Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are these tire cuts too big?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 12:31 PM
bikecommuter13

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This tire has been running fine. What do you folks think? Should I continue using it or should I replace it due to the cuts?

Old 06-05-23, 12:34 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
I would suggest that tire is a candidate for replacement.

not only cuts but based on general condition.

but what do I know ?

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 06-05-23, 12:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
That doesn't look like a tire I would ride on anymore. If it were an emergency and I had to run it I guess but I would just replace it
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-05-23, 12:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10416 Post(s)
Liked 11,876 Times in 6,083 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
That doesn't look like a tire I would ride on anymore. If it were an emergency and I had to run it I guess but I would just replace it
Concur.

On the plus side, it's an excellent candidate for indoor trainer use!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-05-23, 12:48 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
I can't afford any kind of tire failure so I would have to replace the tire.

If this had happened on the road and the tire was still holding air, I would simply use a flat fix patch on the outside of the tire to get home. I have found the problem with these type cuts is they keep expanding and the tire becomes deformed eventually loosing its bead or air.
Old 06-05-23, 12:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Does the tire in the picture have any air pressure in it?

Usually the tell for me is if the cut puckers out like grandma's lips wanting a smooch. Then I know too many of the cords/threads have been cut and it's unlikely to last very long. Not that it's really unsafe. Just that it might give out soon and leave you with no tire for the new tube in the bike bag.

But yeah, if my tire had cuts that big, then likely they threads were cut too. So it'd be puckering up when inflated and I'd be changing the tire. For roadside emergencies you can boot it by putting something between the tube and the cut. $1 bills work. $100 bills work better. Or cut out the side of a plastic bottle and lay that in there.

But if it's tubeless or tubed, and the picture is with it aired up to your normal riding pressure, then I probably would ride for my normal out and backs it till it gives out completely. Though if my next ride was a long ride or a real important ride, I'd probably change it.
Old 06-05-23, 01:28 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
It depends how bothered you are about the risk of it failing. If I get cuts like that then the tyre goes straight in the bin without a second thought. Tyres are the most important component on the whole bike.
Old 06-05-23, 02:13 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecommuter13
This tire has been running fine. What do you folks think? Should I continue using it or should I replace it due to the cuts?

LarrySellerz would probably trade you a bong hit for them.
Old 06-05-23, 02:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I've repaired quality (and expensive) tires with slits like that and larger (cutting the cord) with real sailcloth glued in with contractor grade contact cement (the stuff you bond countertops down with) and run the tires without incident until it was road tired and dead.

Note: real Dacron sailcloth from a sailmaker, not the stuff Joann's Fabrics sells.
Old 06-05-23, 05:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22586 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
The rubber/tread is not what gives the tire its integrity, it’s the carcass/cords. So if there is no signs of significant cord cuts, you are likely ok to keep riding this.

Your choice.
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-05-23, 06:04 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Why do we seem to get some really crappy out of focus pictures and a request to make heads or tails out of it.

can't tell how bad from pic. Ride them on easy rides I suppose.
Old 06-05-23, 06:30 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
As long as the cord are not compromised and you don't mind walking if they are, they won't assplode on you.

Old 06-05-23, 06:59 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
If no cords seem to be cut, I'd be tempted to pump it up and dab some Shoe Goo into the cracks to protect the innards. But I wouldn't run it on the front again.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-05-23, 08:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Note: real Dacron sailcloth from a sailmaker, not the stuff Joann's Fabrics sells.
Rip-proof spinnaker cloth, or something heavier?
Old 06-05-23, 08:35 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 261 Posts
That tire looks blitzed to me.
For a boot, the thin envelope material (Tyvex?) from fedex, usps, or ups works better than a dollar bill.
Cut it up into nice little strips and pack it into your patch kit.
Old 06-05-23, 08:55 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecommuter13
All of the cuts look like they have cut into the tire casing. The tire won’t necessarily blow out but it can develop instabilities that make it look like a snake belly and that can impact the ride and control. Minor cuts to the tread are okay but when they go deeper, the tire should be replaced.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-06-23, 08:08 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10162 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Rip-proof spinnaker cloth, or something heavier?
10 oz. storm sail. Orange.
Old 06-06-23, 08:25 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
The only thing between you and the road surface is your tire, that rubber patch touching the road is really small. So, tires and brakes are the most important safety components on the bike. I would replace those tires unless the financial cost is unbearable.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 06-06-23, 05:39 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The rubber/tread is not what gives the tire its integrity, it’s the carcass/cords. So if there is no signs of significant cord cuts, you are likely ok to keep riding this.

Your choice.
Yup. As long as the casing is not damaged, then the ride is safe. If there are bulges and distortions in the inflated tire, then at a minimum the tire needs to be booted in order to continue riding it.
Old 06-06-23, 06:18 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
There also looks to be a lot of wear on that tire, which alone would make it a candidate for replacement.

It has served you well for many miles and good times. Time to move on.
Old 06-08-23, 11:22 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
It looks perfectly fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
But, then, I'm not riding on it.
In general, I believe, where safety is involved, ' If you have to ask...'
Old 06-08-23, 10:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
Superglue the cuts back together and keep an eye on them. You may need to deflate the tire a bit to do this.

Old 06-08-23, 11:32 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 824 Posts
My experience has been that slick tires have a somewhat greater tendency to get cuts like the ones depicted - and since I like slick tires, I'm rather well-acquainted with the issue. As noted by others, the rubber isn't the critical structural part of the tire - it's the cords underneath and how they are connected to the beads (which do the really hard work). A risk of such cuts is that sharp debris such as glass can get lodged in them and eventually cut through the cord (and tube).

Suddenly-developing wobbles in the tire cross-section are typically where the cord layers have separated or delaminated from one another, often with some cords breaking. This is generally due to age or use - I've noticed some tires will last 5000+ miles, but others will get cord separations around 2500 miles. Note that in my experience this does not seem to be directly associated with cuts in the rubber.

This cord separation happened in April on one of my bikes. The tire was fine just a few minutes prior. I made it home OK, but replaced the tire before riding that bike again.

After replacing the tire, I inspected the inside casing where the separation occurred. Not a pretty sight:
Old 06-09-23, 08:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
My experience has been that slick tires have a somewhat greater tendency to get cuts like the ones depicted - and since I like slick tires, I'm rather well-acquainted with the issue. As noted by others, the rubber isn't the critical structural part of the tire - it's the cords underneath and how they are connected to the beads (which do the really hard work). A risk of such cuts is that sharp debris such as glass can get lodged in them and eventually cut through the cord (and tube).

Suddenly-developing wobbles in the tire cross-section are typically where the cord layers have separated or delaminated from one another, often with some cords breaking. This is generally due to age or use - I've noticed some tires will last 5000+ miles, but others will get cord separations around 2500 miles. Note that in my experience this does not seem to be directly associated with cuts in the rubber.

This cord separation happened in April on one of my bikes. The tire was fine just a few minutes prior. I made it home OK, but replaced the tire before riding that bike again.

After replacing the tire, I inspected the inside casing where the separation occurred. Not a pretty sight:
Delamination has less to do with mileage and more to do with the construction of the tire. Low thread count tires (aka “cheap” tires) are far more prone to this kind of failure than high thread count tires are. High thread count tires have less strain on the thinner threads used in the tire. It one of those threads breaks, the rest of the tire can deal with it. With a low thread count tire, a single thread carries a lot of strain and the rest of the threads can’t carry the extra strain of a broken thread as well Here’s an example that is even more gory than yours. This tire actually had several thread breaks on the same tire

Oddly, this tire didn’t blow out. The tire split and the threads started pushing out but the tube didn’t.

These examples are a bit more extreme than others I’ve seen. This if from my daughter’s bike in Tucson so the tread probably split due to the heat as well as the breaks in the casing threads. I have had this happen in cooler Colorado, although without the splitting of the tread.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-09-23, 09:03 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Since I'm cheap, I'd probably relegate that tire to trainer duty (assuming I still used a wheel on trainer). Doubt I'd take it out on the road anymore. More for the fact that I detest getting stuck than that I'd be worried about a blowout that led to a crash.