Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Think Continental will ever "loosen" the fit?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-01-21, 09:03 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts

I just ordered some new tires. Didn't go with Continental, just because of the reputation of how hard it is to get on and off the rim. A friend has them on one of his bikes, said even with a tire bead jack it was very difficult to mount the tires. Doesn't sound like fun if had to repair or replace a tube while on a ride. Seems that Continental would be aware of this. Is there a reason why their tires must fit so tight, that they won't change. Seems like it could be done, and would result in increased sales. Whaddaya think?
Old 08-01-21, 09:14 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
A lot of fitment problems have to do with rims that were made tighter in the last 10 years or so.

There was a huge push to move all bike rims to "tubeless". Yet, so far that doesn't seem to be what the consumers actually want.

I've done fine with the Continentals on a number of "Classic" rims.

It is hard to say how non-tubeless tires will evolve with the new tubeless craze.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-01-21, 09:41 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I've had 2 sets of Continentals, GP 4 Seasons and GP 5000, didn't have a problem fitting either tyre, the 5000's were fitted to tubeless ready wheels and went on with a little help with levers.
Likes For sw20:
Old 08-01-21, 09:45 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
The Conti's I have used have been good on the rims I have used them on. The last Conti I purchased has been a couple of years, I have no experience with any of the latest models. Two tires I really like: Vittoria Open Pave, 27mm; and Hutchinson Performance Fusion 5 all season, 28/32mm. That particular Hutchinson has gotten a lot more costly. I prefer latex tubes in both, especially for the Open Paves. What a great ride that combo gives, as a bonus, those tires emit sort of a unique buzzing/humming sound. For me, that really fits with the whole bicycle vibe. Just looked outside, the rain has stopped temporarily, going to get in a quick few miles.
Old 08-01-21, 10:05 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've mounted a few sets of GP5000TLs tubeless with my thumbs. I'm hardly a gorilla. *shrug*

It comes down to the specific rim you're using, rim manufacturers can't seem to agree on something as basic as bead seat diameter tolerance... Spraying down the bead with soapy water and getting the entire bead in the center trough before trying to mount the last bit of the bead help a lot as well. After you run the tire for a few weeks, they tend to stretch just a bit and they're easier to get on and off.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 08-01-21, 10:47 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I just ordered some new tires. Didn't go with Continental, just because of the reputation of how hard it is to get on and off the rim. A friend has them on one of his bikes, said even with a tire bead jack it was very difficult to mount the tires. Doesn't sound like fun if had to repair or replace a tube while on a ride. Seems that Continental would be aware of this. Is there a reason why their tires must fit so tight, that they won't change. Seems like it could be done, and would result in increased sales. Whaddaya think?
Tight-fitting tires are good if you have a flat at speed. They won't come off the rim and flop around. I assume this is why Continentals are the way they are.

I'd suggest thinner rim tape, and to keep working on your technique. The old advice was to start at the valve when mounting the beads and finish on the opposite side -- when you're mounting the second bead, try starting opposite the valve and finishing at the valve. This gives a little more slack when you need it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-01-21, 11:02 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
@ ThermionicScott--good point about flatting at speed. Don't know what rims my friend has that made mounting his Contis so difficult. He built a bamboo bike, works on firends bikes, and is a good mechanic, figure he'd have tire changing down, but maybe it's his technique (tho he said he was keeping the beads in the center channel), so probably the rims). My rims are the stock Bontrager that came on my '06 LeMond. Might have to try Contis after the ones I have coming wear out-other than mounting (and maybe others technique isn't great either), they seem to get very good reviews.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-01-21, 12:30 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I "feel ya". A few years ago I tried a pair of Continental Touring IIs for commuting. They were nice, but now every time I consider new tires and I see "Continental" I remember how stupid hard they were to mount and I pass.
Old 08-01-21, 12:51 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I put brand new Conti’s on my recumbent this spring. I put the chore off for like two months because of bad memories about installation. I slipped the new ones on just fine. They were 26x1.5. YMMV.

Old 08-01-21, 01:47 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 74 Posts
I have relatively new Continental 5000's on a 1986 Klein Quantum. Could not get them on and ultimately let my LBS do it.

A few days ago had to fix a flat and barely got the tire on and off myself. So difficult that I am considering replacing them soon with something more manageable.
Old 08-01-21, 01:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
5000s went on 15year old Mavic Open Pro rims went on by hand without too much prob. Haven't tried getting them off.

My tubular Sprinters (on 2 bikes) go on without a problem, but that's not what you run.
Old 08-01-21, 03:19 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
No, not an issue for most.
Tim
Old 08-01-21, 04:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
One thing about the Continentals with the cross hatch patttern (gator hardshells, gatorskins, 4-season, etc).

After I mount tires, I like to squeeze the tire and pull my fingers around the rim to straighten the valve just a touch. I did find doing so wasn't as effective as other brands. A lot harder to pull. So, perhaps a bit tight fitting. But, it also created a fuzzy mess out of the tires.

I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THAT!!!

Fortunately, it didn't seem to impact the overall strength or durability of the tire. I also had other Continentals that the crossed fibers just got old without any specific damage.

My interpretation is that outer layer of fibers is simply cosmetic.

I did blow the bead off of one Gator Hardshell, 70 miles from new. I'm still not quite sure what caused the failure, but I attributed it to a slight over-pressure from mounting in the cool evening before the ride, and pumping it to my max pressure before a hot ride the next day.
Old 08-01-21, 04:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Sometimes it's the rim and not the tire that makes the tire install difficult...Sometimes it's lack of proper technique.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-01-21, 05:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
My Conti Top Touring II tires are not difficult to mount.
Old 08-01-21, 05:38 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I admit to snapping a few tire levers with Gatorskins.
I now use a three lever technique that makes it tolerable.
Old 08-01-21, 05:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
harder to mount on the alloy wheels than carbon has been my experience. After some use out on the road during the hot season, it became easier to dismount & mount.
Old 08-01-21, 06:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Seems the point has been well made but I'll chime in anyway. I just replaced a worn GP5000 with a new one. The old came off easily and the new mounted w/o drama, thumbs only, no levers. It's more about the rim. However, I wouldn't ride with a combo that was really difficult. You have to be able to fix a flat on the road. That may mean experimenting with tires and even wheels until you find what works. Don't be the slacker who has to call Mommy.
Old 08-01-21, 09:06 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Continentals haven’t generally been a problem. I had way more problem with Compass (now Rene Herse) RTP 26ers. Even hard to take on and off when they were worn out. Best rolling 26er but I replaced them with Continental Contact Speed, which (I have said more than once) are about 1000 times easier for me to deal with.

Otto
Old 08-01-21, 10:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The only Continental tires I've needed a bead jack to mount are Ultra Sport 2. Good tires but almost impossible to mount without a bead jack. And it doesn't get easier with repeated mounting/removing/remounting. Same tightness with both folding and wire bead versions of the Ultra Sport 2.

I also ride Conti GP Classic skinwalls, which are easy to mount without tools. And Conti Sport Contact 2 wire bead on my hybrid, also easy to mount by hand.

I've heard Gatorskins are difficult to mount on some wheels but I've never used them.

I've been tempted to try a farm-rigged tubeless setup with those Conti Ultra Sport 2 and a tubeless tape on a regular rim, just to see if the US2 tires are suitable for tubeless. They seem to be rubberized all around, with fairly thick, stiff sidewalls. They sure fit tightly enough, seems like it might work. But I keep my bikes in the spare room of my apartment, don't want to risk sealant blown all over the place if it fails.
Old 08-01-21, 11:20 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I admit to snapping a few tire levers with Gatorskins.
I now use a three lever technique that makes it tolerable.
One of my best low cost cycling investments was a set of metal tire levels. No more snapping the ends off. If I can’t wrestle the tire on with my bare hands, knowing I’ve got an “enforcer” in my tool kit is a great comfort. 😅
Likes For raceboy:
Old 08-02-21, 05:55 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 74 Posts
I was told to never use tools to install tires. Only hands , fingers and muscle in order to reduce chance of pinch flats. I found this impossible with the Contis.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 08-02-21, 06:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
One of my best low cost cycling investments was a set of metal tire levels. No more snapping the ends off. If I can’t wrestle the tire on with my bare hands, knowing I’ve got an “enforcer” in my tool kit is a great comfort. 😅
I think the ideal though would be for the levers to be a bit more likely to break than your rims.
Old 08-02-21, 06:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've mounted a few sets of GP5000TLs tubeless with my thumbs. I'm hardly a gorilla. *shrug*

It comes down to the specific rim you're using, rim manufacturers can't seem to agree on something as basic as bead seat diameter tolerance... Spraying down the bead with soapy water and getting the entire bead in the center trough before trying to mount the last bit of the bead help a lot as well. After you run the tire for a few weeks, they tend to stretch just a bit and they're easier to get on and off.
I'm not sure exactly how this works. There are certainly some people who say they have no issue with GP5Ks, but what is often left out is the width of the tire being referenced.

Linked below, is an interesting small reference guide/chart showing ease of installation on 3 of their LB rims. Some tires are easy and some are hard. For tires that are hard to install, if there is a rim out there where it was easy, then I assume the 'easy' tires would almost fall onto those rims?

OTOH, perhaps it's the variations by the tire model width. Look at eg. GP5K 25mm vs 28mm tires. Universally, no matter which of the LB rims you select at the top, the 25mm is extremely hard to install, and the 28mm pretty easy.

OTOH again, contradicting this is to look at the Schwalbe Pro One TR 25mm results. An '8' in difficulty on LB's narrowest rim, but only a '2' on their widest hooked rim, while the Conti tire predictably got more difficult to install?

It's a strange relationship or issue; that seems evident.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...th-Charts.html
Old 08-02-21, 06:25 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
I use a ton on Continental tires. Never need anything to mount them other than good technique and my hands. And I'm an old geezer.

Can't say the same for the Challenge tires I've used, LOL!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.