Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wheels - lighter weight vs aero

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wheels - lighter weight vs aero

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 02:05 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Which is why I prefer circular ones.
Octagonal (dodecahedral even better) ones wear down to round eventually.
Old 02-16-23, 02:15 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3416 Post(s)
Liked 3,544 Times in 1,783 Posts
For giggles, here's the answer from ChatGPT, which must have been reading BF:
In general, lighter wheels will make the bike feel more responsive and easier to accelerate, which can be an advantage on steep climbs where a rider needs to repeatedly increase and decrease their cadence. However, for longer climbs, where sustained power output is required, aero wheels can offer an advantage by reducing wind resistance and helping a rider maintain a higher average speed over time.
That being said, aero wheels are typically heavier than traditional, shallow-rimmed wheels, so the added weight could offset some of the aerodynamic gains, especially on steeper gradients.
Ultimately, the choice between light wheels and aero wheels for climbing on a bicycle will depend on a rider's individual preferences and goals, as well as the specific demands of the terrain they are riding on. For most riders, a balance between lightness and aerodynamics will be the best choice.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-16-23, 03:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
So you are a know it all about ALL rims produced now. Sorry I dont believe that. If you are an engineering expert, tell us why wouldnt all 3 things I mentioned be true?
One does not need to know everything about all rims being produced, or be an engineering expert, to recognize current trends in how wheels are being built, and understand the reasons why. Also, just because something can be made a certain way, doesn't mean that's the way it's being done in the real world.

A triangular shape may be a stronger structure shape for some applications, but it is not the most aerodynamically efficient for the application of a bike wheel, and therefore not a shape that is predominantly used. This has been going on since rim brakes were still the standard for road bikes, and has trended further away from triangular over the years. A rim doesn't need to be as strong as it possibly can be, it just needs to be strong enough to serve the demands of how it's used. It turns out that strong enough, light weight, and improved aero properties are all achievable with modern carbon fiber technology.
Old 02-16-23, 03:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
So you are a know it all about ALL rims produced now. Sorry I dont believe that. If you are an engineering expert, tell us why wouldnt all 3 things I mentioned be true?
Or ... since you made the claim ... produce some examples.
Old 02-16-23, 03:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

As far as profiles, I thought ogive cross-sections mated in width to the mounted, inflated tire had been shown to be the most aerodynamic?
Old 02-16-23, 03:17 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
One does not need to know everything about all rims being produced, or be an engineering expert, to recognize current trends in how wheels are being built, and understand the reasons why. Also, just because something can be made a certain way, doesn't mean that's the way it's being done in the real world.

A triangular shape may be a stronger structure shape for some applications, but it is not the most aerodynamically efficient for the application of a bike wheel, and therefore not a shape that is predominantly used. This has been going on since rim brakes were still the standard for road bikes, and has trended further away from triangular over the years. A rim doesn't need to be as strong as it possibly can be, it just needs to be strong enough to serve the demands of how it's used. It turns out that strong enough, light weight, and improved aero properties are all achievable with modern carbon fiber technology.
I read rydabent's comments about triangular-section rims as referring to deep aero rims. They're certainly closer to being triangular in section than conventional box-section rims. Made sense to me.
Old 02-16-23, 03:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I read rydabent's comments about triangular-section rims as referring to deep aero rims. They're certainly closer to being triangular in section than conventional box-section rims. Made sense to me.
Hmmm...Maybe you're right. That said, some of Zipp's rims don't look very triangle-y...
Old 02-16-23, 03:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Nah, there was nothing about deep aero rims vs. box rims in his statement. It was all about disc brake wheels and brake tracks:
With out the brake area, the profile can be more triangular, and everyone knows a triangle is exceptionally strong.
Old 02-16-23, 03:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Maelochs
As far as profiles, I thought ogive cross-sections mated in width to the mounted, inflated tire had been shown to be the most aerodynamic?
Compared with tires that are significantly wider than the rim (ice cream cone profile), yes. Matching rim and tires width is more aero. This is a big part of the reason why there has been a trend for wider rim widths.
Old 02-16-23, 04:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Which is why I prefer circular ones.
Imagine riding them....

*THUD...THUD...THUD...*

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-16-23, 04:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by terrymorse
For giggles, here's the answer from ChatGPT, which must have been reading BF:
In general, lighter wheels will make the bike feel more responsive and easier to accelerate, which can be an advantage on steep climbs where a rider needs to repeatedly increase and decrease their cadence. However, for longer climbs, where sustained power output is required, aero wheels can offer an advantage by reducing wind resistance and helping a rider maintain a higher average speed over time.
That being said, aero wheels are typically heavier than traditional, shallow-rimmed wheels, so the added weight could offset some of the aerodynamic gains, especially on steeper gradients.
Ultimately, the choice between light wheels and aero wheels for climbing on a bicycle will depend on a rider's individual preferences and goals, as well as the specific demands of the terrain they are riding on. For most riders, a balance between lightness and aerodynamics will be the best choice.
Artificial Equivocation.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-16-23, 04:24 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Hmmm...Maybe you're right. That said, some of Zipp's rims don't look very triangle-y...
While not a perfect triangle, they are what I was talking about. And notice there is not much metal in the area of the rim hook where the tire bead latches on to the rim.

Then----------remember not all rim makers are up to speed on the fact that disc brakes are here to say. They will have to get in new machinery to make the new lighter aero rims.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-16-23, 04:30 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
While not a perfect triangle, they are what I was talking about. And notice there is not much metal in the area of the rim hook where the tire bead latches on to the rim.

Then----------remember not all rim makers are up to speed on the fact that disc brakes are here to say. They will have to get in new machinery to make the new lighter aero rims.
There isn't any metal in the area of the rim hook where the tire bead latches on to the rim.

These are the new lighter aero rims.

smh

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-16-23, 04:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yes, an oval is not a perfect triangle.

Old 02-16-23, 04:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

There is zero metal in these rims.

Which rim makers are denying that disc brakes are here to stay? I'm genuinely curious. It seems to me that rim brake wheel options are getting thinner as time goes on, which reflects the types of bikes being sold.
Old 02-16-23, 05:31 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Imagine riding them....

*THUD...THUD...THUD...*
All I can tell you is that it would be a real ***** to mount the tires.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-16-23, 07:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
I asked an AI bot about aerodynamic versus light weight wheels:

Q: When climbing long grades and then doing long flat roads, which bicycle wheels are more efficient, aerodynamic or light weight?A: When climbing long grades, lightweight wheels are more efficient than aerodynamic wheels, as the reduced weight makes it easier to climb uphill. However, when riding on flat roads, aerodynamic wheels can be more efficient, as the reduced drag can allow you to move faster with less effort. Therefore, depending on the terrain, both aerodynamic and lightweight wheels can be beneficial.

Then I rephrased the question omitting hill climbing.

Q: Which bicycle wheels are more efficient, Aerodynamic or light weight?

A: Generally speaking, aerodynamic wheels are more efficient than lightweight wheels. Aerodynamic wheels are designed to reduce drag and increase the speed at which a cyclist can ride. This is achieved by using a deep profile and a smooth surface that reduces air resistance. Lightweight wheels, on the other hand, reduce weight but do not improve aerodynamic performance as much. That said, the best wheels for cycling are those that are both lightweight and aerodynamic.
Conclusion: when riding on mixed terrain use one of each.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-16-23, 07:47 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
At least the chat bots are not yet claiming that rotational mass is worth 10x static mass. Maybe they will when they’ve heard it stated enough times on BF.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-16-23, 08:19 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
What if you ride a tricycle?
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-16-23, 10:47 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by rsbob
Perfection.

This is why we need not fear AI taking over the world.
Old 02-17-23, 07:04 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Zipp has changed their profile a lot of the years, from pointy triangular-like to bulbous toroidal cross sections with more recent ones less so. All dictated on the marketing. Joking aside, selecting the shape and depth as well as fitting a proper width tire depends on wind conditions, rider weight, rider skill, and rider speed. I have some wheels where the stall characteristic is unpleasant and others where it is much less so.

The new 303 Firecrests are much pointier than obsolete diagrams several posts up. The attached is well worth the read as long as the marketing drivel is ignored. I am very surprised at the claimed Crr benefits for the new 303 Firecrests, I have a set and planned to compare the CdA and Crr to a more narrow 62 mm set of wheels but am awaiting kinder weather.

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/pu...explained2.pdf
Old 02-17-23, 11:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

The new 303 Firecrests are much pointier than obsolete diagrams several posts up. The attached is well worth the read as long as the marketing drivel is ignored. I am very surprised at the claimed Crr benefits for the new 303 Firecrests, I have a set and planned to compare the CdA and Crr to a more narrow 62 mm set of wheels but am awaiting kinder weather.

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/pu...explained2.pdf
Interesting read on several counts.

The acceleration comparison was interesting to show the effect of wheel rotational inertia on power:-

Full bore sprint acceleration from 40 kph at 0.13G requires 1067W for the bike/rider + 9.2W for wheel rotational inertia. Reducing wheelset mass by 300g and wheel inertia by 23.5% gives a reduction in required power of 4W, of which only 0.6W is due to the reduction in rotational inertia. You get that whopping advantage for as long as you can accelerate at 0.13G i.e. a few seconds at most until your speed tops out.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-17-23, 12:24 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Well-----------------up hill-------------down hill------------------and on the flats.
Old 02-17-23, 12:30 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Trikes use tri-spoke wheels. Everyone knows that.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-17-23, 09:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Interesting read on several counts.

The acceleration comparison was interesting to show the effect of wheel rotational inertia on power:-

Full bore sprint acceleration from 40 kph at 0.13G requires 1067W for the bike/rider + 9.2W for wheel rotational inertia. Reducing wheelset mass by 300g and wheel inertia by 23.5% gives a reduction in required power of 4W, of which only 0.6W is due to the reduction in rotational inertia. You get that whopping advantage for as long as you can accelerate at 0.13G i.e. a few seconds at most until your speed tops out.
Well it took a hell of a lot of chatter— 269 posts to be exact— to prove the veracity of the aphorism stated in post #3: aero trumps weight.

Thanks for carrying the torch, PeteHski.
Likes For chaadster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.