Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What it means to be a "cyclist"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What it means to be a "cyclist"

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 09:26 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Riding a bike is something I do. But being a dad is definitely part of who I am.
Same here but I fully realize that some people view us as "Cyclists" but I also will say that, in part, it's because a minority of cyclists that actually do act poorly on the road and have a terrible attitude. They make it difficult for all of us.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 05-26-23, 11:15 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,057 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Agreed.

Riding a bike is something I do. But being a dad is definitely part of who I am.
Being a dad is part of who I am. Being a grandfather...brother...son...husband...friend...are all part of who I am. Being a musician is part of who I am, and so is being a cyclist. All of us are an amalgam of multiple things. Although I drive more frequently than I ride my bikes, I don't consider myself a "driver" in the same way I consider myself a "cyclist". Cycling is activity I am passionate about, I think about when I'm not doing it (exemplified by my level of participation on BF), and rates pretty high on my priority list of activities. I drive because it's necessary in my life. I don't dislike driving, and sometimes it can be enjoyable, but if I have a couple hours of free time to do what I want, I'm not going out for a drive just for the joy of driving. I'm getting one of my bikes, or playing one of my guitars. (IMO, YMMV)

Last edited by Eric F; 05-26-23 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-26-23, 11:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Same here but I fully realize that some people view us as "Cyclists" but I also will say that, in part, it's because a minority of cyclists that actually do act poorly on the road and have a terrible attitude. They make it difficult for all of us.
Well, they make it difficult for the rest of us only in the sense that shallow, stupid people lump us in with them and make us answerable for the actions of that minority of cyclists.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-26-23, 11:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,097 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik

Honestly, I think that last stuff is nonsense. I see drivers who act badly much more frequently than I ever encounter cyclists doing so, I think part of the problem is that actually encountering the misbehavior of individual cyclists is such a relatively rare event that people actually remember it, while rude and dangerous driving is so commonplace it doesn't even register.
Old 05-26-23, 11:58 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Thank you for letting us know that your false assumptions are based completely on your own willful ignorance.
Actually I got notjustbikes confused with pathlesspedaled so yeah I was pretty lost.
Old 05-26-23, 12:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Honestly, I think that last stuff is nonsense. I see drivers who act badly much more frequently than I ever encounter cyclists doing so, I think part of the problem is that actually encountering the misbehavior of individual cyclists is such a relatively rare event that people actually remember it, while rude and dangerous driving is so commonplace it doesn't even register.
In Group/Out Group, or Default/Variant, if you will.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-26-23, 12:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Actually I got notjustbikes confused with pathlesspedaled so yeah I was pretty lost.
Similar names, so I can understand that.
Old 05-26-23, 12:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Haven't read all the posts, but at least one broken collarbone is required to be a cyclist, two broken to be a 'real' cyclist.
Old 05-26-23, 03:17 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I take all my aluminum and other stuff to the recycling center. Would that make me a re al cyclist?
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-26-23, 04:30 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I’m a cyclist full stop
I go a step further, I am a "Proficient Cyclist".
Old 05-26-23, 04:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,057 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I take all my aluminum and other stuff to the recycling center. Would that make me a re al cyclist?
I used to ride, I stopped for a long time, then I started riding again. I'm a re-cyclist.
Old 05-30-23, 12:08 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
I cycled a bunch over the holiday weekend. I felt dehumanized.
Old 06-02-23, 09:58 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I am beginning to wonder whether cyclists really are subject to any more road rage than other "traffic".
I don't believe we are. Your point is valid that we are more sensitive to it on an unprotected bike, but the fact is that a certain number of drivers are careless and/or unsafe, and a small number of them are aggressively so. As humans, we tend to register the exception to the rule more than the actual rate of occurence, so we focus on the occasional unsafe jerk and fail t notice that the vast majority of road users are simply going about their business in a relatively safe manner.
FWIW, that works the other way, too. Drivers see dozens/hundreds/thousands of cyclists a year. They don't remember the ones who simply ride where they're going, operate safely, and obey the law. They notice the ones who run red lights, weave through traffic, slow them down, or yell at drivers. C'est la vie.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-02-23, 12:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,097 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I’m a cyclist full stop

If you're fully stopped, are you actually cycling?

For the humor impaired--I know what "full stop" really means. That's the joke.
Old 06-03-23, 09:53 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
What’s it mean? You probably aren’t great at team sports. Have limited coordination compared to other high skill sports. Might be more cerebral than the average bear. Have a decent income. Might be more of a loner or shy. Enjoy alone time. Don’t care much about what others think of your ‘sport’. Maybe highly competitive or just enjoy a relaxing ride. Fairly well educated. Are a risk taker, to a limited degree. Enjoy achievement.

That list should provide lots of controversy and dissent which is why I put it out there. But it may also have a few kernels of truth. I won’t even bother to defend the list. Have at it.