Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Miyata LT 1000

Old 03-15-23, 08:27 AM
barryallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Miyata LT 1000

Hi All - he is asking $600 for this, his is willing to adjust the price, by changing out the pedals and saddle https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

all in all seems in good shape - first timer really here, dont really know a reasonable budget for something like this

Thanks for the help - in atlanta btw

Old 03-15-23, 08:33 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Find out what is under the tape on the top tube. (That happens to be where I dented mine.)
Old 03-15-23, 08:34 AM
barryallen

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Find out what is under the tape on the top tube. (That happens to be where I dented mine.)

Said it was just a small ding "Small bar ding on top tube. Cover by that snazzy leather thingy."

Price wise though? what do you think?
Old 03-15-23, 09:17 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
If everything is good and it is actually just a small ding the price is out of question the resto mod does look to be nicely done. For a facebook person to person sale the price seems a bit high I would think $450-500 would be a good price the market for vintage touring bikes has slowed down a bit lately from the pre and pandemic highs.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 03-15-23, 09:29 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Helps to know what your interest in it is. I assume you intend to keep it? At that price there's no flip potential. I'm a Miyata fan, own one and can attest that they are great frames. Are you looking to do some loaded touring?

Dings bother me. Covering them with "stuff" bothers me even more. It has the connotation (to me at least) that "there's something to hide". Whatever that is, the black stuff, isn't going to protect the bar from further abuse. In order to do that, they should have invested in one of these:

Old 03-15-23, 09:38 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
The bar looks too high to make that ding, unless it was lower before, or a bar-end shifter (which is unlikely). Those digs happen when you lean the bike up and something knocks it down and it hits a doorway edge or a signpost. I'm an expert. I did it to two touring bikes (Miyata 1000, and Soma Saga).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-15-23, 10:01 AM
barryallen

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Helps to know what your interest in it is. I assume you intend to keep it? At that price there's no flip potential. I'm a Miyata fan, own one and can attest that they are great frames. Are you looking to do some loaded touring?

Dings bother me. Covering them with "stuff" bothers me even more. It has the connotation (to me at least) that "there's something to hide". Whatever that is, the black stuff, isn't going to protect the bar from further abuse. In order to do that, they should have invested in one of these:

Yeah plan on keeping it! Mostly some city riding, nothing super long, and maybe loading once or twice, but not often
Old 03-15-23, 10:12 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by barryallen
Yeah plan on keeping it! Mostly some city riding, nothing super long, and maybe loading once or twice, but not often
Price as-is is more than I'd pay. You mentioned making it cheaper by "changing out the pedals and saddle". Given those are often chosen for personal taste, I'd see how much they'd want for it WITHOUT pedals or saddle and supply your own based on comfort and utility.

I'm sure it is a nice riding bike based on my experience with Miyata and the glowing comments made about the LT 1000.
Old 03-16-23, 10:05 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
$600 is in the ballpark without the ding. I’d value it closer to $400 with the ding assuming it’s a small one. My guess is that the ding is worse than the Seller is suggesting. There is no good reason to cover it up in a picture to a prospective buyer. I’d pass on this even though I’m a big fan of Miyata bikes.
Likes For bikemig: