Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

GCN Races the Merckx

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

GCN Races the Merckx

Old 06-04-23, 08:09 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 300 Posts
GCN Races the Merckx

Another fun one from the folks at Global Cycling Network. Simon races their vintage Merckx in a field of modern bikes. Judging from the video, GCN appears to have had this frame built to original spec instead of using an actual 40+ yr old Merckx. I was somewhat surprised to see toe clips were the only major hindrance to competing in a modern field. Long live C&V!

Likes For plonz:
Old 06-04-23, 08:12 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Brake cable routing is all wrong too.
‘there was an episode on the building of the frame, no doubt believed the urban legend that steel frames wear out.

should have found a replica jersey without the World Championship stripes, he would have been domestique level. Not having earned the WC stripes.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-04-23, 10:51 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
I thought this was one of their better vintage bike videos.

It's a shame that Si didn't get the toe clips sorted out earlier, and didn't have a proper corn cob freewheel, but he did better than I expected.
Plus... both he and the bike looked great, so that's a bit of a victory all by itself.

Steve in Peoria
Old 06-04-23, 11:42 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Love GCN+. Racing coverage, with commentators who really know and love what they're talking about, and all these other cycling-oriented videos: tech, history, 'slow cycling' through beautiful areas. We probably watch more GCN than Netflix or any other content provider.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 06-04-23, 12:15 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
should have found a replica jersey without the World Championship stripes, he would have been domestique level. Not having earned the WC stripes.
I'd like to think the other entrants gave him a hard time. Oh looky, the World Champion slumming with us. Doncha ya think it might be embarrassing if you don't win this race against us midpack fodder?
Likes For iab:
Old 06-04-23, 05:24 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Going by what the rider said, he messed up the gearing choice, and the bike set-up was wrong for him, ie the short toe clips. I'd like to see a re-do race with the correct corn cob FW, and modern clipless pedals. My guess is he will fair much better.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 06-04-23, 07:20 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
I'd like to think the other entrants gave him a hard time. Oh looky, the World Champion slumming with us. Doncha ya think it might be embarrassing if you don't win this race against us midpack fodder?
I have eyed the Faema replica jerseys but never bought one as the WC stripes are just wrong unless you are Eddy. I have missed when plain red bands were offered.
Quite OK.
maybe in Europe it is different?
I never rode in pro team jerseys either way back, attitudes I guess were different.

blaming the clips and straps for Muscle pain?
” Not being able to pull up?”
If I had not heard him walking in cleats at the onset I would have assumed he was not using them. If he was able to clip in… cleats at least engaged, maybe not adjusted well.
possibly afraid to cinch up the straps?
one does have to reach down… might lose control?

I would have trouble with a Cambio Corsa style shifter, just no longer flexible enough. At some point stop blaming the bike.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-04-23, 09:45 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
You have to wonder how well an older steel bike would do, if he took the time to ride the bike long enough to dial it in and be comfertable with the down tube shifters and toe clips? They always seem to grab the steel bike and take off on it , no setting it up for them, no time to ride it and get to know it. Compairing it to the bike they ride all the time.I guess the advertisers would not be too happy if the cycling public realised the steel bike is about 95% os good as the latest carbon fiber wonder bike.
Likes For trainman999:
Old 06-04-23, 10:51 PM
Retoocs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
I don't think they know toe clips were made in different sizes. Or how to run double straps so it is more comfortable and secure.
Likes For Retoocs:
Old 06-04-23, 11:09 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I'm glad Si rode the bike, and I echo the suggestion--as I had thought similarly--for him to just chuck some SPD-SL pedals on it and make it more about the bike and not the bike setup so much. GCN is consistent in hastily getting a vintage bike going for one of their presenters in these "Retro vs. Modern" comparisons, something that continues to irk me. Are 15 minutes not enough to install pedals, make measurements, adjust saddle and bars, and putt around for a second to familiarize one's self with a bike?
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 06-05-23, 01:30 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I'm glad Si rode the bike, and I echo the suggestion--as I had thought similarly--for him to just chuck some SPD-SL pedals on it and make it more about the bike and not the bike setup so much. GCN is consistent in hastily getting a vintage bike going for one of their presenters in these "Retro vs. Modern" comparisons, something that continues to irk me. Are 15 minutes not enough to install pedals, make measurements, adjust saddle and bars, and putt around for a second to familiarize one's self with a bike?
Its almost like they are doing a parody on purpose, making sure the C+V gets disparaged when they surely should know better.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-05-23, 02:26 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I didn't understand his whining about calf pain. If the toe clips are too short, change them.
Yup,! He needed larger sized toe clips. The toe clip straps should have handled any pedal pull up efforts because they are the laminated types (I paused the video when he was making a comment about the toe clips and I could see the three layers of the straps.) so stretch shouldn't be a problem unless he did not tighten the straps enough when he got on them.
Bottom line is, if you size your toeclips properly and adequately tighten your straps, you should not have any problems with your cleated shoes pulling off the pedals in most conditions,.......unless the GCN guy did not jave cleats on his bike shoes??

Last edited by Chombi1; 06-06-23 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-05-23, 02:56 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Its almost like they are doing a parody on purpose, making sure the C+V gets disparaged when they surely should know better.
One of these days they're going to really wise up and test a bike from 1986 with indexed shifting, like, oh, 7400 Dura-Ace or something, and then it will be even closer. Being in England, with decades of bike (racing) history to draw from and so many famous riders from all around the Continent, it makes sense that they're "retro bikes" are all Euro-centric. Anyone on anything that won a race or stage of any significance did it on English, Italian or French tubing, and very often with Italian componentry. No American frame manufactures nor Japanese component makers need apply. Even with GCN's modern bike choices, none are American--not that they need to be--even if they've seen the proverbial (practical) light and run Shimano gear.

Thinking about it, indexed downtube shifting was allowed only five scant years--FIVE!--before STI/Ergo/brifters were introduced. I have to catch myself evangelizing that tech's historical significance when it, while important, was a very quick stepping stone to the massive paradigm shift that was integrated brake/shift technology.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 06-05-23, 05:12 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
It isn't the arrow, it's the Indian.
Old 06-05-23, 05:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Retoocs
I don't think they know toe clips were made in different sizes. Or how to run double straps so it is more comfortable and secure.
If his foot position was wrong because of the short toeclips, I suspect he wasn't using slotted cleats, either, which would make a big difference.
Old 06-05-23, 07:10 AM
repechage

they might know better, but that does not support the position that one needs the latest and greatest to keep up with the group.
note how he was lamenting about all the added watts he was going to need to expend because of the lack of modern design.
neglecting that while in the middle of the field the Aero advantage is likewise reduced.
‘Of course on a bike with huge cable loops above the brake levers. Did not look at old Eddy images showing the cable arcs quite reduced.

what term the British use? Wanker?
Old 06-05-23, 07:19 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 280 Posts
I do like the takeaway: Turn up on whatever you've got. It does help when that includes ten years of pro race experience.
-John
Old 06-05-23, 07:38 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
Wow....

I thought this was one of their more positive video's on classic equipment. Aside from the gearing and toe clips issues, of course.
Old 06-05-23, 09:24 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Si has the physical ability. I give him that! His mental ability is suspect. Si could take all the negative things he learned from this race and fix them for round two and three. I imagine that is what most logical people would do.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 06-05-23, 12:30 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Have you ever seen the videos where they hand kids something like a rotary dial phone and have them try to figure out how to use it?

I'd guess it's like that- they sorta know what a piece is, knows what it's supposed to do- but not really how to make it work.

Just like when you take your old bike to a modern bike shop.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 06-05-23, 02:12 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick...

You gents have made a mountain out of a mole hill..
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-05-23, 03:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick...

You gents have made a mountain out of a mole hill..
Are you new here?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-05-23, 03:48 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
One of these days they're going to really wise up and test a bike from 1986 with indexed shifting
I'd say there's really no point in it, but that's kind of true of all their videos. It would be fun though. Like in this one he was complaining about the toe clips, the gearing, and aerodynamics. Cool, come back the next week with clipless pedals, aerodynamic wheels, and a proper gear selection (maybe an 8-speed cassette!). Compare and contrast. Then maybe add indexed shifting for the week after that.

A quick Google search tells me that aero wheels are good for 10 watts at 35 kph. Surely, a former professional racer at a local amateur race has 10 watts to spare. His position on the bike looked similar to the other racers.

When I saw that he was actually racing, my first thought was that I'd have been terrified about the brakes. I understand that someone who's comfortable with single pivot brakes and non-aero levers can stop a bike just as quick as someone using modern disc brakes (after all, the tire and pavement are the limiting factors), but for someone who is used to modern disc brakes to hop on a bike with vintage single pivots, it's a whole different experience. Si has definitely spent a lot of time riding this bike -- like I think this is the fourth GCN video I've seen with it, and I've got to assume he's done some riding between each of these at least to prepare for them -- so maybe he's developed a feel for the brakes. Since he didn't even mention it, he must have done. The only thing that would have kept me from slamming into the rider in front of me the first time he tapped his brakes is the fact that I would have gotten dropped before the first corner.
Old 06-06-23, 06:23 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
i might start watching GCN/classic bike content when they have wrapped their head around the idea that bikes before 2020 actually can be ridden and are not only some kind of curiosity and source of endless amusement (down tube shifter hahahaha toestraps hahahaha!). Which is probably never.
Likes For martl:
Old 06-06-23, 06:49 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
The toe clips pedal setup was just unacceptable.
Either get the correct sized clips and shoes/cleats for the rider or use clipless pedals.
I was amazed this rider could stay with the group with all that hurting and wrong foot placement on the pedals.
Would be really cool to see EM from his racing days on this bike setup correctly dropping all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.