Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Rolling Resistance vs Aero Drag

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Rolling Resistance vs Aero Drag

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 11:25 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Rolling Resistance vs Aero Drag between Gravel and XC Tires

I was deciding on getting some Gravelking SK/SS+ tires in 700x43 for my gravel bike, but since my bike can fit full 29er tires I saw that I could run the 29x2.2 Conti RaceKing Protection tires, and they have less rolling resistance than the SK/SS.

I guess the only other thing would be that the larger tires might take longer to accelerate, and might have more drag. Not sure if I’m thinking about this the right way, but I’m curious to know where the middle ground would be when choosing between these tires?
Old 05-26-21, 12:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I would choose the widest tires I need for the terrain. Unless you are a top-tier gravel racer, I'm not sure that aero effects trump any other concerns when it comes to tires.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-26-21, 12:42 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Okay so I’ll add a bit more info: I’m looking at a 60/40 road/off road ratio for my setup. Trying to optimize for speed/efficiency while not giving up too much comfort. Since I can’t afford a second wheelset for primarily off-road, I can’t do a full slick.

Again, I was thinking the RaceKing would actually be better on the road because of lower rolling resistance. I just didn’t know if there were any other factors that I should consider (I think the measured weights had a minimal difference compared to the 43mm SK+/SS+).
Old 05-26-21, 01:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I don't know about rolling resistance but that tread on the Conti will be very unpleasant on the road. Is the GK you are considering an SK or SS?

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-26-21 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-26-21, 01:58 PM
DarKris

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't know about rolling resistance but that tread on the Conti will be very unpleasant on the road. Is the GK you are considering an SK or SS?
Both - either the 50mm SK+ or I was thinking an SK+ front and SS+ rear in 43mm.
Old 05-26-21, 02:48 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Well, MTB tires don't do great on the road. When I'm going straight on a MUP at <15mph, they are fine. But they feel draggy over 20mph (undoubtably aero is becomming an issue too). They don't corner well on pavement, and certainly are slow in the curves - because of the squared off tread profile and side lugs.

For me, it really matters what my speed and target PSI are. If I'm doing a long steady ride and want lower PSI, bigger tires are fine. If I want the crisp handling of higher PSI, and I'm doing a ride where I'll be sprinting, or fast road work, no. For fast gravel rides (paceline, sprinting), generally the biggest the best.

Low rolling resistance on a drum is different from the type of riding I do - unless I'm just riding in a straight line (MUP style).
Old 08-03-21, 06:36 AM
Kanon25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
I was deciding on getting some Gravelking SK/SS+ tires in 700x43 for my gravel bike, but since my bike can fit full 29er tires I saw that I could run the 29x2.2 Conti RaceKing Protection tires, and they have less rolling resistance than the SK/SS.

I guess the only other thing would be that the larger tires might take longer to accelerate, and might have more drag. Not sure if I’m thinking about this the right way, but I’m curious to know where the middle ground would be when choosing between these tires?
If you have big wide tures that will cause aero drag....but if you have a fork wide enough to accommodate 2.2" tires then you will also not be streamlined if you put a thinner tire in there. Basically that bike is not really optimised for aero efficiency and I would therefore not worry about it aero at all.
Old 08-03-21, 07:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
@DarKris - what did you get?

Its really tough for me to conceptualize and accept the 2.2 knobby Race King having less rolling resistance than what I ride- Gravel King SS(normal, not plus version).
For 60% road, I would have no interest in those knobs, especially since I really dont need those knobs to enjoy my gravel roads either.
Old 08-03-21, 07:40 AM
DarKris

I got the race kings, tried them, and sold them after getting the Gravelking SK 50mm. The SKs have a better balanced feel to them and roll just as well IMO. Plus since I’m now running a sus fork I really don’t care too much about aero on this bike

For the size the Race Kings rolled deceptively fast, but not enough for me to want to run them for mostly pavement and hero gravel