Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

how often do you crash?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: how often have you experienced an injury/damage crash?
more than once per 1,000 miles
2.53%
once every 1,000-3,000 miles
10.13%
once every 3,001-10,000 miles
25.32%
once every 10,001-20,000 miles
20.25%
once every 20,001-30,000 miles
10.13%
once every more than 30,000 miles
13.92%
no crashes yet
17.72%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

how often do you crash?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 10:33 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
how often do you crash?

been thinking about this a bit lately, observing various road conditions, pondering how close to the envelope it’s worth getting, and wondering just how dangerous this sport is. of course there are statistics about fatalities but few or none about injury crashes in general.

for purposes of discussion, a “crash” is your body meeting the pavement at more than a few miles per hour. broken skin or damaged bike or worse. include any such incident regardless of cause - automobile, rider error, equipment failure, etc. exclude things like unclipping falls ans any other zero injury (other than pride) incident at low speed.

if you don’t know your mileage, guess. i have not yet crashed. not looking forward to the first time.
Old 06-09-23, 10:42 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i prefer not to contemplate on how dangerous this sport is. that said, i don't crash very often, last self inflicted crash was maybe 2 years ago. a couple car run-ins last year or the year before. sometimes i do think i push my luck sometimes, its the descents, they are so much fun. my sister asked me once why so fast, i didn't really have a good answer.

on the self inflicted crash i was losing it on a turn (way too fast) and headed toward a split rail fence. i started to reach out with my hand to grab a nearby stop sign pole while fishtailing on the pavement thinking i'd brace for the inevitable. i quickly pulled back thinking that i'd break my hand. that hand survived, the other did not.
Old 06-10-23, 05:00 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Last one was about 1990 on some fast singletrack. The day after I bought my first ever helmet. I average 5000 kms per year mostly on the road.
Old 06-10-23, 05:16 AM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Well as more of a mtn biker I'd have to go with the less than 1000 option. On the road bike I've never wrecked and never want too. The idea of sliding across pavement basically naked or getting ran over isn't very appealing. Wrecking in the woods on dirt isn't really that big of a deal most of the time, dislocated finger.
Old 06-10-23, 10:00 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Fortunately haven’t hit the deck in 25 years. The last time I did was at 20 MPH when my front wheel was taken out by another rider’s rear wheel slipping out on wet rail road tracks. We both went down and ruined a brand new rain jacket, aerated my shorts and had less than fun showers for a week.

Like Canker, when learning to MTB I would crash just about every time for the first two years overcooking corners or obstacles, but it was a blast if you didn’t mind bruises and a bit of blood.

Old 06-10-23, 10:07 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
On the MTB almost every time I rode, but nothing more than scrapes and bruises. On the road bike, I have scars.
Old 06-10-23, 10:32 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Really depends on the ride scenario and how much risk I'm exposing myself to: Casually commuting around in normal conditions, I think I've crashed maybe once in the past 15 years and even that was a result of a careless mistake combined with the influence of alcohol. When I lived in Colorado and commuted year round by bike minor falls on snow and ice would happen a few times per season, but these were no worse than a minor fall when skiing. Road cycling in general, I've had other people run into me twice in 15 years, but never crashed myself out. And when I'm regularly mountain biking, I might crash a few times in a single year, but that's entirely from riding on steep downhill trails where playing with gravity is inherently more dangerous (but fun).
Old 06-10-23, 02:24 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Not on the road bike or gravel bike. I actually don't crash that much on the MTB either but maybe one a year on some loose steep downhill, usually.
Old 06-10-23, 05:59 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 193 Posts
First time in a year and half last weekend. Out mountain biking, too much hill, too many rocks, too little skill. Fell over. I don't ride MTB often.

Last one before that was a right hook. More me hitting the car than the car hitting me. Busted bike, busted right collarbone.

Aside from hitting/hit by a car once, most of mine have been spills usually related to off-road riding. Once I couldn't unclip fast enough and fell over. For the record, I forgot I put on new cleats and therefore forgot I would need more effort to unclip.

In general since starting ~4 years ago, I think I've gotten smarter and do a pretty good job avoiding danger when road biking. And I don't overreach riding MTB. Pretty much keep it to flow trails with some occasional rocks. I also maintain my bikes, so odds of a major mechanical causing a crash, I think it is unlikely for me.

But we balance on two narrow wheels, so no matter how careful we are, odds are we'll fall over sometimes. I'm somewhat cautious, especially at speed, so hopefully most of the damage will be limited to my ego.
Old 06-10-23, 06:29 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
Prior to yesterday i could have said not in over 30 years. Was hit by a car in 1985 and had a high speed crash on a mountain bike in the mid 90’s and then yesterday hit a patch of mud in a corner at around 18-20mph and went down. No real drama just some skin off my forearm. Not even sore today this was about 55 miles into a 71 mile ride
Old 06-10-23, 06:49 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
This is like talking about flats; don’t use the F word. Likewise, don’t use the C word.

that said, I think the answer here depends on how you ride. Race Crits competitively and you’re going to donate some skin occasionally. Ride solo, and take things conservatively cornering and descending and your crash risk is pretty nominal.

That said, only racing the occasional gravel race in recent years, I hadn’t crashed in 10 years until a mechanical failure this year which was entirely my fault
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 06-10-23, 08:50 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Not since the early 70s.

But there were about 30 years where I didn't ride.
Old 06-10-23, 09:43 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
After the last one about two years ago, I have pretty much shut myself down trying to push things.
Just not worth it. At 60 y/o, healing takes a long time and it is a bit self-indulgent when family still depends upon me.
Old 06-10-23, 10:04 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
…d it is a bit self-indulgent when family still depends upon me.
yes, this occurs to me often. i love descending fast, but i wonder how much safer it would be at 30 vs 40, for example. or never riding when it’s wet. or on busy roads.

that said, the results of the poll are moderately promising with the median crash frequency hovering in the 15k miles range, skewed by MTB crashes, which is a big no-go for me for various reason.
Old 06-11-23, 09:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do I count the times I came to a stop suddenly and forgot to clip out?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-11-23, 09:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Once in 1973. Again in 1995. Broke a collarbone in the first, dislocated the other one in the second.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-11-23, 11:27 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Cycle Cross bike, a couple times a season. Road, I can't remember.
Old 06-11-23, 04:48 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by mschwett
..exclude things like unclipping falls ans any other zero injury (other than pride) incident at low speed.
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do I count the times I came to a stop suddenly and forgot to clip out?
nope. unless maybe you forgot to unclip and tipped over off the side of a cliff? 😱
Old 06-12-23, 05:22 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 400 Posts
Road - three major crashes.

-Somehow went over the bars on a 120 mile ride. Knocked out cold, ambulance, woke up a few hours later in a CT scan. Was off the bike for a few months.

-Got pushed off the road by another rider - good tumble, minor fracture in my wrist.

-Equipment failure, assploding CF handlebars - broken shoulder, collar bone, 3 broken ribs, concussion, busted up knee.
Old 06-12-23, 09:26 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
It's been many many years since I have crashed.

The only two I even remember anymore were back in H.S. Once, when I was riding my old Sears Free Spirit with 1/2-inoperative brakes, I was carrying something in one hand and the other hand was on the handlebar with no brake. At some point I was faced with either hitting a parked car, hitting an oncoming car head-on, or crashing. I chose the latter. Fortunately it was all grass and I was fine.

The other time was when I was riding and some older kids were coming the other way. One veered towards me and gave me a swift kick which sent me into the ditch and dense brush, just like Dave Stoller in "Breaking Away". I recognized his face from school and I got even a couple-three years later but that is a tale for another time.
Old 06-12-23, 01:03 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
My last pavement crash was 5-6 years ago. I was on a wet MUP and I swerved to avoid a runner on an MUP who suddenly decided to U-turn as I was passing. I lost traction and went down hard on my side, then got yelled at by the runner as I was scraping myself off the pavement.

I also race CX and find myself hitting the deck at least a few times every season. These are usually uneventful and result in little more than grass stains and laughs, though I did go over the bars last fall when another racer immediately in front of me crashed and I couldn't avoid him.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-13-23, 06:18 PM
mschwett 

a very nice statistical distribution hovering around a median of 1 crash per 15,000 miles.... hard to weight the "never crashed" folks without knowing how many miles their excellent luck/wisdom/skill/judgement represents. i ride around 6,500 miles a year, if i have a major crash every three years i'd probably quit the sport. some minor scrapes and bruises every three years, that i can live with!
Old 06-13-23, 08:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
1 crash hitting my noggin 30 years ago, I think, and cant remember all the rest.

Old 06-14-23, 10:03 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
One major time when I was hit by a car. Another time due to a mechanical issue.

Two occasions where I've scraped a car or the side of a tunnel (but body did not hit pavement).

Two occasions at low speed in the parking lot due to I don't know what, no injuries but I did have to bend the derailleur hanger back. These probably don't meet the criteria set in the OP.

When I used to mountain bike, it got to be like once every other ride, and that's what prompted me to stop trying to get air on descents.

All this over probably 25k miles of riding.
Old 06-14-23, 10:26 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Crashed once on a sportbike going into a turn too fast. End over end, totalled the bike. Fortunately only a broken ankle. Once on a bicycle in a criterium. Got a free replacement helmet from Giro. A few crashes in Motocross. I think that's pretty good for 57 years of two wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.