Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is the GP 5000 AS TR "high performance" or "puncture resistant"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-23, 10:02 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

Hi.

I use the SILCA tire pressure calculator to figure out what the recommended tire piressure is for me. Under the "Tire Type" seciton, two of the choice are:
  • High performance tubeless/latex tube
  • Puncture resistant tubeless/latex tube
I'm pretty sure the Continental GP 5000 AS TR is one of these two, but which one? It is the all-season version of the GP 5000 S TR and includes features for better puncture protection, but does that make the tire "puncutre resistant" rather than "high performance"?

I am asking because the recommended pressures between the two choices are about 5-6 PSI apart.

Any insight would be appreciated.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-03-23, 10:27 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I would lean towards high performance. When I see puncture resistance I think specifically about Gatorskins.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 06-03-23, 11:55 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by tFUnK
I would lean towards high performance. When I see puncture resistance I think specifically about Gatorskins.
Thank you for the quick response. That makes sense.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-03-23, 04:23 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4395 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
I agree, I would treat it as a high performance tyre. But you could always split the difference. The recommended pressures are intended only as a starting point anyway.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-03-23, 08:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
5000 miles on my tubeless GP5000s with zero punctures. Total of 11,000 on two sets with one puncture and it was the sidewall.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-03-23, 08:22 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by rsbob
5000 miles on my tubeless GP5000s with zero punctures. Total of 11,000 on two sets with one puncture and it was the sidewall.
Thanks! That sounds promising, especially because your tires are most likely GP 5000 S TR rather than the AS TR, which is supposed to provide even better puncture protection.

Old 06-03-23, 10:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
6 psi is really not much of a difference. Neither one is going to get you in trouble. I'd try the higher simply because letting a little air out mid-ride is so easy. Then ride it. Seem a little too hard? Bleed a touch off and try it. (Do have a means of re-inflating in case you let to much out. A another reason I am such a fan of full frame pumps like the Zephal HPX. Sadly the means to mount them easily on modern bikes has gone the way of the dinosaurs.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-03-23, 11:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by daihard
Thanks! That sounds promising, especially because your tires are most likely GP 5000 S TR rather than the AS TR, which is supposed to provide even better puncture protection.
Actually you are almost quite correct I own 2 sets of S TRs - one had the flat, and my latest tubeless set is the AS TR with zero issues - knock on wood.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-04-23, 09:17 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Conti 5000 is the gatorskin of high end tires. IMHO
Use the pressure that feels best, for me on 5000s that is about 10psi below my Vittoria's and 15psi below my Veloflex.
Old 06-04-23, 01:54 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Conti 5000 is the gatorskin of high end tires. IMHO
Use the pressure that feels best, for me on 5000s that is about 10psi below my Vittoria's and 15psi below my Veloflex.
I’m pretty happy with the ride on the latest 30 mm 5000S TR. I did a fast century event on them today on some pretty rough roads and they were great. Some guys were having a hard time. But I haven’t tried Veloflex or Vittoria for a very long time. My only recent comparison is with Pirelli P Zero Race TR and they felt similar to the Contis, but were more prone to cuts.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-04-23, 02:22 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
6 psi is really not much of a difference. Neither one is going to get you in trouble. I'd try the higher simply because letting a little air out mid-ride is so easy. Then ride it. Seem a little too hard? Bleed a touch off and try it. (Do have a means of re-inflating in case you let to much out. A another reason I am such a fan of full frame pumps like the Zephal HPX. Sadly the means to mount them easily on modern bikes has gone the way of the dinosaurs.)
No need to bleed off pressure, just ride for a few days and see at which point you like the ride best. Many people can hardly tell the difference in ride due to a 5-6 psi difference.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 06-04-23, 04:14 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
No need to bleed off pressure, just ride for a few days and see at which point you like the ride best. Many people can hardly tell the difference in ride due to a 5-6 psi difference.
I tend to agree, but it starts to become more significant with wider, low pressure tyres.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-04-23, 06:56 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’m pretty happy with the ride on the latest 30 mm 5000S TR. I did a fast century event on them today on some pretty rough roads and they were great. Some guys were having a hard time. But I haven’t tried Veloflex or Vittoria for a very long time. My only recent comparison is with Pirelli P Zero Race TR and they felt similar to the Contis, but were more prone to cuts.
Pirelli (box pictured) is much like 5000s (25mm) to me. The Spec Turbo Cotton is super nice. Yes, the wear life is short, not a real concern for me. The best couple of square inches (max) is what I seek for efficiency

Old 06-04-23, 09:55 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by rsbob
Actually you are almost quite correct I own 2 sets of S TRs - one had the flat, and my latest tubeless set is the AS TR with zero issues - knock on wood.
Ah! Just curious, can you tell the difference (whatever it is) between the S TRs and the AS TRs?

Old 06-04-23, 10:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by daihard
Ah! Just curious, can you tell the difference (whatever it is) between the S TRs and the AS TRs?
Not really. Feels identical.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-05-23, 03:17 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Pirelli (box pictured) is much like 5000s (25mm) to me. The Spec Turbo Cotton is super nice. Yes, the wear life is short, not a real concern for me. The best couple of square inches (max) is what I seek for efficiency

The only reason I tried the 5000S TR was because they came on my new Canyon Endurace last year. But I have been very impressed with their all-round ability. If I was going to try another tyre brand it would probably be Vittoria, but I haven't looked at their tubeless options lately.
Old 06-05-23, 04:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The difference between GP5000 S TR and AS is compound, an extra later of casing on the sidewall., and of course some watts more efficient

Cheap bicycle pressure gages can be inaccurate.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-05-23, 01:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The difference between GP5000 S TR and AS is compound, an extra later of casing on the sidewall., and of course some watts more efficient

key point here.... gauges can vary wildly in accuracy and consistency. I got a good gauge and found my pump gauge is a bit low so adjust for that

I just fixed all of that by getting a milwaukee 18v inflater and put a silca chuck on it. pop the chuck on, select the pressure, push the button. (and verified accuracy with good gauge)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-05-23, 01:47 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by GhostRider62

Originally Posted by squirtdad
key point here.... gauges can vary wildly in accuracy and consistency. I got a good gauge and found my pump gauge is a bit low so adjust for that

I just fixed all of that by getting a milwaukee 18v inflater and put a silca chuck on it. pop the chuck on, select the pressure, push the button. (and verified accuracy with good gauge)
That's good to know. Thank you for the helpfiul insight.

I just checked out the Milwaukee 18v Inflator. Unfortunately, it's out of my budget. I will make do with my Topeak SmartGauge.