Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More supply side drama.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More supply side drama.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 06:53 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
It looks like it's time to stock up on consumables, which leads to further shortages and strains on stock levels, and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat.....

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 07-29-21, 07:29 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
If you look at/follow the tire/tubing pricing thread, the OP said he got dropped by one of his material suppliers because of material demands of other, bigger companies. If you can't get materials, you can't make the product.
I can't find it now... dare I ask what happened while I was out on RAGBRAI?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-29-21, 07:41 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Not a ton. Click on those links and many say either "available soon" or "only x left", with x as a small number.
I just checked. All sorts of chains available on Amazon. In stock now and ready to ship.
Old 07-29-21, 07:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I can't find it now... dare I ask what happened while I was out on RAGBRAI?
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...y-pricing.html
Old 07-29-21, 08:01 AM
prj71

So now we have spoke, chain, tire and tube apocalypse.

Last edited by prj71; 07-29-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 08:04 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Thanks! I'd been searching by the wrong thread author, I guess.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-29-21, 12:00 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I think transportation/containers/vessels are the main issue. I got a message a month or two ago from a collated fastener company that the cost to reserve a container from Taiwan had increased to 10k per container.
On top of that, once the containers reach the US, there are severe shortages in labor to offload and then transport the containers to their destination. It's impacting every single type of manufacturing you can imagine.

I ordered a new Niner mountain bike at the end of March and at that time they were giving a 12-week lead time. Now, I have no idea when I'll get it.
Old 07-29-21, 06:07 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
If you look at/follow the tire/tubing pricing thread, the OP said he got dropped by one of his material suppliers because of material demands of other, bigger companies. If you can't get materials, you can't make the product. The screw/fastener company I referenced up thread stop taking any new screw orders in May. Until they get a clearer picture/plan/forecast with the actual manufacturer in Taiwan, no new product, period. That's on the whole product line. My company ordered 3 or 4 skids of some sizes we could substitute for the main item we sell before they froze the line. That stuff still has to be payed for though, while it's sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold. That becomes a problem eventually.
FYI - A lot of industries are fragmented as you say. In Taiwan, the shipping between factories is handled mostly by blue trucks (because they are all the same colour of blue). This isn't actually a problem. Those guys will work 24/7. Containers in and out are. Raw materials are. And clearly processing at the port of entry is, as well. This is what I am being told by various vendors here.

It's also affecting shipping to customers. The number of people asking us where their stuff is has skyrocketed. We trace their shipment and see it accepted at the destination country and then it's just a black hole; Everything gets sucked in and nothing seems to be coming out. Couriers like DHL or FEDEX seem to be fairing a bit better. I suspect it's because they handle everything from door to door. Even their delivery times have slowed - almost doubled in some cases.

Oddly enough, my recent Amazon order arrived a week AHEAD of their scheduled delivery date. Go figure.

Old 07-29-21, 06:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
$2B in fork truck orders that cannot be filled due to parts issues exacerbated by labor issues driven by The Great Resignation.

That's a B as in billion. You wanna buy spokes? Amazon wants to buy fork trucks. Nope.

Fork trucks move tires, spokes, blue plastic boxes, and milk.
Old 07-29-21, 06:23 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
My used parts bin, spare parts bin, and worn out stuff bin are all getting kinda skimpy. I always wanna cry when I end up cannibalizing one of my bikes for parts...

Note: Just ordered two more sets of tires, two freewheels, another chain, 4 tubes and rim strips. I don't wanna get caught without replacements. I am worried that bike parts might take the same path as ammo has over the past two years. I can't even find caps for my black powder... Go Figure!

Last edited by zandoval; 07-31-21 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 06:42 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
$2B in fork truck orders that cannot be filled due to parts issues exacerbated by labor issues driven by The Great Resignation.

That's a B as in billion. You wanna buy spokes? Amazon wants to buy fork trucks. Nope.

They can't get shelving, inventory scanners, and labor to stow, pack, pick and ship your ****.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-06-21, 09:18 AM
seypat

To further pile on, I have a shipment(1 or 2 pallets) that arrived at the local terminal over the weekend. It was at the terminal when I checked on Monday morning. Each morning, no new status. I call this morning and speak to customer service. They tell me they are short staffed and 100 trailers behind. They will call on Monday with a better forecast on when it can be delivered. If I need it before then, I will have to come out and pick it up. The vendor pays for the freight with a minimum order and chooses the freight company.
I finally had to pick up this pallet this morning from the terminal. It arrived there on 7/26/21. Pathetic.

Anyway, that's not why I'm posting. These 4 skids were sitting in front of me waiting to go to an ABC store. I would have thought that liquor was/is packaged with more padding than that. It's not going to take much of a bump to damage that load. The 2 on the right are Heaven's Door Bourbon. The other 2 are Vermouth.

Last edited by seypat; 08-06-21 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-06-21, 09:40 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

^ Mmm, Antica Formula. Making cocktails with that feels like cheating, it's so good.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-06-21, 04:37 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts

Right now you can't buy gas trucks from Toyota, can't even get a quote. Their US plant is shut down due to an EPA certification issue, no timing yet on a resolution. Other vendors are at 30 weeks. I manage a Tier 1 plant supplying parts to GM, Chrysler & Nissan, the chip shortage in our business has been insane. New car & truck inventories are at a record low and plants have to keep shutting down. Been in this industry for over 30 years & have not seen anything like this.
Old 08-06-21, 05:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
China looks to be heading to stupid lock downs again, so the cost is only going to get worse and shipments delayed.

Old 08-06-21, 06:52 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Right now you can't buy gas trucks from Toyota, can't even get a quote. Their US plant is shut down due to an EPA certification issue, no timing yet on a resolution. Other vendors are at 30 weeks. I manage a Tier 1 plant supplying parts to GM, Chrysler & Nissan, the chip shortage in our business has been insane. New car & truck inventories are at a record low and plants have to keep shutting down. Been in this industry for over 30 years & have not seen anything like this.
And Toyota's competitors are going insane, unable to capitalize on Toyota's cert issues due to their own supply chain challenges.

The random things you can't get... windshield wiper assemblies, horns, LDC display control boards.

I saw a middling sized bike brand selling a brand-new bike with 9-speed components. At first I was like, wtf. Then I realized... that's what they could get.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-08-21, 09:50 AM
prj71

Guys...

The sky isn't falling.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-08-21, 01:39 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Guys...

The sky isn't falling.
[citation needed]
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-08-21, 05:48 PM
downtube42

Guys...

The sky isn't falling.
It is what it is. I've remained gainfully employed throughout, with a10% paycut more than offset by reduced expenses. The sky above my head is in pretty good shape.

Friends, family, and some former colleagues who were laid off are in more tenuous positions. The sky doesn't look so great if you find yourself in line for free food at the local food pantry.

Every supply chain problem probably translates to someone's lost income.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-08-21, 06:41 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
What is the expression?

A Recession is when your chicken little neighbor loses his job and a Depression is when you lose yours.

When a large percentage of the global workforce is stopped from working, the pie is smaller. There is simply less supply. The complexity of the supply chain only makes matters worse.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-09-21, 09:58 AM
prj71

It is what it is. I've remained gainfully employed throughout, with a10% paycut more than offset by reduced expenses. The sky above my head is in pretty good shape.

Friends, family, and some former colleagues who were laid off are in more tenuous positions. The sky doesn't look so great if you find yourself in line for free food at the local food pantry.

Every supply chain problem probably translates to someone's lost income.
I'm gainfully employed also, but received a pay increase along with the largest Christmas bonus last December I have ever received. Business is good where I work...I'm tied to the home building industry.

Just getting sick of hearing all the doom and gloom in the bike industry that isn't. For all the doom and gloom I keep hearing...I've been able to purchase numerous brand new replacement bike components this year (chains, tires, tubes, rear derailleurs, chain rings, helmets, shifters etc.) and even purchased two brand new bikes. Just have to be a little more savvy than normal is all. The stuff is out there if you need. it.

Last edited by prj71; 08-09-21 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-09-21, 10:37 AM
seypat

I'm gainfully employed also, but received a pay increase along with the largest Christmas bonus last December I have ever received. Business is good where I work...I'm tied to the home building industry.

Just getting sick of hearing all the doom and gloom in the bike industry that isn't. For all the doom and gloom I keep hearing...I've been able to purchase numerous brand new replacement bike components this year (chains, tires, tubes, rear derailleurs, chain rings, helmets, shifters etc.) and even purchased two brand new bikes. Just have to be a little more savvy than normal is all. The stuff is out there if you need. it.
I don't think you really how hard people are working and what they are going through to keep that sky above your head. They, like you are getting sick of you harping like everything's hunky dory. It's not.
Old 08-09-21, 11:29 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Won't mention the name, but I rec'd an e-mail the other day from a business, stating that they had Shimano components back in stock. Never rec'd a notification like that previously. I don't take it as a good sign so far as supply in general goes.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-09-21, 11:54 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
The chip fab around the corner from me is adding significant capacity to the existing fab and also building another fab w/ same capacity on site as a result of the shortage. We’re talking years before everything is done though.
Old 08-09-21, 12:26 PM
prj71

Are you sure about Toyota? I can't find anything that states that you can't get a gas truck from them.

https://fortune.com/2021/08/02/toyot...emiconductors/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.