Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Why Gravel? Need input

Old 05-09-21, 09:57 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
So go for a ride on gravel on whatever bike you have now, and see if you like it.

Start here!
Then go on another gravel ride, and another. By then you'll have an idea whether you are headed in the right direction.
We can all tell you what we like but none of us can tell you what you like.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 05-30-21, 01:58 PM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
What tipped the scales for me was the newest generation of performance road bikes with wide tires rather than gravel grinder bikes. Now I can extend and connect road rides with dirt/gravel sections making more loops. There are far more gravel roads in the USA than there are paved roads. Quiet, no cars zooming by 5ft away. Better scenery than urban sprawl. Turtles, ducks, eagles, deer, bears.

Learn to be self-sufficient, nobody to rescue you. The cost of freedom to ride.
Old 05-30-21, 06:42 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Kelly
There are far more gravel roads in the USA than there are paved roads.

There are approx 2.6 million miles of paved roads in the US and about 1.5 million unpaved.

Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics. US Department of Transportation.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 05-31-21, 04:06 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
I thought of this on my ride yesterday...

Short answer is it all depends on where you live and ride.

I live an hour northwest of Toronto. If I were to ride south towards Toronto, or east towards busy suburbs, the paved roads are very busy. There are not many gravel roads so that doesn’t really matter.

When I ride North (incl NE and NW) or west, the paved roads have fewer cars the further you go. And the further I ride the more gravel roads there are. However, many of the paved roads are not very busy. It also matters when you’re riding. I’m usually up early and again, paved roads not very busy. This means I’m happy riding my road bike with 25mm or gravel bike for a mixed surface ride. The gravel on such a ride is usually just a nice change of pace, as I’ll start on paved roads, then hit mixed surface trails that run along a river, more paved, gravel, a rail trail, etc. That’s pretty fun. But only gravel over paved, doesn’t make sense where I ride.
Old 06-03-21, 05:37 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
As for dogs, they are an annoyance for sure, but hardly a reason to not ride your bike on roads. Maybe if a dog chases and tries to bite you on multiple trips, call the police or just choose a different road. In a lot of the US, there is another gravel road 1 mile away.
This. To give some perspective, I have around 100 miles of roads that I ride pretty regularly (not all at once!). This is in Kansas, in a rural area with no leash laws or anything like that. Each mile section varies, but I’d say it’s typical to have 3-5 houses per mile in the area.

In those miles, I have one house and that I no longer ride by, and one more that I’ll turn around on if the dog is out in the road waiting for me before I pass the house. Most of the rest of the dogs are frequently fenced in, or minimally agressive. A yell or squirt from the water bottle is usually enough to keep them at bay while I ride past. With the smaller ones, the best thing to do is just slow down because they’re not going to hurt you unless you catch them in your wheel.

I have gotten less worried about dogs over the years…it’s something to think about, but wouldn’t stop me from riding.
Old 06-03-21, 09:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I like riding on roads with great views and few cars. Those tend to be gravel or crap pavement.

So gravel is a byproduct, not the goal.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-04-21, 04:21 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
I prefer fast road bikes, but the roads in my area do not. I’ve been very limited to certain roads when they start chip sealing in the summer. ATB, All Terrain Bikes, makes my routes more enjoyable.

Old 06-04-21, 10:25 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
The sound of riding on gravel is like ASMR
Likes For franswa:
Old 06-04-21, 06:21 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I prefer fast road bikes, but the roads in my area do not. I’ve been very limited to certain roads when they start chip sealing in the summer. ATB, All Terrain Bikes, makes my routes more enjoyable.
How do the ATB's ride when they are vertical? I haven't tried that yet.
Old 06-06-21, 05:03 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
There may be more paved roads than gravel roads in the country, but in my state (Vermont) there are more dirt roads than paved - so more route options. All the arguments in support of gravel have already been enumerated here: safety, scenery, adventure, variety, a more relaxed “ethic” than road riding. For those of us riding in forested areas there’s also shade in the heat and usually a lot less wind on windy days. OK, and more bugs.
Old 06-06-21, 09:07 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
There are approx 2.6 million miles of paved roads in the US and about 1.5 million unpaved.

Fair, but what about cycle-able roads? Take out the interstate highways, state highways and multi-lane highways with no shoulders?

I know in my vicinity, the options for pavement are limited to in town, state highway and a few small subdivisions. If you want a decent ride on safe roads it's on dirt or carefully planned.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 06-07-21, 07:53 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Originally Posted by Caliper
Fair, but what about cycle-able roads? Take out the interstate highways, state highways and multi-lane highways with no shoulders?

I know in my vicinity, the options for pavement are limited to in town, state highway and a few small subdivisions. If you want a decent ride on safe roads it's on dirt or carefully planned.

There are lots of unpaved roads that have substantial vehicle traffic. In many parts of the country gravel roads are the primary form of travel for all vehicles.

The notion that all off road gravel riding is free from cars and truck traffic and is therefore safe is just supercilious. Everything is location dependent. Either way, there are more paved roads than unpaved in the USA and in some places riding a bicycle on the Interstate is allowed and may be the safest passage.

If you got something that works for you then keep working it. Different (pedal) strokes for different folks.

There is no panacea.
Old 06-07-21, 08:14 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
No annoying situations where another cyclist thinks you're in a traffic light race just because you're both on bikes, waiting for the light to turn green
Old 06-07-21, 08:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Geographically we are the 3rd largest country in the world and we have over 330million people. Obviously location dependent applies to most generalizations when talking about such a large landmass with so many people.

Reality is that every place I have ever spent significant time living in/riding/visiting in this country- unpaved roads contain less traffic than paved roads. And speeds are slower too.
Upper Midwest in multiple states? Yup, rings true.
Central California? Yup, rings true.
Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama? Yup, rings true.

Unpaved roads contain fewer vehicles and speeds are slower compared to paved roads.
Old 06-07-21, 12:34 PM
Caliper

There are lots of unpaved roads that have substantial vehicle traffic. In many parts of the country gravel roads are the primary form of travel for all vehicles.

The notion that all off road gravel riding is free from cars and truck traffic and is therefore safe is just supercilious. Everything is location dependent. Either way, there are more paved roads than unpaved in the USA and in some places riding a bicycle on the Interstate is allowed and may be the safest passage.

If you got something that works for you then keep working it. Different (pedal) strokes for different folks.

There is no panacea.

Agreed that there are certainly cars on gravel roads (why else is the road there?) But the traffic level is different. If a place is remote enough that there are only gravel roads, then the traffic level will be lower because of population density. In less remote places, there tend to be paved thoroughfares that draw the majority of motor vehicles and the traffic on dirt is mostly people going between their house and the closest paved area. The thing is, dirt and gravel roads don't hold up well to large volumes of vehicle traffic so they tend to get paved wherever there are higher traffic levels.

Again, to there being more miles of paved roads than gravel, many of the miles of pavement are not much use for cycling. Lots of miles of roads are in subdivisions which are now built without connecting roads to neighboring subdivisions (to reduce cut through traffic) so many of those roads are also of little use. In Metro Detroit, you'll have a 1 mile square city block with four miles of road on each side, but more than four miles of road connecting all the residences on the 4+ developments contained inside the block, often with stop signs scattered all throughout. Those miles of minor roads are of no use to a cyclist (or even a motorist) unless you are going to a house in that sub. Meanwhile, dirt roads are used in places where lower population density and larger lots mean the roads are laid out differently and there are far fewer dirt roads to nowhere.

I'd be curious to see how the balance of dirt vs pavement changes on roads that are >1mi long and roads that are >5mi long.
Old 06-07-21, 06:08 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Originally Posted by Caliper
If a place is remote enough that there are only gravel roads, then the traffic level will be lower because of population density.

You seem to have not included industrial and commercial traffic in your metric.

I am not going to kick any more footballs at your set of moving goal posts. Happy riding!
Old 06-07-21, 09:37 PM
Caliper

You seem to have not included industrial and commercial traffic in your metric.

I am not going to kick any more footballs at your set of moving goal posts. Happy riding!
No, I certainly have included industrial and commercial traffic nor have I shifted anything. Heavy traffic favors paved routes. Heavy trucks tear up dirt or gravel roads, which means higher maintenance expenses for whoever maintains the road which results in them getting paved. I'm sure you can point to a trucking depot and USPS distribution center on a dirt road, but let's be honest that this is the exception. In three different states, I've seen the same that traffic levels drop on dirt roads compared to the paved roads in the same area.
Old 06-13-21, 03:42 AM
mant1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Depends on what kind of gravel bike you choose. There is a range from "almost MTB" heavy rigs all the way to "wannabe aero road bike" style of gravels. Or you can go the CX way and pick for example Specialized Crux, which is great universal light bike where 42 mm tires can be fitted and geo is almost roadlike.
If you don't plan to get medal positions only at CX races, I wouldn't be too nervous about using gravel bike for CX racing They will be mostly heavier, but still capable of doing that kind of races.
I'm mostly MTB rider as well, but I just love the stiffness of the gravel bikes when you push the pedal and the bike just shoots forward, compared to MTBs. And still capable to ride flow trail type of terrain quite fast..
Old 07-06-21, 06:33 PM
Whib

Bikes: Giant Fathom 1, Giant Escape Disc 1, Co-op ADV 2.3

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Start here!
Then go on another gravel ride, and another. By then you'll have an idea whether you are headed in the right direction.
We can all tell you what we like but none of us can tell you what you like.
Brent
Went on my first gravel ride a couple days ago. I was on my hardtail MTB. Loved it! I promptly came home and signed up for a September gravel race, the Dirt Diggler 45.5 in Brevard, NC. I’m curious: will I be in the vast minority on my MTB?
I know I’ll be way slower than the normal gravelers, but I’m cool with that. Just looking for a fun event experience.
Likes For Whib:
Old 07-07-21, 04:41 AM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by Whib
Went on my first gravel ride a couple days ago. I was on my hardtail MTB. Loved it! I promptly came home and signed up for a September gravel race, the Dirt Diggler 45.5 in Brevard, NC. I’m curious: will I be in the vast minority on my MTB?
I know I’ll be way slower than the normal gravelers, but I’m cool with that. Just looking for a fun event experience.
What did you enjoy about it vs the normal riding you would do on that bike (which I assume is single track)?
Old 07-07-21, 11:53 AM
Whib

Bikes: Giant Fathom 1, Giant Escape Disc 1, Co-op ADV 2.3

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
What did you enjoy about it vs the normal riding you would do on that bike (which I assume is single track)?
My normal riding is, indeed, single track. I like slow, technical trails and long distances.

I enjoyed the gravel because I was in the woods the whole time, riding beside a buddy (as opposed to single file), and was able to kick up to some fun speeds comfortably. Covered 20 miles in two hours, and it was enjoyable and very approachable. Also, it was very low impact on the joints.

Last edited by Whib; 07-07-21 at 01:01 PM.
Likes For Whib:
Old 07-07-21, 04:46 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by bennybenny

Thanks for input, thinking about gravel, just want to see what you love about it. Thanks.

Benny
Chip seal is getting bigger. Bigger tires are just better.

It was easy to give up my road race bike in favor of a high end gravel bike.

1 high end gravel bike not only replaced a road bike, but it replaced a utility commute bike as well.
It is just a win/win bike for me.

Bonus being its pretty much all road + some single track riding. If I want to take the short cut, I do it. If I want the scenic route, I do it!
Options baby with minimal losses.
Old 07-07-21, 09:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts

My only question would be, what are they calling paved, where I grew up the roads were "paved" but really were just gravel and dirt with some oil laid down to tamp down the dust.

Very true. When you live in a hilly area that's all 55 and the locals don't worry about getting caught speeding at 75, the shoulders are shallow and no one put down lines on the last layer of gravel, it isn't a very safe area to ride despite how few the cars might be. Might be less cars to get you but they also don't consider your being there or even consider you a real user.

Possibly less of a minority then you think. Gravel rides/races do seem to be a little more ride what you got. Either way, go have fun, sounds like a good length for a fun time.
Old 07-07-21, 09:31 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I live in Los Angeles and I didn't realize I live by all these cool trails and fire roads. In order to get to these spots, I ride on LA's extensive bike route system. In fact I just look at the streets as a way to get to these off-road locations. It's almost a waste to ride on the streets and not be able to hop on a closed fire road where you can experience some of the most amazing views of the city. In fact I'm finding spots no one bikes, because it's not worth it for a MTB'er to drive to these spots and too harsh and steep for a roadie, yet perfect for a gravel bike. You can basically explore new territory when you re-frame where you ride your bike.
Care to share your best trails and fire roads? I'm on the west side
Old 07-08-21, 04:30 AM
Noonievut

My normal riding is, indeed, single track. I like slow, technical trails and long distances.

I enjoyed the gravel because I was in the woods the whole time, riding beside a buddy (as opposed to single file), and was able to kick up to some fun speeds comfortably. Covered 20 miles in two hours, and it was enjoyable and very approachable. Also, it was very low impact on the joints.
As a non mountain biker this was good perspective for me, thanks
Likes For Noonievut:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.