Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Rim Incompatible With Tube / Ultra Sport IIIs?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-21, 10:56 PM
BikeMike27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I cracked a wheel and went to buy a new wheelset at my local bike store. They sold me some Mavick Open Pro UST tubeless rims. Size 700s.

I went to install the tube and tire (Continental Ultra Sport IIIs) and it is incredibly difficult to get on there. I couldn't do it. Tires are 700 also. When I looked, the groove inside the rim was much shallower than the grooves on other wheelsets. It almost seems like there isn't enough room to get a tube in there with a tire.

Also, when I looked at the rim, it said it was rated to a max PSI of 87. The Ultra Sport IIIs max PSI is 123.

Are these rims compatible with the tires I have?
If so, any recommendations on how to get them on?
|
I have been thinking about returning the rims and getting something that I can get the tires on much easier, like the last rims I had. Any suggestions for some good rims which are easy to get tires on?
Old 07-21-21, 10:08 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I don't think Mavic recommends using NON tubeless tires on those rims. This is starting to be true with many tubeless-ready rims. Please check that with Mavic or their site. The Easton R90 SLs and several others should be okay with any tire. Let some others chime in, since they keep up with the latest trends more than I do.
Old 07-21-21, 03:28 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The tire size wasn't mentioned, but the trend today is wider tires and lower pressures. I wouldn't think of using 23mm tires with 100 psi pressure like I did years ago. There's nothing said about having to use tubeless tires, but I certainly would. I only weigh 135 and really like my 28mm michelin tubeless tires on 19mm internal width rims. I run as low as 62/64 psi, based on the pressure calculator at zipp.com.

The 87 psi maximum is for tubeless only.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-22-21 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-21-21, 03:44 PM
BikeMike27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. Yes, sorry; the tire size is 25mm. I pump them up to a healthy 110 or 115 but maybe I shouldn't.

I weigh about 170-175. Do tubeless tires need less pressure than tubes? Sorry, have never looked into them.
Old 07-21-21, 04:13 PM
DaveSSS 

Tubeless tires would only need 75/80 psi in 25mm, for someone of your weight, according to zipp.com.
Old 07-21-21, 10:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Conti Ultra Sport tires are notoriously tight and difficult to mount. Get a Kool Stop bead jack. Works great. The problem is you'll need to carry it on bike rides too in case of a flat. I did that for a couple of years before switching tires. Now I mostly ride Conti GP Classic skinwalls (700x25 only) or Soma Supple Vitesse, both of which I can mount with my hands. But I still use the Ultra Sport II on the indoor trainer, and occasionally on another bike outdoors.

No idea whether the Ultra Sport III is tubeless ready. It's not a skinwall like the GP Classic or Soma Supple Vitesse, so the sealant might be good enough to reduce gradual air leakage through the tire itself.

BTW, other than the ultra tight fit, Ultra Sports are great cheap tires. I really can't tell any difference in grip, durability over the miles, puncture resistance, etc., from the GP Classics. The GP Classics have a more supple ride due to being skinwalls, but the Ultra Sport aren't bad at all. I weigh around 150 and usually inflate the Ultra Sport II 700x25 to around 80 psi rear, 60 psi front; a bit higher with the 700x23. Never a pinch flat. If not for the tight fit needing a bead jack, I'd still be riding the Ultra Sport as my everyday tire.

Last edited by canklecat; 07-21-21 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-21-21, 11:08 PM
BikeMike27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that. In the meantime, I ordered some new rims that are hopefully easier to get the tires onto. The old rims I had, I was able to fit those tires with no problems at all. I guess maybe I should have just figured out the same ones.

Yeah, they were really cheap and it mad e ahuge difference from the stock tires. But wow, I had no idea you could ride the 25s at 80 and 60. I pump them up to like 115. You don't notice a loss of speed or anything? I weigh 175 if that matters.

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-21, 07:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeMike27
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that. In the meantime, I ordered some new rims that are hopefully easier to get the tires onto. The old rims I had, I was able to fit those tires with no problems at all. I guess maybe I should have just figured out the same ones.

Yeah, they were really cheap and it mad e ahuge difference from the stock tires. But wow, I had no idea you could ride the 25s at 80 and 60. I pump them up to like 115. You don't notice a loss of speed or anything? I weigh 175 if that matters.

Thanks again.
Even with tubes, you can and probably should drop your PSI by about 25psi to about 90psi.
Old 07-22-21, 07:49 AM
DaveSSS 

A front tire should not be used with only 60 psi, with 80 at the rear. Normally, there's only 2-8 psi less recommended for the front tire. Zipp.com only recommends 2 psi for a lightweight person. As rider weight goes up, the pressure difference goes up some.

To the OP, why not try tubeless tires if you already have tubeless rims? There's no reason that tubed tires can't be used, too. The Mavic rims have hooks. Tires stretch with some use and become much easier to remove. The initial install is always the hardest.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-22-21 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 03:38 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm 190lbs and run a GP4000 S2 in 25mm @ 90 psi in the rear, and an Ultra Sport II in 28mm @ 80 psi in the front. I don't mind letting them drift down about 5-7 lbs or so between pumping. Pushing them higher (85/95) gives me a bit of a faster feeling ride, though I have to grip the bars a tisch harder when going over tree-root cracked pavement.

Unless you're on perfect pavement, I would knock your 25mm tires back to 100psi and start there - drop your tires by 5psi every ride and see how you like it. Your tires may feel a little bit draggier, but they'll also feel a bit more planted - and it definitely takes the edge off of bad pavement.
Old 07-22-21, 07:51 PM
BikeMike27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will do! Yeah, I have a Contend AR that I ride at 80 PSI, with 32mm tires. It's definitely smoother. lol. I appreciate your response and will start at 100 and see how I like it.