Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

S12S LTD Fuji 18 speed Seatpost question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-05-23, 09:38 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 226 Posts

Getting down the end of a rest-mod 650b conversion. Quite fun! I need a seat post for this and was looking at old posts. Looks like these use 26.6 posts, the original being an SP-H..
This is a 25" frame and I am wondering what my post length should be. I am over 200 pounds as well, if that matters. I read that too long and you can get binding in the tube, too short you can bend a spot.
I don't need an OEM post, Just need the right post diameter with good adjustability. Any help appreciated
Old 06-05-23, 10:37 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 401 Posts
Don't overthink this, the seatpost length. Just get a seatpost that's the right diameter, and long enough such that the minimum insertion line is inside the seat tube. Measure what you need (crank to seatpost rail clamps) on another bike, and then figure out what length seatpost would work well for you on the S12.

Tons of Laprade seatposts out there in varying lengths and diameters...but for top-shelf adjustibility you'll want something like a Shimano 600/dura ace, campy 2-bolt, or any of the campy copies out there. Likely not a huge number of top-shelf seatpost made for 26.6 I would assume? 26.8/27.0/27.2 are more common. I'd get a laprade and call it a day. It's surprisingly easy to get sucked into researching a little too much into something that just needs to hold your @$$ steady and safe.
Old 06-05-23, 10:43 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Don't overthink this, the seatpost length. Just get a seatpost that's the right diameter, and long enough such that the minimum insertion line is inside the seat tube. Measure what you need (crank to seatpost rail clamps) on another bike, and then figure out what length seatpost would work well for you on the S12.

Tons of Laprade seatposts out there in varying lengths and diameters...but for top-shelf adjustibility you'll want something like a Shimano 600/dura ace, campy 2-bolt, or any of the campy copies out there. Likely not a huge number of top-shelf seatpost made for 26.6 I would assume? 26.8/27.0/27.2 are more common. I'd get a laprade and call it a day. It's surprisingly easy to get sucked into researching a little too much into something that just needs to hold your @$$ steady and safe.
Cool. Plus, the fluted posts look really nice. 26.6 is indeed an oddball size