Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

hill gradients for climbs in Somerset, Mercer, and Hunterdon Counties, N.J.??

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 09-29-22, 10:16 PM
merlindave

Bikes: 2000 Somerville, Mass. built, Merlin Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there any accurate site which has the actual gradients (in percentage) for the hills near me in the above counties?
I am looking for some of the lesser known ones (such as Dutchtown Road, Province Line Road, Pin Oak Road, etc.), and not the usual 'go to' ones everyone knows, and that are on that PJAMM Cycling site.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-30-22, 11:06 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I'm in Union county and I've never seen anything useful for our area and 'counties west'. You're probably going to need to calculate them (watch the hypotenuse, Dr Pythagoras). Depends on what tools you have at your disposal. Most GPS devices will give you an altitude, so that plus a ride distance measure gets you there. What I do find is that every measure I see is an average, and that doesn't always compare quite fairly. Half a hill at 2% and half a hill at 8% doesn't ride the same as a similar length 5% hill - as we all know. My little Garmin 130+ will give me a real-time readout of the grade I'm on, and I'd expect the other upper class Garmins do, too. You might find that some of the "route mappers" on the web (Garmin connect, Strava, MMR) might do that for you as well.
Old 09-30-22, 11:19 AM
merlindave

Bikes: 2000 Somerville, Mass. built, Merlin Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, THANK YOU for the reply.

If I could just learn to ignore all of the lambasting negatives I hear about current Garmin product online, I would get one of their devices with real time altitude/gradient metric displays.

BTW; I grew up in Union and Springfield, and was racing/training in the area when I was THE ONLY single registered A.B.L. of A member in all of Union County!!
Speedwork/intervals in Warinanco Park in Roselle, (or a ride up to Brookdale Park in Bloomfield), and MANY road/mountain training routes south, west and north.

One of my faves being out through Morristown via Columbia Turnpike, onto Sussex Turnpike, climbing that stepped hill, sprinting near the top, and then into Mount Freedom to the Route 10 intersection, and then back home, staying ahead of the cars down that hill!
Old 09-30-22, 08:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Map them on RWGPS.

Slyker Rd. out of Califon.

Ludlow Station Rd.

Fox Farm Rd.

Tunnel Hill off of NJ 173.