014 Mac is running Zwift, on Wahoo Kickr just fine.
20+ year old Panasonic tube TV still works
18 year old RCA tube TV, works and gave away.
Several TV’s working longer than the Garmin, no failures and all cheaper than the Edge 1000.

My friends who went through Camille were well prepared for Katrina. It wasn’t like there was no warning. They had no accidental on purpose losses.
Two are bad? Thought it was just the one. Oh well still not sure why you think electronics should last forever.

I went through Camille too. I was prepared for Katrina. The 20 feet of chain rode and the 50 pound CQR anchor were never found even though diligently searched for. Suspect the line might have been cut by someone after we left it up in the river where others take their boats for such storms. We floated the boat two weeks after Katrina, cleaned it up, rebuilt the engine and it sailed beautifully till sold a few years ago.