Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

How Often Do You Encounter Another Tadpole Rider?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

How Often Do You Encounter Another Tadpole Rider?

Old 01-07-23, 12:33 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
That certainly wasn't the case with me. I've wanted a recumbent delta trike from the first time I knew they existed, and maybe before that, and back then I'd been riding uprights and enjoying them a great deal. I just couldn't afford one; they all cost about as much as a good used car back then--if you could find one. I've still never seen one in the wild, though I don't get around much. For that matter, I've never seen a tadpole trike in the wild yet either, and the only recumbent I've seen being used was on a rail-trail; some guy on a Rans LWB model.

So maybe my brain is wired a little differently, but aside from that, you can't go into most bike shops these days without seeing at least one tadpole prominently displayed, so if the upright riders aren't thinking about 'bents, maybe it's because they aren't looking.

And that brings the argument back to price again: for about $600 you can come out of your LBS with a very decent, reliable upright in the style of your choice, but it'll cost you twice that for an entry-level tadpole. These days, I think a lot of the people planning to spend that much are going for an e-bike instead.
I guess it depends where you live. I live in the Bay Area and actually there are very few recumbent shops. And not one of my lbs has a recumbent of any kind on the floor. in fact, i ended up buying a recumbent trike blindly as i could not easily find a shop to see them, without driving more than an hour to get to it. So for this major urban area, you're not going to see recumbents when you go to your local shop. i guess every area is different. The other factor, I think, is that recumbents (trikes anyway) are not as easily used on public transit for commuters compared to DF, and require a bit more space to lock up. They don't fit in the Bart lockers at our Bart stations and cannot easily be taken on trains so not a commuter choice and many folks have one bike for commuting and recreation. Now maybe if there had been a recumbent 2 wheeler in the shops around me I might have tried it out - I certainly have no great love for regular bike seats, lol. Even the most comfortable one is not as comfy as a recumbent seat. They don't make them anymore but i recently learned Bike Friday used to make a folding recumbent 2 wheeler - would have been awesome to have had one of those to consider in my DF days.
Old 01-07-23, 07:14 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
No progressive would ever say something so unenlightened so you cannot possibly be one. But there you are, a bent owner. A bent lover. By your logic Portland, OR arguably one of the most prominent Progressive bastions, should be awash in bents of all kinds, and while I have seen mind numbingly large amounts of bicycles of every description, I've seen just a handful of bent bikes and just three trikes while out and about. <shrug> ...
Now that we have actually had some rain here in the Bay Area, I can see why recumbent trikes would not be popular in Portland. Riding that close to the ground with most of your body close to parallel to the ground is not a good thing when it is wet. On my DF I can use an inexpensive poncho to stay dry. On a recumbent trike, I think it's either full rain jacket and pants AND water proof shoes or a canopy and fairing. Both are more trouble and more expense than a poncho you can whip on and off and stuff in a bag. If this thing where water from the sky falls down on us keeps up here in the Bay Area, I may have to buy fenders!!!!! Haven't used them in a decade, lol. But we do need the rain.........
Old 01-17-23, 12:50 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Now that we have actually had some rain here in the Bay Area, I can see why recumbent trikes would not be popular in Portland. Riding that close to the ground with most of your body close to parallel to the ground is not a good thing when it is wet. On my DF I can use an inexpensive poncho to stay dry. On a recumbent trike, I think it's either full rain jacket and pants AND water proof shoes or a canopy and fairing. Both are more trouble and more expense than a poncho you can whip on and off and stuff in a bag. If this thing where water from the sky falls down on us keeps up here in the Bay Area, I may have to buy fenders!!!!! Haven't used them in a decade, lol. But we do need the rain.........
Most trike riders have sense enough to come in out of the rain.
Old 01-17-23, 01:08 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by rydabent
Most trike riders have sense enough to come in out of the rain.
It's the post-rain roadways, lol. We've had so much rain that instead of puddles we have mini-lakes on the roadways. It's gonna take days to dry everything out to where I'm not getting crap sprayed everywhere.
Old 01-19-23, 12:24 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Once in westchester after a hill climb, guy was as surprised as I was to see another tadpole rider.
Old 01-20-23, 02:05 PM
rydabent
Banned

Actually with the two front wheels on both sides of you, any water they kick up goes past you. It is DF bikes and recumbent bikes that has a wheel right in front of you to throw water on you.
Old 01-20-23, 02:37 PM
linberl

Actually with the two front wheels on both sides of you, any water they kick up goes past you. It is DF bikes and recumbent bikes that has a wheel right in front of you to throw water on you.
That may be true in theory, lol, but the underside of both my forearms are soaked and covered in road mud everytime I ride after a rain. Probably because I'm fairly short with "t rex' arms and end up sitting close to the front tires. On my DF bikes
nothing ever hit my upper body, just the end of my pants. And a simple poncho worked great for riding IN the rain, hooked over the bars and kept me very dry. Doesn't work on the recumbent, lol, the wind blows straight up the end of the poncho
and even with a strap and buckle the legs get wet. i can see why folks put on fairings and make velomobiles! i'm finding my usual methods just need changing now that I'm on a trike. Have to find a bigger tree to hide under or a bigger awning, and reroute around
places I know tend to flood, etc. All good, just a learning curve.
Old 01-30-23, 08:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Two or three a year, and it surprises me as I now have a Catrike for bad arthritis days and we are in a semi-retirement type community in AZ with 5' and 8' bike lanes everywhere. I also have a Trident folder for our month or so in WA in spring where I have seen one and where we summer in WY I doubt I will ever see a bent.
Old 02-02-23, 12:01 PM
rydabent
Banned

I guess it depends where you live. I live in the Bay Area and actually there are very few recumbent shops. And not one of my lbs has a recumbent of any kind on the floor. in fact, i ended up buying a recumbent trike blindly as i could not easily find a shop to see them, without driving more than an hour to get to it. So for this major urban area, you're not going to see recumbents when you go to your local shop. i guess every area is different. The other factor, I think, is that recumbents (trikes anyway) are not as easily used on public transit for commuters compared to DF, and require a bit more space to lock up. They don't fit in the Bart lockers at our Bart stations and cannot easily be taken on trains so not a commuter choice and many folks have one bike for commuting and recreation. Now maybe if there had been a recumbent 2 wheeler in the shops around me I might have tried it out - I certainly have no great love for regular bike seats, lol. Even the most comfortable one is not as comfy as a recumbent seat. They don't make them anymore but i recently learned Bike Friday used to make a folding recumbent 2 wheeler - would have been awesome to have had one of those to consider in my DF days.
With so much site seeing to do in the Bay Area, I would love to ride my trike there. Trikes are the most ideal cyclist machine to do site seeing with. You can ride as slow as you want to, or completely stop to take pictures.
Old 02-02-23, 12:23 PM
linberl

With so much site seeing to do in the Bay Area, I would love to ride my trike there. Trikes are the most ideal cyclist machine to do site seeing with. You can ride as slow as you want to, or completely stop to take pictures.
I'm seeing more and more new trike riders almost daily here. The Bay Trail is an extraordinary place to ride with unparalleled views. You can stop on your trike and watch the Great Blue Herons, or enjoy the. view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the City from comfort. Sometimes I take along a nice lunch and enjoy lunch with a million dollar view! If you ever come to ride here, come near the end of September.......it's warmer than summer.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-06-23, 10:32 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I bought my first trike about a year ago and live near a regional paved trail, so that’s where I ride the trike. Mostly I trike & take binoculars and go birdwatching. I’ll ride along then park somewhere, lock my brakes and watch nature in action, then head on down the trail to the next interesting spot. Since I own a trike I notice them much more than before.
Old 02-15-23, 08:51 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I do wonder if the E-Bike craze has moved some trike riders back to the 2 wheelers? I rarely see a tadpole riding around now. Maybe 4-5 last year. But E-bikes are everywhere.

The Howard's Friends Ride coming up in April in Michigan usually brings out a few trikes and bents. It about the only time I see any sort of bent gathering anymore.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 02-15-23, 04:34 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by friday1970
I do wonder if the E-Bike craze has moved some trike riders back to the 2 wheelers? I rarely see a tadpole riding around now. Maybe 4-5 last year. But E-bikes are everywhere.

The Howard's Friends Ride coming up in April in Michigan usually brings out a few trikes and bents. It about the only time I see any sort of bent gathering anymore.
Turning a tadpole trike into an E-trike is very simple. Why would they want to go back to all the problems of a DF bike.

Last edited by rydabent; 02-15-23 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-01-23, 06:41 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Since moving to FL. I see a lot of trikes. I've only seen a couple recumbent bikes, and no other velos yet, although I know some are around here.
Old 03-06-23, 11:33 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
I do wonder if the E-Bike craze has moved some trike riders back to the 2 wheelers?
Turning a tadpole trike into an E-trike is very simple.
Yeah, I would bet >25% of the tadpole 'bents I see around Tucson are E-Bikes...er, I mean E-Trikes.
Hard to tell whether they came that way new or were retrofitted, but they're pretty popular here.
Old 03-06-23, 12:38 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I see a man & woman “driving” oh I mean “riding” their electric bike down the trail. I don’t think I have seen them actually pedal. I stopped & chatted & the guy was encouraging me on the ways of electric motors….told me I’d get up hills easier. Huh. I don’t have problems going anywhere on my trike.
Oh well.
Old 03-06-23, 03:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

It's the post-rain roadways, lol. We've had so much rain that instead of puddles we have mini-lakes on the roadways. It's gonna take days to dry everything out to where I'm not getting crap sprayed everywhere.
With a trike, you can stop and smell the roses WITHOUT putting a foot down. That is one of the great pluses of riding a trike. You stay clipped in and can ride straight off without wobbling around and annoying car drivers.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-06-23, 04:12 PM
linberl

With a trike, you can stop and smell the roses WITHOUT putting a foot down. That is one of the great pluses of riding a trike. You stay clipped in and can ride straight off without wobbling around and annoying car drivers.
I bit the bullet and ordered fenders finally, Many days with breaks in the rain of several hours and super wet roadways with mud; once I get the fenders installed i can get a ride in between the rains. Guess the drought is mostly over. And yes, you don't have to put a foot down with a trike. Makes it easier to be a law abiding driver, lol, and stop at stop signs.
Likes For linberl:
Old 05-16-23, 02:44 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCaled
NEVER! I have only seen one other in my neck of the woods, but saw them while driving.
Gee and I thot that Southern Calif was supposed to be the enlightened area of the country.

On the internet there is a group that calls itself the trike squadron that posts videos of their rides on bike trails in the Huntington beach area. Watching their videos, I would love to ride with them.

Last edited by rydabent; 05-16-23 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-16-23, 02:49 PM
rydabent
Banned

Well, where I live there is a 3 foot passing law. And most driver don't give bikes the mandatory 3 feet, unfortunately. And there's no enforcement, of course. Sigh.
Almost all of us trike riders say cars give us far more room on a trike than on a bike. Again the reason is they perceive us as some form of handicap machine. Drivers dont want to see their name splashed all over the front page of the local newspaper as a driver that hit a handicap person. As long as they want the think that about trikes, the better for us that it is.
Old 05-16-23, 02:52 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
We don't all live in Lincoln, NE! A trike is not the most practical commute vehicle in close-in Portland, OR. I've seen only three people attempting it in over 12 years here. The vast majority trike on rail-trails, on weekends and Holiday weekends. That isn't me, so I am going to be on two wheels for as long as the vestibular canals hold out. At 64 they aren't even close to packing up. You do you and the rest of us will do what we will. As we all must.
But Lincoln has 130 miles of hard surface hiker biker trails. There is even one right thru the down town that is a protected path, with its own traffic light signals.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-16-23, 07:17 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 3,545 Times in 1,766 Posts
Gee and I thot that Southern Calif was supposed to be the enlightened area of the country.
On the internet there is a group that calls itself the trike squadron that posts videos of their rides on bike trails in the Huntington beach area. Watching their videos, I would love to ride with them.
We are enlightened, the sun is always shining.
Since my last post I have seen ONE, and I was scared for him, he had a proper tall flag and was doing everything right, but, he was riding in San Pedro (the port of Los Angeles) and that traffic doesn't care about your flag it is just who is bigger. I saw him almost get squished by a fully loaded rig that made a last minute lane change, under a bridge in the shadows. He was definitely covering territory though, I saw him later clear across town on the PV side of the peninsula.
There is a least one more out there, I had a Terra Trike Rambler GT (for about 15 seconds until I confirmed I prefer 2 wheels) I passed along to my friends father in Orange county. He has been tearing around in the parks and the strand on the beach. He came to visit and saw my trike and said, "my doctor told me I should get one of these" I sent him off for a test ride and he came back smiling, so I sent him home with it.
Old 07-16-23, 02:07 PM
tamss13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started in 2000 (Allen Tx) people would stop me an ask what is that you are riding....I got stopped all the time....took a year off...started back a month ago and I've ran into at least 8 people with trikes on my morning quick ride.
Old 07-16-23, 08:41 PM
linberl

Ran into a group recumbent ride this morning - 8 tadpoles, 2 of the other, and a couple 2 wheel recumbents. Cool group.
Old 07-18-23, 04:30 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Almost all of us trike riders say cars give us far more room on a trike than on a bike. Again the reason is they perceive us as some form of handicap machine. Drivers dont want to see their name splashed all over the front page of the local newspaper as a driver that hit a handicap person. As long as they want the think that about trikes, the better for us that it is.
I have been riding my ICE Sprint X (trike) on the roads for 6 years now and I can confirm that car, bus and truck drivers all give me way more space than when I'm out on my Moulton AM Speed, or Brompton 2-wheel bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.