Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thinking of switching to air fork...

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-21, 09:56 AM
1962schwinn

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Tiger, 1977 Schwinn Typhoon, 1979 Schwinn Spitfire 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi, on the first day of spring this year I was fortunate enough to find a new Giant Roam 2 Disc. Really love the bike and have been putting quite a few miles on it. Pretty much pavement riding and some hard pack limestone fine trails. I do hit some pretty jarring bumps sometimes, don't really think the fork gives anything close to a plush ride and wondering if an air fork is going to give a better ride. Looks like SR Suntour and Rock Shox each make a fork with similar travel. 63mm for the Suntour, 65mm for the Rock Shox. This would not be a cheap swap, around $250 for the fork and I would pay to get it installed. Just looking for input on what improvement I could expect from doing this. Thanks for any replies.
Old 07-26-21, 10:22 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by 1962schwinn
I do hit some pretty jarring bumps sometimes, don't really think the fork gives anything close to a plush ride and wondering if an air fork is going to give a better ride.
Yes, ditch the low end “suspension” fork and get a real (air/oil) one or a supple rigid fork.
Old 07-26-21, 11:00 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
If Interested, here is my take on the Rockshox Paragon:

Rock Shox Hybrid Fork Click here

It is a much better fork and if you do hit many bumps and or other small obstacles, its worth it. If your just wanting to reduce road chatter, not going to happen, it would still occur since the shock isn't designed to limit this.

I've read good things of the Suntour airforks as well. It's possible you might find one for a better price than the Paragon.

Just an FYI, you will not only pay for the suspension, but the air pump, the installation, the future maintenance kits...if you will do your own maintenance. Or will pay for an LBS to do the maintenance themselves.

If you really don't need any suspension, supple rigid fork as dorkdisk suggested is good.

Last edited by travbikeman; 07-26-21 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-27-21, 07:13 AM
1962schwinn

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Tiger, 1977 Schwinn Typhoon, 1979 Schwinn Spitfire 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the good, very specific info. Probably will go with the Paragon. I know its a little pricey, but to me the stock fork is the glaring shortfall of the bike. I don't actually seek out rough stuff, it's just out there. So I think it will be worthwhile.
Old 07-27-21, 07:25 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by 1962schwinn
Thanks for the good, very specific info. Probably will go with the Paragon. I know its a little pricey, but to me the stock fork is the glaring shortfall of the bike. I don't actually seek out rough stuff, it's just out there. So I think it will be worthwhile.
FWIW my Sid XX had an msrp of 1100. Good suspension is expensive; 270 is not bad.
Old 08-01-21, 08:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
When I hit bumps I lift my butt off the saddle a couple inches and it's all fine; just keep the pedals level. My big plush tires take care of everything else.