Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bianch Pista Front Axle Nut Size/Mercier Kilo TT Stripper Rear axle nut size?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 02-20-21, 07:54 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

I put a new front Tire on my Bianchi Pista today. My guess is its a 2010. It was in storage for nine years and looked brand new when I got it.
When I remounted the front Tire, I noticed that one of the Front Wheel nuts was stripped.
I am rebuilding a Mercier Kilo TT Stripper and the Rear tire was sitting on my workbench.
I grabbed the Kilo TT Rear axle nut and it actually fit my Bianchi Pista Front axle.
Now I need to order a pair.
My questions is :are the Bianchi Pista Front Axle nut and Mercier KIlo TT Rear axle nut both 10mm x 1.0 thread?.
Because I read that the Pista front axle nut might be a Campagnola 10 mm 26TPI .
However you can calculate that a fastener with a TPI of 26 has a pitch in inches of 0.0384615 by dividing 1 by 26. Then, you can convert this to millimeters by multiplying it by 25.4 millimeters and end up with millimeter pitch as 0..9769 which is pretty close.
So Campagnola 26 TPI is pretty close to 10 mm x1.00 thread?
I am just asking, I don't know

Last edited by 5 mph; 02-20-21 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-21-21, 06:47 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Just so you know - I'm making this informative post here to keep myself from saying something snarky in another

You know what they say about making generalizations, but the general answer is M9 nuts in front and M10 in back. I don't know anything about your particular wheels, so remember that there are innumerable variations on this theme...

Good luck - ride safe

Last edited by IAmSam; 02-21-21 at 08:33 AM. Reason: dammit...
Old 02-21-21, 04:56 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Not a chance in Hell that a front wheel axle will have a 10mm diameter thread. What happens is that a 10mm nut will be a loose fit on a 9mm axle and appear to fit, but as soon as you apply any significant torque, you will damage the threads. Also, if the thread pitch is slightly dissimilar such as 1mm vs 26 TPI, then you will be able to thread the nut on initially for a few turns before it begins to bind, after which if you continue to tighten it you will again damage the threads. As to your Bianchi Pista, the hubs are not Italian, so the front axle is most likely 9mm x 1mm, and your Kilo TT rear axle is 10mm x 1mm.

Ref. Southerland's Handbook for Bicycle Mechanics, Third Edition, pages 11-2a and 11-3a.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 02-21-21 at 08:36 PM.
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 02-21-21, 07:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
When I remounted the front Tire, I noticed that one of the Front Wheel nuts was stripped.
I am rebuilding a Mercier Kilo TT Stripper and the Rear tire was sitting on my workbench.
I grabbed the Kilo TT Rear axle nut and it actually fit my Bianchi Pista Front axle.
Now I need to order a pair.
My questions is :are the Bianchi Pista Front Axle nut and Mercier KIlo TT Rear axle nut both 10mm x 1.0 thread?.
10mm front axles are not common, but they do exist. E.g. the original Shimano XT off-road hubs used solid axles, the front was 10mm with flats milled to fit a 9mm fork end slot. Who is the actual manufacturer of the hubs in question?

I read that the Pista front axle nut might be a Campagnola 10 mm 26TPI. […] So Campagnola 26 TPI is pretty close to 10 mm x1.00 thread?
26tpi pitch is close to 1mm pitch, but not close enough to work. A thin locknut, with only a couple threads engaged might work, but a cone with many threads engaged would jam long before you could thread it down far enough to work. The 26tpi thread pitch was only used by Campagnolo and a couple other Italian makes (Gipiemme, Ofmega, Miche), so unless you hubs were made by one of those companies, they're unlikely to be 26tpi pitch.

You can, in many cases, replace the entire axle set (axle, cones, locknuts) to get a working repair. Wheels Manufacturing offers a variety of axle sets that may be suitable replacements.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-21-21, 08:43 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
10mm front axles are not common, but they do exist. E.g. the original Shimano XT off-road hubs used solid axles, the front was 10mm with flats milled to fit a 9mm fork end slot. Who is the actual manufacturer of the hubs in question?

26tpi pitch is close to 1mm pitch, but not close enough to work. A thin locknut, with only a couple threads engaged might work, but a cone with many threads engaged would jam long before you could thread it down far enough to work. The 26tpi thread pitch was only used by Campagnolo and a couple other Italian makes (Gipiemme, Ofmega, Miche), so unless you hubs were made by one of those companies, they're unlikely to be 26tpi pitch.

You can, in many cases, replace the entire axle set (axle, cones, locknuts) to get a working repair. Wheels Manufacturing offers a variety of axle sets that may be suitable replacements.
The OP's bike is a cheap Italian Bianchi Pista track bike with cheap non-Italian (Alex Solo) hubs, so the front hub most likely has a 9mm X 1mm solid axle, unlikely to be 9mm X 26 TPI, and certainly not going to be 10mm. Anyway, all the OP needs is to find the correct set of front axle nuts, or at least one axle nut to replace the one that has stripped threads.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-21-21, 11:28 PM
5 mph

I checked the Bianchi front axle nut carefully at the hardware store. Its 10 mm. The previous owner must have changed the hub. The Mercier has 9 mm front and 10 mm rear. My next question is , who is good supplier of replacement 9mm and 10 mm nuts? Not many SS riders here, it's too hilly. The LBS was stunned.
Old 02-22-21, 10:24 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by 5 mph
My next question is , who is good supplier of replacement 9mm and 10 mm nuts?
https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...rack-axle-nuts

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-22-21, 04:27 PM
5 mph

Thanks , appreciate it.
Old 05-03-23, 09:19 AM
chrisromer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Original owner of a Bianchi Pista here. All chrome, around 2005 (uncertain of model year), and no logos on the front hub. Stumbled across this thread and thought I'd chime in with my findings. My axles are 3/8" x 26tpi (as measured and replaced) 2-piece rotating flange axle nuts. As others have mentioned, 10mm x 1 is really close, but you can check with a gauge if the threads are 26tpi or 1mm. Thread gauges are like $10. I have M9 & M10 x1mm nuts and 3/8" x 26tpi for comparison as well.

Last edited by chrisromer; 05-09-23 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-04-23, 11:34 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Another original owner of a Bianchi Pista - but mine was a 1999-built as a 2000 model year, back when they were matte black with Celeste decals. Original version came with Suzue Pro Max hubs, which used 10mm axles front and rear, with the front axle slotted to fit a 9 mm aperture. Not sure how long they came stock with those hubs, though.