Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Raleigh MV8 Mini Velo Thread

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Raleigh MV8 Mini Velo Thread

Old 09-24-17, 11:11 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great conversion to 451. I have never seen the brake conversions before---pretty cool.
Old 09-26-17, 12:21 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
Great conversion to 451. I have never seen the brake conversions before---pretty cool.
Thanks.
It was a learning process for me too.
Old 10-08-22, 08:11 PM
passerby38

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Howdy guys, fellow singaporean here. recently i got a 2nd hand mv8 as well now stripping it apart and trying to setup a simple 1x7 dropbar. Pinholecam wonder if u could pm as im new here and cant pm u due to insufficient posts, wanna find out more from you regarding ur paint job and the brake reach distance after d 451 conversion for front n rear
Old 10-09-22, 07:24 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by passerby38
Howdy guys, fellow singaporean here. recently i got a 2nd hand mv8 as well now stripping it apart and trying to setup a simple 1x7 dropbar. Pinholecam wonder if u could pm as im new here and cant pm u due to insufficient posts, wanna find out more from you regarding ur paint job and the brake reach distance after d 451 conversion for front n rear

PM sent.
Old 10-09-22, 07:38 PM
passerby38

Originally Posted by pinholecam
PM sent.
oh dear still havent hit 10 posts still unable to even see your pm too
Old 10-09-22, 08:44 PM
pinholecam

oh dear still havent hit 10 posts still unable to even see your pm too

451 conversion, you need brake extenders.
Something like these
Litepro V-brake Extenders, Sports Equipment, Bicycles & Parts, Parts & Accessories on Carousell

You can find similar item from the usual SG shopping sites (Carousell, Shoppee, Lazada )

Paint job, I just bought a few cans of acrylic spray paint (I used RJ, you can use other brands as well ).
Sanding down the existing paint will be a bit hard, use a high roughness sandpaper and then a smoother one ones the initial coat is off.
Since these bikes come as Red, White, Black, you can also just sand down till the top clear coat is off and just spray over the base coat.
Old 10-10-22, 02:41 AM
passerby38

Something like these
Litepro V-brake Extenders, Sports Equipment, Bicycles & Parts, Parts & Accessories on Carousell

You can find similar item from the usual SG shopping sites (Carousell, Shoppee, Lazada )

Paint job, I just bought a few cans of acrylic spray paint (I used RJ, you can use other brands as well ).
Sanding down the existing paint will be a bit hard, use a high roughness sandpaper and then a smoother one ones the initial coat is off.
Since these bikes come as Red, White, Black, you can also just sand down till the top clear coat is off and just spray over the base coat.
im trying to make a simple dropbar 1x7speed using those cheaper micronew brifters. i think i bought a pair of those old type caliper which is long arm as the 406 wheel is an issue lol theres still alot of clearance like the reach needs to be 80+mm for the calipers. yea im still in the process of removing the paint, awfully painful and hellish. i used paint removal, the chemical agent stings man, scrapper and metal brush. any tiny spec of paint that you scrap and land on ur skin it stings, really a nightmare but the first layer of paint more or less all gone, left with some old primer layer and stubborn bits i probably could sand it down a quick one. Yea i just lazada saw a few nippon metallic colors (they say contains d reflective alu flakes) so i guess that could be a nice option
Old 10-10-22, 08:02 PM
passerby38

Something like these

Btw bro, for primer layer, does it matter for the choice of primer color? My intended color for the frame will be dark blue, if im getting like the common white primer spray, it wont affect my main dark blue color spray right?
Old 10-10-22, 09:17 PM
pinholecam

Btw bro, for primer layer, does it matter for the choice of primer color? My intended color for the frame will be dark blue, if im getting like the common white primer spray, it wont affect my main dark blue color spray right?
It won't matter if you will have many coats of the main color.
If its few layers, the base color will affect the tone of the color on top.

Because the base coat was almost enamel like hard, (mine was a white bike), I basically left that on and sprayed my color over that.
The advantage of black will be that in the even of a scratch and the base color holds, black is usually less obvious.
Old 10-11-22, 06:43 AM
passerby38

It won't matter if you will have many coats of the main color.
If its few layers, the base color will affect the tone of the color on top.

Because the base coat was almost enamel like hard, (mine was a white bike), I basically left that on and sprayed my color over that.
The advantage of black will be that in the even of a scratch and the base color holds, black is usually less obvious.
will getting just one can of primer, main coat and lacquer suffice for the mv8 frame? i think the standard size 400ml volume one
Old 10-11-22, 07:23 AM
pinholecam

will getting just one can of primer, main coat and lacquer suffice for the mv8 frame? i think the standard size 400ml volume one
IIRC, I needed 2 cans of paint. Did not use a primer nor lacquer.
Since I did about 4 coats, I needed 2 cans.
My use of the bike is a beater bike so I did not go through a lot of the extra work to make it too nice....
Old 10-11-22, 07:44 AM
passerby38

IIRC, I needed 2 cans of paint. Did not use a primer nor lacquer.
Since I did about 4 coats, I needed 2 cans.
My use of the bike is a beater bike so I did not go through a lot of the extra work to make it too nice....
lol but no way man, your spray paint work looks pretty smooth and nice man!
Likes For passerby38:
Old 10-30-22, 11:47 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I want one of these framesets so badly! How can I find someone willing to ship one to the me? I'm in the USA.

Last edited by Nyah; 10-31-22 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-19-22, 08:29 AM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Nyah
I want one of these framesets so badly! How can I find someone willing to ship one to the me? I'm in the USA.
The frame design seems to be out of production already.
Anyway, I think its not worth the cost shipping to the US.
You are probably better off getting a nice velo orange mini velo or something like that which is more common over your side.
Old 11-19-22, 10:26 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
The frame design seems to be out of production already.
Anyway, I think its not worth the cost shipping to the US.
You are probably better off getting a nice velo orange mini velo or something like that which is more common over your side.
Velo Orange unfortunately doesn't offer a mini-velo frameset that I'd consider. I'd rather pay Indonesia-used plus shipping to the US, for a Raleigh MV8. It's a much better thought out bicycle than the Neutrino is.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 11-20-22, 12:00 AM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Nyah
Velo Orange unfortunately doesn't offer a mini-velo frameset that I'd consider. I'd rather pay Indonesia-used plus shipping to the US, for a Raleigh MV8. It's a much better thought out bicycle than the Neutrino is.
Not cheap, but the real deal is actually the Japanese Raleigh RSC
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/RALEIG.../dp/B07JVRQ3SK

There is also this RSP model
https://www.carousell.sg/p/rare-rale...lo-1059437080/

For a more modern take for a mini velo with a similar vein of desgin. Maybe an Ascent Bolt.
https://www.ascent-bikes.com/mini-velo
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 11-20-22, 04:42 AM
passerby38

the classic geometry. this rsw very hard to even see in singapore and other countries too? love it but high price tag haha guess i'll just diy my mv8 hehe
Old 11-20-22, 11:12 PM
pinholecam

the classic geometry. this rsw very hard to even see in singapore and other countries too? love it but high price tag haha guess i'll just diy my mv8 hehe
When I first started out looking at a mini velo, there was also the GIOS Mignon (Bike Settlement used to sell them).
I have only ever seen them in that shop and not on the road though.
Nice looking steel tubing bike with those skinny tubings.
But was in the S$1.2K range at that time.
Old 11-20-22, 11:29 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 332 Posts
I'd look into a Dahon Dash or Altena and be done with it. A bonus is that they fold but that need not deter nor distract you.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 11-20-22 at 11:32 PM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 11-21-22, 03:34 AM
passerby38

yikes equally crazy priced haha, quite similar to those bianchi and masi velo pricing