Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tools for a Super LeTour?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-29-23, 01:35 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

Hi, folks.

I just bought a 1977 Super LeTour 12.2 that gets here Monday.

My other bikes are much more modern (threadless headsets, hydros, etc.). Any tools / parts I should pick up while I'm waiting for it to arrive? Thinking mostly of any BB/freewheel tools, anything I'd need to remove the old headset and clean/lube it, etc.

Also, if you have suggestions for good 5-speed freewheels and chains, I'm all ears! Thanks!
Old 03-29-23, 01:46 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
https://bikehistory.org/bikes/letour/
This is a more "modern Schwinn"... they used world sourced parts and moved away from the proprietary items of past Schwinn "glory"

Last edited by maddog34; 03-29-23 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-29-23, 02:53 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
You might mention what tools you have so we don't have to start with a "set of ........
I wouldn't order specific tools such as BB & FW remover until I verified the one I needed by seeing the part in question.
Parts get changed, so one can't assume they are original and would therefore require a specific FW remover or BB wrench(es)
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-29-23, 04:26 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
For the headset you’ll probably need a 12” adjustable (Crescent) wrench and appropriately sized headset wrench. The Park HCW-7 should fit, but measure for sure. If you’re going to service the BB you’ll need a crank puller and probably a lock ring tool. The Hozan C-205 isn’t bad. I’d also pick up their excellent fourth hand, C-356. Some good open and box end wrenches. A good pedal wrench. I like the Cyclo one from England. You probably have the necessary screwdrivers. That’s a start, I suppose.
Old 03-29-23, 04:48 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks. It's all-original (and all chrome!) except for some bar-end shifters, saddle, and tape. Pedals, crankset, freewheel, cables are all 1977-vintage. Shimano 60 up front, first-gen 600 on the back.

I have pedal wrenches, BB tools for Shimano road (BSA) and Hope mountain, various open wrenches. I assumed I might need some specialized tool for the freewheel, but I guess I'll know soon enough.
Old 03-29-23, 04:56 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by cormacf
I assumed I might need some specialized tool for the freewheel, but I guess I'll know soon enough.
You will. And a bench vise will help with freewheel removal.
Old 03-29-23, 05:23 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Thanks. It's all-original (and all chrome!) except for some bar-end shifters, saddle, and tape. Pedals, crankset, freewheel, cables are all 1977-vintage. Shimano 60 up front, first-gen 600 on the back.

I have pedal wrenches, BB tools for Shimano road (BSA) and Hope mountain, various open wrenches. I assumed I might need some specialized tool for the freewheel, but I guess I'll know soon enough.
The "All Chrome" is a Big bonus, Much more desirable and was a rare $50 upgrade back then! Cool!
Old 03-29-23, 06:16 PM
smd4

I have pedal wrenches, BB tools for Shimano road (BSA) and Hope mountain, various open wrenches.
If you’re going to service the BB you’ll also need a crank puller. Park makes a couple versions for under $20.
Old 03-29-23, 10:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
A bench vise will help with freewheel removal.
Or tighten the jaws of your big steel adjustable wrench to the tool and hit the end of the handle with a sledgehammer a couple times.
Old 03-30-23, 04:56 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Or tighten the jaws of your big steel adjustable wrench to the tool and hit the end of the handle with a sledgehammer a couple times.
More than one way to skin a cat!
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-30-23, 07:12 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
After clamping the remover in place with the qr skewer or axle nut.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-30-23, 10:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,578 Posts
I don't know what tools you will need because I haven't seen the bike and it doesn't sound like anyone yet knows what those changed parts were changed too. What I will say in every single situation unless purely using it for a 1 time use and never needing it again always always always get the best tools you can buy. Good high quality tools will last a long time but more importantly not damage any parts (if used correctly) and be more pleasurable to use so you will use them more often. The tools you use the most like the basic stuff (hex wrenches, screwdrivers and the like) those you really want to splurge on and as you use them less you can start to spend less and if it is really a 1 time use thing, just take it down to your local shop and let them take care of it save the money and the time and get more riding in.

Once you use a really nice set of hex wrenches or something like that you will understand. My father who knows little about bicycles or bicycle maintenance but understands tools from hobbyist wood working held my Abbey Decade Chain Tool in his hand and without knowing anything about it said "wow this is a nice tool, what does it do". There is a certain satisfaction with having nicer tools and using them. If you enjoy bicycles and working on them the multitudes of dollars you can spend on tools is well worth it. I have seldom regretted a nice tool purchase but always regretted a cheap tool.