Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Smoking some roadies!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Smoking some roadies!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 12:23 PM
NoCom_rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no need for a helmet

Originally Posted by 'nother
Obviously faked. The kid is not even wearing a helmet
Anything goes with recumbents. No helmets needed when racing high tech bent speed bikes as there are no endos while crashing. The worst that can happen is road rash on the feet during a typical bent vs. roadie USCF crit crash. Recumbent racing sandals do not offer foot protection like Sidi Ergos.
Old 12-11-07, 05:33 PM
Recumbomatic

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you roadies think you are fast now, you should really come over and try a recumbent. Granted, they're not as social as an upright, but with a few months of training you'll really be flying.
Old 12-11-07, 05:46 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Recumbomatic
If you roadies think you are fast now, you should really come over and try a recumbent. Granted, they're not as social as an upright, but with a few months of training you'll really be flying.
But if we don't think we are fast now, and we enjoy riding upright, what should we do? Such a dilemma. Maybe more video of recumbents passing roadies in pretend races would push us over the edge.
Likes For 'nother:
Old 12-11-07, 05:53 PM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does the smoke come off the shoes? Is that re-entry type of speed causing the shoes to burn?
Old 12-11-07, 06:51 PM
NoCom_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with a few months of training you'll really be flying...

Do you really want a bunch of Pro 1/2 USCF riders convert and race bents? The Pro 1/2s always crash into each other at Bent VS. USCF National races. If they can not ride without crashing their Pinarellos they do not belong on a fast recumbent.

https://slappy-recumbent.blogspot.com...listering.html
Old 12-11-07, 06:53 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dilemma indeed. You won't enjoy the upright after you've tried a recumbent. At least you can be a little faster and make a non-smoking video
I'll take it under consideration but unfortunately I just re-upped my 2008 USA Cycling membership and I'd kinda like to participate in some of their sanctioned races (even if I do get smoked). So probably not this year.
Likes For 'nother:
Old 01-02-23, 06:07 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
still the best thread evar

Originally Posted by aikigreg
https://video.google.com/videoplay?do...140&pr=goog-sl

First – forgive me, but I suck at editing clips. Best I could do. This is all taken from a helmet mounted camera pointed backwards. It's shaky because my helmet is too loose and I need a new one.

Video starts off with me and Bud having left the parking lot last in the group. As I enter the road, two roadies in full matching kits drop behind me. You can see the scenery start to speed up as I race past them. Then one turns his head and says something to his buddy – probably “way WAY a recumbent just passed us!” and they give chase. Eventually I slow down, let them catch up, and drop them again. Yes I am an evil bastard. About 2:10 into the video, I pass a car.

Scene II – sensation of speed as you see the concrete fly by. That’s Bud_Bent behind me again. He was obviously taking an easy recovery pace since he was behind me instead of way off in the distance. The two of us were passing geeks on their tri bikes all day with no effort.

Scene 3 – same

Scene 4 – here comes Mark Leuck and it’s on from here on out in the scenes. I pretty much left everything unedited from this point on, since I didn’t want anyone to think I cut out when a roadie passed us – because that just never happened. It was “Lowracer and Highracer Roadie Spank Day”

About 7:00 in there is a short downhill followed by a lot of sharp turns that I brake hard for. You can tell this by watching the roadie behind me fade away and then gain ground.

10:00 – I’m a pretty decent hillclimber, even on a lowracer. You can see me pop over this hill and then put the hammer down. Watch how fast Mark becomes just a spot in the distance. Unfortunately, my lead doesn’t last very long because thanks to a kinked der. Housing, I can’t shift into the big ring, and Mark CAN. Not to mention he’s a strong rider of course!

Unfortunately I ran out of battery power, or I’d have some more to throw in. There was a roadie friend of Mark and TJ who gave us chase for quite a while at nearly 30mph for miles, but power was gone long before then.
Old 01-03-23, 12:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
When Greg posted this, he was still in his 'new lowracer' mode and reveling in the newfound speed. It all becomes routine after a while. In the past I've posted 3-4 minute clips of rides where I'm passing LOTS of bikes. I didn't worry about cutting out the times I got passed, because as Greg posted, there were none. These days I just prefer to ride with my club group and not take it personally if someone passes them. Although if I like the new pace, I might wave the group goodbye and tell them I'll wait up for them at the next stop.
Old 01-04-23, 12:23 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While I have never really "smoked a roadie", on occasion I have made their tongues hang out. There is a bike trail here in town that is up hill for about 2 miles. While the grade is not too steep, when riding into a 30 mph wind, it does give you a work out. Now and then when I see a roadie coming in the rear view mirror, I have been known to click it up a gear and really lean on the pedals. Those that do pass me look a little red in the face.
Old 01-04-23, 03:46 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Or at least tied for first with We're Going To Yell At You and the one where DuraAceR300 engaged his "massive guads" and "dialed it up to 400 watts" in Prospect Park.
Old 01-06-23, 06:19 PM
caffeineracer

Bikes: Performer Lowracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've taken a few videos riding with roadies.
I'm new here and don't have enough posts yet to post links.
But you can find my youtube channel named.

Jeffers Caffeineracer
Old 05-21-23, 08:29 PM
Crash2Much

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The roadies make fun of me on my low racer recumbent bike, they tell me to get a real bike. I ride with the roadies at the rear they keep looking at me in the rear. Soon as someone starts yelling BS at me, are you getting tired back there, etc. that is a good time to pass the whole group. I am passing and the tough guys try to keep up with me. We are doing 25 mph so I hold that speed and get them have a few minutes to get tired then I speed up to 27. They are struggling to keep up then I speed up to 28 then its all they can do to keep up. I hold 28 for a minute some of them drop off. The last die hard is still hanging on at 28 so I speed up to 30. Lost him. LOL. When I see the guys later they don't say anything and I'm not a jerk to rub it in. Those roadies are jerks.
Old 05-25-23, 07:38 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Roadies don't like lowracers because there's no draft behind them. A short rider can get a good draft behind my M5CHR, but behind a lowracer... nuttin'.
Old 06-19-23, 01:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

You have to understand that roadies are the ancient clique of DF riders, that hate bent and trikes for their certain advantages. They get all upset if you EVEN mention those advantages.

Proof of that is I have been banned from all threads except this recumbent heading. Apparently the site is run by the DF roadies.

BTW another group that the roadies hate are the E-bike riders of any kind. They despise an old guy like me (85) smoking them up hill into the wind, with my E-trike. OTOH they took great joy smoking me before I got the motor.
Old 06-25-23, 07:35 PM
Crash2Much

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know why roadies have such at attitude. Wow, get a life.
Old 06-25-23, 08:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash2Much
I don't know why roadies have such at attitude. Wow, get a life.
We don’t. Rydabent enjoys exaggerating his perception of things that may not have actually happened in the real world. He’s not alone in that game. Don’t fall for it.
Old 06-27-23, 12:30 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash2Much
The roadies make fun of me on my low racer recumbent bike, they tell me to get a real bike. I ride with the roadies at the rear they keep looking at me in the rear. Soon as someone starts yelling BS at me, are you getting tired back there, etc. that is a good time to pass the whole group. I am passing and the tough guys try to keep up with me. We are doing 25 mph so I hold that speed and get them have a few minutes to get tired then I speed up to 27. They are struggling to keep up then I speed up to 28 then its all they can do to keep up. I hold 28 for a minute some of them drop off. The last die hard is still hanging on at 28 so I speed up to 30. Lost him. LOL. When I see the guys later they don't say anything and I'm not a jerk to rub it in. Those roadies are jerks.
That sounds like a very real story that isn't fake at all. In fact it sounds so real it should have a T.V. show on MTV or something!

I doubt people are making fun of you and if they are it has nothing to do with any bicycles they ride or any B.S. like that and it could be the modern fragility that a lot of folks seem to have or have developed where they perceive everything as an attack on them when it isn't.

As someone who owns a few road bikes I could care less what you are riding, if you are having fun, go for it and if you aren't find a way to have fun or a different hobby so you can have some fun. This whole fake race against people because of your fragile egos is just silly. Just ride to have fun and if you want to race friends that is fine go for it but don't try and make it some aggro B.S. just to fan the flames.

If you need people to hate, there is a ton of them in this world, from famous people to world leaders to those who prey on innocent people and so many more that you could really sink your teeth into rather than hating on cyclists in a cycling forum.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-29-23, 02:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
The zombie apocalypse is real.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-03-23, 07:08 AM
BlazingPedals

I used to get the "get a real bike" comment enough to be annoying. I think back 15-20 years ago, when bents were becoming more popular, the racer-types were worried that we'd take over the world or something, and got pretty abusive sometimes. Maybe it's because so many bent riders got old and bought trikes and disappeared to the MUPs, but I don't see that much anymore. Nowadays, unless you're trying to enter a race, a bike is a bike.
Old 10-26-23, 08:49 PM
Shriram

Bikes: Specialized Epic MTB, Battaglin Road, RANS V-Rex Recumbent

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice, dropping folks is always a fun boost and encouraging. Esp. when they are on a different kind of bike, and may look down on bent riders
Old 11-12-23, 10:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

The main reason I like to promote bents and trikes is the fact that 99% of riders dont give a damn if someone is faster than them. And then most of that 99% would be better served riding bents and trikes because of their basic advantage, comfort. And just like me, ride for fun and health.

On the other hand if you want to race or single track, buy the appropriate bike.
Old 11-12-23, 10:18 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The zombie apocalypse is real.
More than we knew last June.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-15-23, 01:10 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 258 Posts
BTW another group that the roadies hate are the E-bike riders of any kind. They despise an old guy like me (85) smoking them up hill into the wind, with my E-trike. OTOH they took great joy smoking me before I got the motor.

I’m not sure I would consider myself to be a “roadie” as per this thread because I bicycle mostly on bike trails, no more than 10% of my bicycling currently uses roads or streets. And then there’s this attitude qualification to be a roadie, if true, I don’t seem to have it. Who passes me or who do I pass is absolutely unimportant to me. Occasionally, one encounters an unusually rude person but I don’t associate that behavior with bicycling- some people are just rude, doesn’t matter where you encounter them. As a matter of fact, as a group, I feel that a larger proportion of car drivers are more thoughtless than bicyclists.

Now about the your comment of someone “smoking” a bicyclist in an electric bicycle going uphill - think about it, how does it even matter, battery/motor is doing part or all of the work, why would a bicyclist care! All a bicyclist like I would expect this smoker to do is to follow the rules of bicycling as he flies by me, which would limit him to go no more than 20 miles/hr.
Old 11-15-23, 01:32 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 258 Posts
For comfort in riding, I have thought about buying a tricycle on and off for some time. Two reasons have prevented me from buying one, 1) I cannot easily transport them in a small Prius I tend to dive around town (~100 mile radius), and 2) their cost - the ones I seemed interested in buying were all over $5,000.

Reading this thread has made me realize one thing, since these contraptions seem to be popular only among older smokers, some of them must be reaching their natural (or unnatural) expiration date. Chances are that their offsprings, being much younger, may not be too keen in using trikes, ergo, there must be a steady availability of trikes in used market where old people live.

I recall one lunch with my father-in-law; through the window we noticed a funeral procession go by - his only comment was there goes one more RV on sale!
Old 02-18-24, 03:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

I ride both a bent and a trike, and always wear a helmet. You never know what might happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.