Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The best commuter bike for the tiniest commuter person

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-18-17, 11:26 PM
thetiniestbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

After years of riding 60-year-old department store children's step-throughs, I'm finally looking to build my first new, adult commuter.

One problem: I'm 4'11", with a 27" inseam. After a whole lot of research regarding what I want and need (ED-coated double-butted CroMo, 700c for accessibility, wide tire clearance for winter tires with fenders, single speed/fixed gear capabilities, the ability to survive cobblestones, city traffic, and salted roads, a $700 to $1000 price range, and something that looks boring enough to be ignored by Montreal bike thieves while still making my own heart pitter-patter), I test rode a 42cm Surly Cross Check at my LBS. I found the ride comfortable and much faster than what I'm used to, and am seriously considering buying one, but I'm worried about the fact that I can't stand flat-footed over the top tube.

In your experience, how important is standover height for a city commute? Particularly in wintry conditions? Should I consider the Straggler 650b in 38cm, and just suck it up when it comes to tire variety? Are there other frames on the market now that I should be considering, that meet the needs stated above? Thanks!
Old 04-19-17, 12:18 AM
Barabaika

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why wouldn't you consider a mixte frame?

Maybe, you can find an old one. But most old Japanese mixtes had sizes around 49-51cm.

This one is available in the 44cm size. Though, the tubes are not double-butted.
Creme CafeRacer Uno Ladies 3 Speed Bike 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 04-19-17, 12:30 AM
MWB88

Bikes: Scott Venture 10, Giant OCR 3 C2 Composite, Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems to me that an appropriate standover height is extremely important on a commuter bike - imagine standing tip-toe at all of those stoplights...
Old 04-19-17, 12:47 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I just sort of half sit on the top tube of the bike with my right foot still clipped in while waiting at a light. OP - don't give up the frame that you like/want because you can't stand flat footed at a light. I would learn to track stand before giving up a frame/bike that I fell in love with so I could rest at a light.
Old 04-19-17, 02:04 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I'd go for a 26" wheeled bike in a heartbeat with that shopping list. For summer tires, IMO you can't beat Hutchinson Top Slick, and it's available as 26X1", there's Conti Sport Contact, Geax Street Runner, and probably some others.

Winter tires, also a good selection. Suomityres, Schwalbe, Kenda all do 26" studded in various stud counts.

You'll have no problem with standover or fender clearance.

Then again, I'm notoriously unfaithful WRT bike specifics.
I ride aluminium and steel, and CF when I can get it, all with the same happy unconcern of what's there.
A good ride is a good ride, regardless of molecules and wheel size.
Fit, function and cost are my priorities.

Did my first years of commuting on an aluminum frame, with plenty of salted roads (I do 6000+ miles/year, so maybe 2000/year on salted roads), and nothing bad ever came out of that as far as frame/fork was concerned.)

The post in general looks like you're more concerned with the recipe than the meal, which probably makes your search more difficult than it'd need to be.
Likes For dabac:
Old 04-19-17, 02:25 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I just sort of half sit on the top tube of the bike with my right foot still clipped in while waiting at a light. OP - don't give up the frame that you like/want because you can't stand flat footed at a light. I would learn to track stand before giving up a frame/bike that I fell in love with so I could rest at a light.
I ride a variety of bikes. I think my old Colnago is about a 60cm frame (for 5'10), and fits a little tight. But it has never been a problem. As TenSpeedV2 suggests, one can sit one cheek on the top tube while waiting for a light.

However, also look for something that "fits" right before settling on the wrong bike.

I have a couple of friends < 5'. They fit best on 24" wheel MTBs. But that might limit you to kids bike frames. They can also fit on 26" wheel MTBs, but they do seem a tad on the large side.

One option might be to find a decent used MTB, then strip it (paint if necessary), then add nicer components to build the bike to your own specs. Even get custom lightweight wheels made if you wish.

There are also quite a few 650c based road bikes. Kid's bikes like the Fuji Ace 650, but also some nicer bikes. I'm not sure about tire sizes and fender clearances. Maybe build a road bike for the summer and a MTB based bike for winter commuting.

Trek has made some WSD 650c bikes in the past, although they may be mostly 700c bikes now.

Terry also has some "unique" bikes that would be worth looking at. Terry also used to make a 700c rear, 650c front bike, and I think the design was copied by at least one other manufacturer. Maybe not new, but those bikes still show up used.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-19-17, 05:53 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm very short legged (6' tall with a 32" inseam). I ride a large frame on most bikes including my commuter, the Giant Escape, and the standover height is so that I am on my tiptoes when I stop. It's not a big deal once you get used to it.
Old 04-19-17, 06:56 AM
thetiniestbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I'd go for a 26" wheeled bike in a heartbeat with that shopping list. For summer tires, IMO you can't beat Hutchinson Top Slick, and it's available as 26X1", there's Conti Sport Contact, Geax Street Runner, and probably some others.

Winter tires, also a good selection. Suomityres, Schwalbe, Kenda all do 26" studded in various stud counts.

You'll have no problem with standover or fender clearance.

Then again, I'm notoriously unfaithful WRT bike specifics.
I ride aluminium and steel, and CF when I can get it, all with the same happy unconcern of what's there.
A good ride is a good ride, regardless of molecules and wheel size.
Fit, function and cost are my priorities.

Did my first years of commuting on an aluminum frame, with plenty of salted roads (I do 6000+ miles/year, so maybe 2000/year on salted roads), and nothing bad ever came out of that as far as frame/fork was concerned.)

The post in general looks like you're more concerned with the recipe than the meal, which probably makes your search more difficult than it'd need to be.
Thanks for the recommendation on wheels--26" isn't something I'd really considered, as it seems to be mostly the domain of mountain bikes, although I did briefly consider building up a vintage mtb for this. Are there any new frames you'd recommend looking into?

I agree that a good bike is a good bike, specs be darned. My bias toward steel is that my favorite rides have been on steel bikes--so far. I'm sure there's an aluminum bike out there that I would want to ride every day, day in and day out, but I haven't found it yet.
Old 04-19-17, 07:08 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by thetiniestbike
... Should I consider the Straggler 650b ...
No. 650b is a slightly smaller than normal rim that takes a larger than normal tire, and does not effectively reduce the wheel size, or certainly not much. You might consider 650c, which is an even smaller rim that takes narrow tires, for an effectively smaller wheel, but 650c bikes tend to be racy, so not really a good option.

The problem with big wheels (650a, 650b, 700c, 27", etc), for a small person, is that you cannot get the handlebar low enough for an efficient riding position.

26" --the mountain bike size, not the English 3-speed size (26 x 1 3/8", also known as 650a; there are actually five different rim sizes that are all called "twenty six inch") is a good wheel size for a relatively small person, but I don't know what frame I'd recommend with that. Possibly an older mountain bike with no suspension, but they tend to be built long, with a high bottom bracket, so they tend to fit like a larger frame.

I have seen older bikes made for 24" wheels that actually fit 26" wheels quite nicely; but putting one of those together might be quite a project.

Last edited by rhm; 04-19-17 at 07:13 AM.
Likes For rhm:
Old 04-19-17, 07:19 AM
Hub Spanner

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2014 Raleigh Sojourn, et al

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
+1

Top tube clearance is over rated. I tilt my bike slightly at stoplights and have been doing so for years. No biggie.

The mixte suggestion is also a very good one. You may want an LBS mechanic to really dial it in for you, maybe with a few modern conveniences...if you like modern conveniences.

You can get a brand new mixte from Rivendell but it might be more than you want to pay and it may be attractive to thieves...but it would be a delightful bike.
Old 04-19-17, 07:30 AM
thetiniestbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
26" --the mountain bike size, not the English 3-speed size (26 x 1 3/8", also known as 650a; there are actually five different rim sizes that are all called "twenty six inch") is a good wheel size for a relatively small person, but I don't know what frame I'd recommend with that. Possibly an older mountain bike with no suspension, but they tend to be built long, with a high bottom bracket, so they tend to fit like a larger frame.

I have seen older bikes made for 24" wheels that actually fit 26" wheels quite nicely; but putting one of those together might be quite a project.
Could you tell me more about those five 26" sizes? I really just don't hear a lot about them, so anything you'd like to share would be appreciated.

And the longness was a big part of why I nixed building off of an '80s-90s mountain bike frame--I might get the standover height, but reach never looks comfortable for the riding I'd like to do. And I like projects plenty, but finding a dependable 24" vintage frame I like and then building it up with 26" wheels sounds like it might border on an ordeal.
Old 04-19-17, 07:50 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
There are better-than-department-store kid bikes, too. And you could start with one of those and make it a lot nicer although projects like that are not usually cost effective compared to a complete bike.
https://www.islabikes.com/size-guide/ just for an example

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-19-17 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-19-17, 07:57 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Could you tell me more about those five 26" sizes? I really just don't hear a lot about them, so anything you'd like to share would be appreciated.
The standard reference is this:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

The sizes I had in mind are as follows:
559 mm, 26 x 1.75 [or almost any number expressed as a decimal] = the mountain bike or cruiser size.
571 mm, 26 x 1, more commonly called 650c.
584 mm, 26 x 1 1/2, more commonly called 650b and now also called 27 1/2 just to make things interesting .
590 mm, 26 x 1 3/8, sometimes called 650a, this is the old English three speed size, also known as EA3.
597 mm, 26 x 1 3/8 if it's a Schwinn, or 26 x 1/4 if it's an old English racing bike, also known as EA1

All of the above tire sizes are still made, and rims of all but the last one are still made. There are also obsolete 26" sizes, but let's not get too far into the weeds!

And the longness was a big part of why I nixed building off of an '80s-90s mountain bike frame--I might get the standover height, but reach never looks comfortable for the riding I'd like to do. And I like projects plenty, but finding a dependable 24" vintage frame I like and then building it up with 26" wheels sounds like it might border on an ordeal.

Sadly, I agree.

Something I would definitely recommend is: a folding bike. I suggest this because:
1. with their small wheels (usually 20") they are adaptable to any size rider.
2. they are made for serious commuters, and accordingly are available at a wide range of price points; you are not stuck with a cheap kid's bike if that's not what you want.
3. the market for folding bikes is now large enough that a surprising array of accessories and replacement parts are available, including high quality tires. Just sticking with the common 20" size (406 mm; there is also a larger 20" size which I would avoid), you can get tires as narrow as 1" or as wide as 2" or even bigger; you can even get studded winter tires in this size.
4. oh, yeah, and they fold up. You can take them on a commuter train at rush hour. Until you've done this, you haven't experienced true freedom!
Old 04-19-17, 08:17 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You also might want to contact Georgena Terry and see what she recommends for you.
Hand-built Steel Bicycles for Women by Georgena TerryGeorgena Terry
She does handbuilt now (via Waterford). Some of her bikes have 26" wheels and others have a 24" front and 700c rear. Her bikes were once in mass production in the late 80's, and you can find them for sale on eBay or Craigslist. They're good quality. There were Taiwan-made bikes in similar style soon thereafter which is what put her out of the bike business for a while. There was another go at mass production just a few years ago (2012). (image from Craigslist ads), the black one is the smallest original size and you can see the standover is about level with the rear the tire. The bikes also have smaller handlebars and shorter cranks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00w0w_53eUn0nuja5_600x450.jpg (31.5 KB, 361 views)
00O0O_8R5zWwZVCqI_600x450.jpg (28.2 KB, 357 views)
41bv-dKd-FL.jpg (28.8 KB, 359 views)
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-19-17 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-19-17, 08:17 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'll echo what @dabac said about about an MTB with 26-inch wheels. You could shop for a kids hardtail MTB. Then change the tires to thinner slicks and lock out the shock fork (if possible). Only drawback is that you will probably have a hard time finding one with a regular fork.
Old 04-19-17, 09:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
I will also echo the recommendation for a 26" mtb. Regardless of size, the #1 recommendation around here for 'what bike should I start commuting on' is to shop your local craigslist for a 90's era rigid-fork mountain bike, and put slick tires on it. This will get you steel, so that's good, it will probably have mounts for a rack.

Don't fret yourself about the 5-different varieties of 26"; 99.9% of them out there are good ole 26" mountain bikes.
Old 04-19-17, 09:56 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Have you considered a folding bike? Bike Friday makes a super lightweight one for tinier people, custom fit to your body specs. 20" tires are great in the city, more nimble and faster starting than full size tires. And you can take it inside instead of locking it up all day, if your office allows. Brompton is also very popular with commuters. You can find them used on craigslist if you are patient. Or maybe get a mini velo if you really love a traditionally shaped frame (info on these in the folder thread).
Old 04-19-17, 11:17 AM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I recommend a kids' rigid mtb or junior road bike. They work well for smaller riders.

Most people outgrow them but someone your height would feel right at home on them.
Old 04-19-17, 11:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Biria makes some non-folding adult bikes with 20" wheels. They're very nice. 20" wheels are worth some serious consideration.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-19-17, 12:21 PM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just bought a Surly LHT with 26" wheels for my latest commuter. It is available in 42–62cm frame sizes with 26" wheels. Mine came with 26 X 1.75 Continental Tour Ride tires. I think that translates to about 44mm wide. It is a very comfortable bike to ride. I had a dyno hub front wheel built for it and added VO aluminum fenders and a Tubus rack in the back and replaced the bars with a Nitto Noodle. It was about double your price range after all the modifications though.
Old 04-19-17, 12:32 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on wheels--26" isn't something I'd really considered, as it seems to be mostly the domain of mountain bikes, although I did briefly consider building up a vintage mtb for this. Are there any new frames you'd recommend looking into?

I agree that a good bike is a good bike, specs be darned. My bias toward steel is that my favorite rides have been on steel bikes--so far. I'm sure there's an aluminum bike out there that I would want to ride every day, day in and day out, but I haven't found it yet.
26 inch is an excellent choice for a smaller bike. The surly LHT comes in 26 inch wheels in smaller sizes; so does the soma disc saga. Also there are really great vintage mountain bikes that can be built up into a dandy commuter.
Old 04-19-17, 05:39 PM
thetiniestbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hub Spanner
+1

You can get a brand new mixte from Rivendell but it might be more than you want to pay and it may be attractive to thieves...but it would be a delightful bike.
Oh, that I could get a new Rivendell! They and Soma have some of the only new mixtes I've seen that appeal to me and would be a real upgrade from my current rides.
Old 04-19-17, 05:59 PM
thetiniestbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also: thanks to everyone who's mentioned Georgena Terry. I hadn't heard of her before, and I'm finding her bikes beautiful and fascinating. I don't see me getting one right away, just due to availability (eBay would be my only option right now), but they're definitely a consideration if that changes.
Old 04-19-17, 06:48 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Georgena Terry's design philosophy:
Old 04-20-17, 07:46 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Hey all,

After years of riding 60-year-old department store children's step-throughs, I'm finally looking to build my first new, adult commuter.

One problem: I'm 4'11", with a 27" inseam. After a whole lot of research regarding what I want and need (ED-coated double-butted CroMo, 700c for accessibility, wide tire clearance for winter tires with fenders, single speed/fixed gear capabilities, the ability to survive cobblestones, city traffic, and salted roads, a $700 to $1000 price range, and something that looks boring enough to be ignored by Montreal bike thieves while still making my own heart pitter-patter), I test rode a 42cm Surly Cross Check at my LBS. I found the ride comfortable and much faster than what I'm used to, and am seriously considering buying one, but I'm worried about the fact that I can't stand flat-footed over the top tube.

In your experience, how important is standover height for a city commute? Particularly in wintry conditions? Should I consider the Straggler 650b in 38cm, and just suck it up when it comes to tire variety? Are there other frames on the market now that I should be considering, that meet the needs stated above? Thanks!
Many others have made some awesome suggestions. I'm building up an 80's Raleigh mixte frame hoping to be able to accommodate my MIL that is your height. The step over height is no issue, but I'm planning on fitting it with Soma Mustache bars to help shorten the reach. So, that is also an option if you were to find and fit up an older 26" mtb. Soma, and others make mustache bars that will accept the bikes standard flatbar brakes and shifters, but bring the effective reach back to something much more reasonable. You might not end up having to do a whole lot else other than upgrading tires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.