Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Shaving the dropout?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Shaving the dropout?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-22, 11:40 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Shaving the dropout?

I have a catrike recumbent. I want to install a bionx EV system onto it.

When I tried to install the wheel the metal bar going through the wheel was too thick for the dropout.

Is it safe to shave it?
Old 10-11-22, 01:24 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
There are lots of people who have added e-assist to Catrikes. BTW, the "metal bar" is called an axle. Places you could ask are the Catrike forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/catrike/, at Bentrideronline, or post a question at the Catrike company site using the contact page. It wouldn't make much difference on the right side because you are enlarging the hole in the derailleur hangar and that can always be replaced. The other side would be a permanent alteration to the frame and irreversible. How much difference is there between the diameter of the existing axle and the new one? I would drill out the extra space rather than file down the rear dropout.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-11-22, 10:18 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
There are lots of people who have added e-assist to Catrikes. BTW, the "metal bar" is called an axle. Places you could ask are the Catrike forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/catrike/, at Bentrideronline, or post a question at the Catrike company site using the contact page. It wouldn't make much difference on the right side because you are enlarging the hole in the derailleur hangar and that can always be replaced. The other side would be a permanent alteration to the frame and irreversible. How much difference is there between the diameter of the existing axle and the new one? I would drill out the extra space rather than file down the rear dropout.
I suppose I could always just shave the axle on the wheel itself?
Old 10-12-22, 08:49 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
That might work on the left side but you still have to get the right side of the axle through the derailleur hangar. You can only do that by drilling the hole larger. It shouldn't compromise the integrity of the hangar as it is pretty strong metal. On the other side you are decreasing the strength of the axle and if you are a heavy person, that might be a problem. If you do that, shave off as little as possible and remember you will be destroying the threads on the axle so may not be able to disassemble the rear axle in the future for maintenance on the rear wheel.

I'd buy an extra derailleur hangar #45 as a spare. You can buy one as I did from an overseas vendor for under $10 including SpeedPack fast shipping or buy it here for over $30. I looked at Utah Trikes to verify the number and they are charging $40 plus shipping. The one I got from China is indistinguishable from the Wheels version.