Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Alternative to RH Barlow Pass EL

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-23, 03:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

I've been running Compass/Rene Herse Extralight tires (35mm Bon Jon Pass, 38mm Barlow Pass) for the past 8 years. I LOVE the ride, but they don't hold sealent well after I've ridden them for a while. I find the durability otherwise to be fine.

I would like to know from people who have actually ridden RH tires with Extralight casings what other tires are comparable or close in ride feel but are better tubeless.

Ideally, I'd like something in the 38-40mm range. Looking for slick or near-slick like the file tread on the tires mentioned above.

Thanks
Old 05-19-23, 04:19 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I've ridden extra legere in 35-42 mm. Not a real fan.

There are good alternatives in the 32-34mm range but nothing else that I am aware in the 38mm range with such a fragile, leaky casing. Vittoria, Schwalbe, and Conti make tires in the 32-34mm range that are superior in my view and on 25mm hookless rims will puff up to at least 35mm
Old 05-20-23, 08:10 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I started to develop what I assume is your sealant problem with Barlows, but after I switched to Endurance Orange Seal, that problem hasn't returned. If you are seeing cross-hatching on the sidewalls, especially internally, it means you are under-inflating the tire and that might make the sidewalls more porous. I've found I have to keep the rear tire inflated to 45 to 50 psi to prevent that from happening (I'm 185lb and fully loaded the bike is pushing 30 lbs).

Panaracer makes the RH tires, so another Panaracer option is probably a good bet. I'll be interested to hear what you decide.

Jan is clearly not a raving fan of tubeless, and I think doesn't recommend it at all for (their own) tires under 35mm.
Old 05-20-23, 01:57 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I started to develop what I assume is your sealant problem with Barlows, but after I switched to Endurance Orange Seal, that problem hasn't returned. If you are seeing cross-hatching on the sidewalls, especially internally, it means you are under-inflating the tire and that might make the sidewalls more porous. I've found I have to keep the rear tire inflated to 45 to 50 psi to prevent that from happening (I'm 185lb and fully loaded the bike is pushing 30 lbs).

Panaracer makes the RH tires, so another Panaracer option is probably a good bet. I'll be interested to hear what you decide.

Jan is clearly not a raving fan of tubeless, and I think doesn't recommend it at all for (their own) tires under 35mm.
Yeah, maybe increasing pressure would help with the sealant weeping, but if I have to do that it sort of defeats the purpose of these tires (and tubeless) for me. I’d just assume stick with tubes and keep my lower pressures.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-20-23 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-20-23, 04:15 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I can't answer your question, but I've got RH Snoqualmie Pass 44mm tires on one set of my gravel bike wheels. I have the same issue - they never hold their sealant and lose air faster than any other tire I've owned. I'd love some good alternatives (these have almost no tread -- good for the road or fire roads). I have another set of wheels with proper treaded gravel tires for more technical rides. I think I'm done with Rene Herse.
Old 05-20-23, 05:03 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yeah, maybe increasing pressure would help with the sealant weeping, but if I have to do that it sort of defeats the purpose of these tires (and tubeless) for me. I’d just assume stick with tubes and keep my lower pressures.
We now have convergence with your thread on the same topic on mountain bike forums.

Just put tubes in and be done with it.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-20-23, 05:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
We now have convergence with your thread on the same topic on mountain bike forums.

Just put tubes in and be done with it.
I’m not there yet.