Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wheels - lighter weight vs aero

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wheels - lighter weight vs aero

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 11:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
What if you ride a tricycle?
Then do it in zero gravity and any combination will be fine.

Old 02-17-23, 11:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Interesting read on several counts.

The acceleration comparison was interesting to show the effect of wheel rotational inertia on power:-

Full bore sprint acceleration from 40 kph at 0.13G requires 1067W for the bike/rider + 9.2W for wheel rotational inertia. Reducing wheelset mass by 300g and wheel inertia by 23.5% gives a reduction in required power of 4W, of which only 0.6W is due to the reduction in rotational inertia. You get that whopping advantage for as long as you can accelerate at 0.13G i.e. a few seconds at most until your speed tops out.
Although wonderfully presented sadly these myths predate logic and are deeply rooted.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 02-18-23 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-18-23, 06:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Although wonderfully presented sadly these myths predate logic and are deeply routed.
It doesn't help when you get bike reviewers saying how they can "feel" the improved acceleration of lighter wheels, when they are just a few hundred grams lighter. Plus they often assume it's mainly due to rotational inertia rather than just the extra bike mass.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-18-23, 06:51 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
How much longer until Spring?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 02-18-23, 10:04 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 283 Posts
I'm an antique slug. I don't race anyone and don't pretend to be "training". I prefer light wheels cos they make the bike feel more responsive and I like that. Makes my rides more enjoyable. And that's all that matters to me.
Ride whatever for whatever reason. If it makes you happy that's all that really matters this side of the TdF.
Old 02-18-23, 10:15 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Although wonderfully presented sadly these myths predate logic and are deeply routed.
They had bicycles in ancient Greece?
Old 02-18-23, 10:19 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

It doesn't help when you get bike reviewers saying how they can "feel" the improved acceleration of lighter wheels, when they are just a few hundred grams lighter. Plus they often assume it's mainly due to rotational inertia rather than just the extra bike mass.
It helps remind people that their feelings actually count, and that there is more work to do on the 'model'.

Old 02-18-23, 10:24 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Routed?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-18-23, 10:42 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Probably not, but the these silly old beliefs are somehow imprinted on a cadre of older riders who frequent these forums. From the effect of lighter wheels to not participating in marital relations before a big ride we have learned a lot over the past 50 years.
Old 02-18-23, 10:52 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
They had routers in Ancient Greece?
Old 02-18-23, 10:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
I've had bicycles covered in ancient grease.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-18-23, 10:56 AM
PeteHski

It helps remind people that their feelings actually count, and that there is more work to do on the 'model'.
There is no more work required on the “model”. It already includes wheel rotational inertia. You just don’t like to hear the result that it isn’t important - not even at peak acceleration in a sprint. Or are you going to argue that Newton’s laws of motion are incorrect?
Old 02-18-23, 11:38 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
The Real World

That SwissSide article also has a neat representation of the micro speed variations during the pedal stroke. Note the swings are actually higher with lower rotational weight.

Quote: "Although the total kinetic energy of a bicycle is the sum of translational and rotational kinetic energy, rotational energy is only a tiny part of the total. Reducing rotational weight of rims, tires, and tubes saves energy only when the wheel is accelerating, and, as long as the rider doesn’t hit the brakes, he or she gets that energy back when the wheel is decelerating."
Mister Hski, you have worked in F1, and thus you are one of the few people who I might envy. To be perfectly clear: I have a degree in a physical science (geology), a year of physics (only trig based), a year of calculus, and some graduate classes. I believe in science and physics and the power of numbers. I have competed in over 100 mass start events, and have won the Mt. Tam hill climb (as a lowly Cat 3), was first over the top (easily) at Mount Hamilton, got invited to join an elite amateur team, etc.,etc. I have very little natural ability, any results I got were from training as intelligently and as hard as possible. I'm no dimwit stuck in the past, I agree with everything you are saying except for the real-world example crudely illustrated in the following scenario:
The Old Dullard and the Talented Engineer are equally strong and fit racers, and now their race takes an upward course. The Old Dullard is on his climbing wheels, with crappy old 28 spoke sew-up rims like these
Pity poor Old Dullard, I'm surprised he can even get from point A to point B on such equipment. Now look at the Talented Engineer, he has a modern deep section carbon aero rim (460 grams vs 290 gram sew-up rim). Let's assume all the tires in this scenario are in the 230 gram range, or whatever. The average grade is only 7%, but there are some steeper and shallower sections, as you encounter in the real world.
The Old Dullard attacks on the climb and puts some distance between himself and the Talented Engineer. Now the Talented Engineer is thrice ****ed because:
-He is behind
-He is moving slower
-His bicycle doesn't accelerate on a climb as efficiently.

Last edited by venturi95; 02-18-23 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-18-23, 11:52 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

There is no more work required on the “model”. It already includes wheel rotational inertia. You just don’t like to hear the result that it isn’t important - not even at peak acceleration in a sprint. Or are you going to argue that Newton’s laws of motion are incorrect?
The work required must lie in the simplifying assumptions, then. They are too simple.

The snider you get with your "Because..PHYSICS!!" argument, the lower my opinion of you becomes.
Old 02-18-23, 11:59 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by venturi95
Mister Hski, you have worked in F1, and thus you are one of the few people who I might envy. To be perfectly clear: I have a degree in a physical science (geology), a year of physics (only trig based), a year of calculus, and some graduate classes. I believe in science and physics and the power of numbers.
No offense, but one year of physics means you've barely scratched the surface.

Originally Posted by vebturi95
The Old Dullard attacks on the climb and puts some distance between himself and the Talented Engineer. Now the Talented Engineer is thrice ****ed because:
-He is behind
-He is moving slower
-His bicycle doesn't accelerate on a climb as efficiently.
Good story (fable?), but physics indicates that situation isn't realistic.
Old 02-18-23, 12:10 PM
tomato coupe

The snider you get with your "Because..PHYSICS!!" argument, the lower my opinion of you becomes.
The problem with discussing physics on a forum like this, is that quite often someone with a minimal understanding of physics is the most vocal debater of someone that does understand physics. The latter participant sometimes resorts to "because ... physics" simply because the former does not understand the physics.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-18-23, 12:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The problem with discussing physics on a forum like this, is that quite often someone with a minimal understanding of physics is the most vocal debater of someone that does understand physics. The latter participant sometimes resorts to "because ... physics" simply because the former does not understand the physics.
Side note, but this is one of the reasons why I left the P&R subforum, where my area of expertise often pops up. I would feel compelled to rebut nonsense, but it was almost always futile. When people's understanding of a subject is so low that they are embracing mythology, it's difficult to engage them with logic and evidence.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-18-23, 12:24 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Koyote
When people's understanding of a subject is so low that they are embracing mythology, it's difficult to engage them with logic and evidence.
Not only difficult, but generally not worth the time and effort required, because they will never consider that they are wrong.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-18-23, 12:25 PM
PeteHski

The work required must lie in the simplifying assumptions, then. They are too simple.

How arrogant do you have to be to put your own subjective belief ahead of those guys at Swiss Side, Zipp, Best Bike Splits etc and people here with Physics, Maths and Engineering degrees? Maybe you could just argue that Newton’s second law is incomplete?
Old 02-18-23, 12:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Good story (fable?), but physics indicates that situation isn't realistic.
As a racing tactic, it's quite realistic.

The climber with high power to bike+rider weight ratio attacks on the steepest section of the course, because it is where they:
  • have the biggest advantage
  • can inflict the most suffering on other riders
  • stand the best chance of getting the biggest gap
The climber, once off the front, no longer has the advantage on the shallower grades. But if they have a substantial gap, the other riders may decide not to chase.

A racer picks the weapon that inflicts the most damage on their competitors. For a course with significant steep sections, a climber's most effective weapon is often reduced weight.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-18-23, 12:34 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by terrymorse

The climber with high power to bike+rider weight ratio attacks on the steepest section of the course, because it is where they:
  • have the biggest advantage
  • can inflict the most suffering on other riders
  • stand the best chance of getting the biggest gap
The climber, once off the front, no longer has the advantage on the shallower grades. But if they have a substantial gap, the other riders may decide not to chase.

A racer picks the weapon that inflicts the most damage on their competitors. For a course with significant steep sections, a climber's most effective weapon is often reduced weight.
Yeah, that's basic racing tactics. But, the effect of slightly less rotating mass in the attacker's wheels, which is the topic being debated, is meaningless.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-18-23, 12:40 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Koyote
Side note, but this is one of the reasons why I left the P&R subforum, where my area of expertise often pops up. I would feel compelled to rebut nonsense, but it was almost always futile. When people's understanding of a subject is so low that they are embracing mythology, it's difficult to engage them with logic and evidence.
I have exactly the same issue here and even more so on car forums. Having a background in engineering and vehicle dynamics can be pretty frustrating at times. But when I read something that is clear nonsense I can’t help but comment for the sake of anyone else who might actually believe it. Then you get told you are rude for even questioning the nonsense. There are a lot of armchair engineers around here that simply don’t want to listen.
Old 02-18-23, 12:49 PM
PeteHski

Sure, if you can save a kg in weight then you may gain the best part of a minute on a 1 hour alpine climb for the same power. But the effect of reduced rotational inertia for your 30 sec attack (where you are probably accelerating for a handful of seconds at most) is going to be ridiculously small.
Old 02-18-23, 01:28 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Sure, if you can save a kg in weight then you may gain the best part of a minute on a 1 hour alpine climb for the same power. But the effect of reduced rotational inertia for your 30 sec attack (where you are probably accelerating for a handful of seconds at most) is going to be ridiculously small.
Then there's the not well understood muscle fatigue effect of acceleration-deceleration on every pedal stroke. It's the "throwing a heavy ball a short distance vs. throwing a light ball a long distance" problem. It's certainly a small effect, given the wheel mass differences in question. But I'm not convinced (yet) it's ridiculously small.

Old 02-18-23, 01:47 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Then there's the not well understood muscle fatigue effect of acceleration-deceleration on every pedal stroke. It's the "throwing a heavy ball a short distance vs. throwing a light ball a long distance" problem. It's certainly a small effect, given the wheel mass differences in question. But I'm not convinced (yet) it's ridiculously small.
Isn't weight inconsequential in that? You spend the same energy with a heavy and light bike but you just go slower with the heavier bike.

Also since the heavier wheel maintains speed better it'd likely be less fatiguing.

Last edited by elcruxio; 02-18-23 at 02:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.