Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brake lever springs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Brake lever springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 11:03 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Brake lever springs

Can anyone tell me where I might find a few of these springs for the brake levers? If they have a specific name, my apologies in advance. Any tips on how to install them would also be appreciated.

thanks

Old 06-05-23, 11:06 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I doubt you will be able to find that spring as a piece part. and if you do, good luck installing them

Treat yourself to some new levers, or even new to you (used) off ebay. I may have some that will be a definite upgrade for you, PM me

/markp
Old 06-05-23, 12:15 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 661 Posts
wish you were near.

I just removed that lever from the franked-parts tandem I picked up. I was excited on first glance because I thought it was the last version Campy aero lever before brifters.

The spring sprung and hit me in the face. ("you'll shoot yer eye out" Christmas Story style, ringing in my ears).

So, I have the lever I won't be using and a spring outside of the lever.

Want both? just pay for postage.

Message me.

PS: Also, in theory (untested) you don't need the spring. The tension from the brakes themselves should keep the lever outward.
Old 06-05-23, 12:36 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Yeah, my "procedure" would be to install the replacement "spring" surrounded by a working lever.

The first generations of Dura-Ace aeros (BL-7401) did not have a return spring. According to Velobase, the BL-7402 are identical, except for the return spring. I've ridden with a DiaCompe aero with an inop return spring, and indeed, although the caliper itself worked fine, the "feel" at the lever was, as expected, not quite as crisp/snappy.
Old 06-05-23, 01:43 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
You're mostly all confirming what I expected to hear which is not worth the time and effort. I have one bike with similar aero shifters installed and that's the set with the lost spring (thankfully it didn't hit me in the eye!). The brake still works but there is a difference in the return release compared to the other side with the spring. Marginal though, considering the effort required to replace it.

I was going to update another bike with these aero shifters but maybe I'll just keep the existing brakes which work fine. Just not as cool looking. If I can't find a better pair close to me then I'll reach out to one of you and get you to ship me something nicer.

thanks everyone for the input.
Old 06-05-23, 01:52 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
The spring is a torsion spring and common. I'm sure something could be found fairly easily in a close size.
https://www.leespring.com/learn-about-torsion-springs