Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Bike Rental recommendation NYC

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 12-06-22, 02:46 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts

My daughter will spend some time in NYC at the end of the month and would like to do there what she does in her hometown: get around on a bike. Any bike rental outfits that you'd recommend or that stand out for some reason?
Old 12-06-22, 07:35 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,519 Times in 725 Posts
It's a big town, but if your daughter is in Manhattan or the cool part of Bklyn, then Citi Bikes (bike share) is a really easy way to get around. No worries about theft or getting the bike in/out of the apartment.

My cyclist buddy in Manhattan has a super CF road bike for "riding" but uses Citi Bikes for transport all the time.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 12-08-22, 09:04 PM
heidelbergensis 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 46 Posts
I concur with BTinNYC - if this is just for the purpose of getting around and seeing the city, then CITI Bike is the solution. You can pay as you go, and as long as you have a smartphone, plan ahead where you can both pick up and drop off a bike. It's like a bike-share platform in any European city. As far as actually renting a bike, any places that allow for this are going to be expensive and would only lend bikes for several hours. Frankly, I would avoid these services. CITI Bike is the way to go!

Also, as far as safety in the city, contrary to popular opinion (and my own personal thoughts), NYC can actually be a very safe and rewarding place to ride around - as long as one goes slow and uses bike lanes, looks around and pays attention to cars, you should be good. The fact that I myself almost die every time I go for a ride has to do with the neighborhoods I ride through (few bike lanes) and my riding style (no patience).
Old 12-09-22, 12:09 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Is our visitor looking for "point to point" rides, an all-day rental, or a multi-day-keep-overnight rental ? Citibikes are most useful for point-to-point, but not really more than 45 minutes or so. For a half-day or full-day rental, there are lots of bike rental shops around the city, which you can easily find on Yelp. They usually have a "basic" and a "premium" selection of moutain bikes or hybrids. If you said she was looking to get a CF road bike for laps in the park, that would require a bit of research, but it's out there.
Old 12-10-22, 04:17 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts
Thanks for the insights. Citibikes will definitely work for point-to-point, though I've read somewhere that you have to check the bike in a station every 30 minutes?! She might want to do one or several day rides on a better bike (decent hybrid or a nice C&V bike), depending on available time and probably the weather. Found a nice cycling guide to NYC that describes some routes:

Old 12-13-22, 02:44 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 974 Posts
Larry's Freewheeeling Cycles is located at the north end of Central Park on 110th street a half block from the park. They do rentals and may offer longer-term rates. Not sure.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 12-13-22, 08:43 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I believeToga bikes on the UWS rents on a 24 hour basis, so if you take out a bike at noon, you don't need to return it until noon the next day.
Likes For dendawg:
Old 02-03-23, 05:11 PM
ChairmanMeow

Bikes: '83 Specialized Expedition, '76(?) Austro Daimler Superleicht, '95 & '97 Santa Cruz Tazmons, '86 Miyata Ridge Runner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second CitiBikes for getting around/shorter distances (They do have a daily pass, but it's kind of pricey). For longer rides or more frequent use, investing in a beater bike may be more cost-effective- plenty of used bikes are available for reasonable prices in NYC, especially Brooklyn. $50 is doable if you look and can get you something functional; It's also cheap enough that you don't have to worry about re-selling it when you leave - only a little more than a CitiBike day pass.