Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 530 Data Field Problem

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-23, 01:22 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 190 Posts

I'm running into a problem trying to change a data field on one of the screens. I think I've boiled the issue down to this.

I can change the field to a typical builtin data field like "Timer" without any trouble. But if I try to set it to one of several Connect IQ data fields it always sets it to the same Connect IQ data field, regardless of which one I select.

Put another way, let's say I have 4 custom Connect IQ data fields, A, B, C, and D, and I want to set the field to C. I select C, but no matter what it always sets it to A.

It's worth noting I uses these fields on other screens. Though at this point I'm not about to experiment to see if I can change them and change them back for fear of losing access to them.

I'm pretty sure this is abnormal behavior and not something I'm doing wrong. I'm not new to this, though it's been a few months since I changed any data fields. I figure it's a bug in the Garmin, but just wondering if there are some known ways to get around these types of bugs. I've powered it down (not sleep). Also, it has the latest firmware version 9.73
Old 02-19-23, 10:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
AFAIK, the Connect IQ apps are from independent developers.. Though I might be totally wrong. So if you are having trouble with one, then you should either share what exact IQ app you have installed and are having trouble with or contact the developer

Garmin already gives a bunch of different time related data fields. Is part of your issue that the particular Garmin time field you want to use won't show or show correctly in your IQ app screen?
Old 02-19-23, 02:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
As stated, if this is an iQ app added on, it sounds like a big in that app, not the Garmin
Old 02-19-23, 04:55 PM
Mtracer

Originally Posted by Iride01
AFAIK, the Connect IQ apps are from independent developers.. Though I might be totally wrong. So if you are having trouble with one, then you should either share what exact IQ app you have installed and are having trouble with or contact the developer

Garmin already gives a bunch of different time related data fields. Is part of your issue that the particular Garmin time field you want to use won't show or show correctly in your IQ app screen?
I'm not working with anything related to time. I just used a timer field as an example of a built-in field that I can use without issue.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
As stated, if this is an IQ app added on, it sounds like a big in that app, not the Garmin
It's any Connect IQ Data Field. And they worked before and in fact I still use them on other screens. It really is like the screen editor in the Garmin has a bug and no matter which one I select it only loads the first one on the list.
Old 02-19-23, 06:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Mtracer
I'm not working with anything related to time. I just used a timer field as an example of a built-in field that I can use without issue.
It's any Connect IQ Data Field. And they worked before and in fact I still use them on other screens. It really is like the screen editor in the Garmin has a bug and no matter which one I select it only loads the first one on the list.
There is no such thing as a Connect iQ data field that is not a data field that is on an app download and installed from the iQ website. If you are having problems with a iQ app data field, thats on the developer of the iQ app you installed.

You have not indicated what iQ app you are using. You should not be having these issues on a normal data field that is part of what Garmin provided as part of the device OS.
Old 02-19-23, 08:19 PM
Mtracer

Originally Posted by Steve B.
There is no such thing as a Connect iQ data field that is not a data field that is on an app download and installed from the iQ website. If you are having problems with a iQ app data field, thats on the developer of the iQ app you installed.

You have not indicated what iQ app you are using. You should not be having these issues on a normal data field that is part of what Garmin provided as part of the device OS.
As I said, I am NOT having this issue with the built-in data fields. It is only with the Connect IQ Data Fields and these have worked fine and still work fine. It's just when I try to add one to a data screen. And yes, I should NOT be having this problem. It's not normal behavior. This worked fine in the past. It's only recently when I tried to change a data field. I eventually found that it is a problem with every Connect IQ Data filed I've tried.

I'm not asking for help with normal behavior, I was asking if anyone has an idea for a workaround or something to try. Some step or other that may fix this.
Old 02-19-23, 09:06 PM
Steve B.

As I said, I am NOT having this issue with the built-in data fields. It is only with the Connect IQ Data Fields and these have worked fine and still work fine. It's just when I try to add one to a data screen. And yes, I should NOT be having this problem. It's not normal behavior. This worked fine in the past. It's only recently when I tried to change a data field. I eventually found that it is a problem with every Connect IQ Data filed I've tried.

I'm not asking for help with normal behavior, I was asking if anyone has an idea for a workaround or something to try. Some step or other that may fix this.
Well, I'll ask again, is this a data field on an app that was downloaded from the iQ store and what app ?

Your comment in the first post was that its a bug in the Garmin, which is not likely, its more likely a bug in the downloaded app. Thus you should contact the app developer. FWIW, I have had a few iQ apps that were buggy or crashed the device. As the device worked fine prior to installing the app, I did not assume the device was the problem. I assumed whatever I changed last, which was the added app. When I deleted the app, the device went back to working fine. Not all apps are well tested and they can cause problems.
Old 02-20-23, 09:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

So you want a workaround to make it not work normally?!

Normal to me is when things work properly.

If you are having trouble adding a field to a screen then call Garmin support and/or contact the developer of the IQ app.

Perhaps if you shared more details of what the IQ app is and what field you are trying to put on what screen, then someone here could help you or at least try it out for themselves and see if they have the same issue.

But as far as we know right now, you are having trouble adding a field and an IQ app might be involved. We don't know if the field is from the IQ app going to a particular Garmin screen or a screen from the IQ app. On some of the Garmin screens, I don't think you can put any field you want on them. Maybe that's your issue.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-20-23 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-26-23, 05:33 PM
Mtracer

I played around with this a bunch more. I found the problem didn't exit on all data screens. Even if I created a new screen setup just like one that was acting up. Also, the problem seemed to be limited to only the last field of the screen. While most of the time the behavior was as I originally described it, where no matter which Connect IQ data field I selected it would use the first one in the list. It had for a time, immediately after selecting the data field, the unit would restart. It did this perhaps 6 times in a row. Then it stopped doing that.

Then the error was no matter which Connect IQ data filed I selected from say a list of 6 loaded on the Garmin, it would set the data filed to the field 2 selections back in the list of fields. I.E., if I selected the 3rd one in the list it loaded the first one. If I selected the 6th in the list it loaded the 4th. Then this behavior stopped after several tries. That was several days ago.

Today, I got back to it, and decided to delete all the screens I had created and start over. But before doing that I went to confirm the screens were still having the problem. All worked normally. So, somehow the issue resolved itself or at least stopped affecting this behavior. Maybe there is some bad memory and a different problem will surface somewhere else.

In any case, I still went ahead and deleted all the screens I could, and remade the screens I wanted without issue.

So, I can't say I discovered a fix. Though I guess if I have this problem again, I would consider deleting and rebuild the data screens.

It is clearly a bug or fault of some sort creating intermittent behavior. And sure, it could be a badly coded data field causing problems. Perhaps could have been a data field I tried a long time ago that I don't even have loaded anymore, that corrupted something. But nothing about it pointed to any one data filed I was working with now.
Old 02-27-23, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

So what has Garmin Support and the IQ apps developer said about it?

You don't tell us any specifics such as what IQ app and what exact fields on which screen.

So we are mostly just spectators to your rant.