Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Weight Training Lower Body During "Down Time"

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 05-08-13, 12:59 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Do any of you weight train your lower body during your macro rest/recovery phases?

I just finished Carmichael’s TCC program (I’ll post my thoughts on that when I have more time). According to the program, I'm due for a 6-week rest/recovery period. I’m done racing for the spring and plan to do 4-5 more races clustered in mid-late-August.

Other than some less intense riding over the next 6-weeks and catching up on some upper-body work, I’m also thinking about adding lower body gym work since I have not done that since early March. In other words, treat this 6-weeks as a mini-winter for training purposes.

Thoughts appreciated.
Old 05-08-13, 01:01 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
I'm curious. If your plan calls for rest, why are you thinking of adding weight training as a supplement to this?
Old 05-08-13, 01:06 PM
goose70

I know, it seems contradictory. My response is that it's not really six weeks of rest (as in, sitting on the couch), just six weeks without the structured intervals. You're still supposed to ride. Additionally, my thought (without really knowing) is that weight training puts different stresses on the legs compared to cycling, but I may be way off on that.
Old 05-08-13, 01:06 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a ton of threads from the last 6 months on weight training.

FWIW, I weight train full body year round. There's always a way to fit it into the schedule.
Old 05-08-13, 01:14 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
**** it - lift heavy that way when you grow up you can have legs like ole rkwaki...

No response needed from me, most of you know where I stand on this issue...
Old 05-08-13, 01:23 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Okay, I was just checking.

I think you can do a solid 4-5 week cycle of lifting in there and have it help your results in the late season races!
Old 05-08-13, 01:44 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
Do any of you weight train your lower body during your macro rest/recovery phases?

I just finished Carmichael’s TCC program (I’ll post my thoughts on that when I have more time). According to the program, I'm due for a 6-week rest/recovery period. I’m done racing for the spring and plan to do 4-5 more races clustered in mid-late-August.

Other than some less intense riding over the next 6-weeks and catching up on some upper-body work, I’m also thinking about adding lower body gym work since I have not done that since early March. In other words, treat this 6-weeks as a mini-winter for training purposes.

Thoughts appreciated.
If you are lifting weights, it is not rest or recovery. I think the relevant question is: are you blown from the TTC program? If you are, then rest. If not, you aren't really doing the TTC (from what I understand of the program), and you should probably just back off for a week or two and then start over with a base/build phase of training (which might include weights). 6 weeks is a long time to rest unless you are well and truly flirting with overtraining.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-09-13, 04:43 PM
goose70

Thanks all.

Brian, that's a question I've been asking myself. Particularly in the first 4-5 weeks of TCC, I don't think I pushed myself as hard as I should have. In my last cluster of three races last week, I did feel that I had declining power coming out of corners and on surges. So I'm pretty sure that I peaked a couple of weeks ago, but what I didn't expereince is some flaming crash where I just knew I had nothing left, so I probably didn't take TCC to its full potential. And that probably answers my question about weights v rest.

I have to be off the bike this week anyway because of work. After that, I plan to gradually get back into it, including weights for about 4 weeks, then take another easy week, then either re-start TCC or some other structured, interval-based program to prepare for mid-August. I may even follow rkwaki's advice and just keep on lifting.
Old 05-09-13, 05:30 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I treat lifting days the same as anaerobic interval day. It's not recovery.