Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best riding carbon bike - C64, Aethos, R5... what else?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best riding carbon bike - C64, Aethos, R5... what else?

Old 05-19-21, 11:55 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If you are looking for confidence on descents, then something with a relatively slack head angle and longer wheelbase might be worth considering. Bikes like the Cervelo Caledonia-5 and Argon 18 Krypton Pro would fit the bill. They should be both rock solid on fast downhills. Actually that was my main concern about the Aethos (and the Factor Ostro) as they are both shorter and steeper than my current Giant Defy, which again is rock solid descending.
nTrue enough. I did think of that and in the end, i actually dont need that much of a crutch - I am not bombing descents at my limit anymore (in a race, my fat ass would have been dropped by the time the descent started, and in a non-race, it doesnt matter that much). I'd probably use this as my first tie-breaker, with weight being the second.

At this point, i am 90% set on the Aethos. I checked Time and Look, and a limitation on tire size means they are out. The C64 is very nice as well ,but there have been a couple of people who have commented about it being more comfortable rather than stiff and also the above issue re cornering, whereas with the Aethos, I have yet to hear anyone complain about the ride quality except maybe point out that it isnt the most comfortable of bikes (which doesnt bother me one bit). So all else being equal, the Aethos is cheaper, lighter AND has fewer question marks.

Now for the freaking regular Aethos models to come to Asia. Spesh Malaysia only has the S-Works, Spesh Singapore doesnt even list the Aethos. FML. I am told by late 2021, though.
Old 05-19-21, 12:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Now for the freaking regular Aethos models to come to Asia. Spesh Malaysia only has the S-Works, Spesh Singapore doesnt even list the Aethos. FML. I am told by late 2021, though.
Plenty of time to change your mind a few more times - LOL
Old 05-19-21, 10:12 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Eric F
Plenty of time to change your mind a few more times - LOL
Ha, seriously - by then, the R5 will likely be announced and this whole exercise in hand-wringing will re-start from scratch.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who have taken the time to provide your thoughts and suggestions. It's been emotional.
Old 05-20-21, 03:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
I think it's good to keep going back and forth deciding on an expensive new bike. I do it all the time!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-20-21, 06:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Hand-wringing may not be the keystone of road cycling, but it's certainly a part of the foundation.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-20-21, 09:42 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hand-wringing may not be the keystone of road cycling, but it's certainly a part of the foundation.
Handwringing. OCD. Insecurities. This is the way.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-20-21, 09:57 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I can't be the only one who is often thinking about what the next bike will be even if a) I love my current bike(s); and b) have no intention of making a purchase for another few years. Do I care that my next bike and groupset probably hasn't been released yet? Absolutely not :-)
Likes For ericcox:
Old 07-28-21, 09:11 PM
Feelgood1

Bikes: Ridley Noah SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The colango reminded me of the tour de france this year. I think it was the winner.
Old 07-29-21, 08:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by Feelgood1
The colango reminded me of the tour de france this year. I think it was the winner.
Only with Pogacar sat on it. He would have still won on any of the other bikes ridden in the tour.
Likes For PeteHski: