Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tire recommendations for 29'er x 2-2.25" range...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tire recommendations for 29'er x 2-2.25" range...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 08:14 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Can't fit through axles on the Ogre? I would be surprised. Internal rim width on the cliffhangers? That might determine how wide a tire you can run.
Old 08-16-19, 11:23 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Can't fit through axles on the Ogre?

Rear can take a thru axle of 142. It's a surly propitiatory Axle I am still getting familiar with. The front can't run TA only QA. The wheel set I just ordered is being built so that it is TA and the front is converted down to a QR. I had them put a Shutter Precision dynamo hub in it with TA convertible down to QA for an extra $90 for two reasons. One, so I am not pigeon holed into QR wheelset if I don't ultimately like being on a 29'er and want to sell off the wheelset since they cost me a bit. Two, for versatility. In the event I do like the 29'er but want to go to another bike, I don't have to worry about whether it's QR or TA.

QUOTE]Internal rim width on the cliffhangers?
25mm

That might determine how wide a tire you can run.
Anywhere from 2" to 2.5" comfortably on that rim if I remember correctly.

I ended up ordering the Schwalbe Almotion with the intent of getting on the road and doing more road miles for now. They typically run about $150 and I got them for $100 so I didn't walk away from the price alone. If I end up more local, I will get a pair of Maxxim's in the 2.3 range with some light knobs to do more local and back country riding.

The bike is sitting on a rack, fully finished, minus a wheel set which should be here in the next two weeks, but Richard at https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/ said that he might get them out to me by the end of next week.

I am now afraid that I am not going to want to take it off the rack and get any marks or dirt on it, and possibly see about selling the bike and seeing what kind of value I can get over it above what it cost me to do the build in parts. If I could get a descent price for the bike, I would actually build another one exactly the same.

If I get the wheels and don't sell the bike, I am afraid I will just leave the moment the wheels get here...

So at the current moment, Schwalbe 29 x 2.15's it is with anticipation of doing more road miles right now.

If I do stay local, then I want to get a pair of Maxxim's in the 2.3'ish range, AND I would like to get a pair of Surly E.T.'s at 2.5" also.

It's ultimately why I went with the 29'er instead of the 27.5. I have more options on tire size versatility for terrain versus what I was stuck in size on the 27.5 which was only plus size.
Old 08-17-19, 02:20 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
DanBell has the right idea. Are you going on mountain bike single-track, or gravel multi-use type bike paths? Because if you're riding a flat multi-use path, you do Not need mountain bike tires. You don't need anything close to a mountain bike tire. I personally would run the exact Schwalbe Supreme he recommended. That was my first thought too. Or get something with a Little bit of tread on the sides, but a nice smooth center tread. Then if you know you'll be spending a day on the gravel, air the tire down a little. Then when you hit the road again, top it up to your road psi. There's zero need to go pushing knobbies around for thousands of miles on the road because you might ride on a little bit of flat sand and pea gravel once in a while. And besides, those knobbies won't make it those thousands of miles. They won't last very long on the road compared to a tire meant for the road and smooth paths.

If you are talking a mostly road and path tour, but just feel more comfortable with some tread, maybe something like the Vittoria Randonneur Cross Touring? Or a Continental Travel Contact? ...if they make those tires in a high volume size.

Last edited by 3speed; 08-17-19 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-17-19, 09:32 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I personally would run the exact Schwalbe Supreme he recommended.
It only comes in 27.5 size, not 29er.
Old 08-17-19, 09:45 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SON/

Why not get a son hub from bike componets de, and a dt swiss rear hub while your at it, and your tubus racks a long as you are paying so much less to order from Germany direct?
https://www.bike-components.de/en/tu...m-Rack-p15497/

tubus Airy Titanium Rack

Item number: 15497
116.81€

Do you need Cliffhanger rims, Plans for a rim brake at some point?

Stans Flow rims at half the weight might be good. Nano Raptor wtb tires? Maybe not with almost all road.

I sometimes run a 2.1 nano and a Nineline on the front, but that is for less than half pavement.

Last edited by chrisx; 08-17-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 04:23 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
It only comes in 27.5 size, not 29er.
Well it comes in 700c, or 622 and 2" wide. 700c, or 622, is the size you would need. They probably don't market it as a "29er" because they aren't into stupid US company marketing BS. "29er" is just some crap Trek started saying to make it sound like they came out with some revolutionary new thing, to sell more stuff to the ignorant masses. There were high volume 622 tires at least as early as the start of the 90s. However, to make things even More complicated, some German companies(Schwalbe) have decided to also start calling 622 tires 28". At least that makes more sense, since most of the tires are, in fact, closer to 28" tall. It's still dumb and leads to even more needless tire sizing difficulty and confusion. https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-rea...n-supreme.html

And good to know it comes in 650b, or 584. Again with 27.5", we have a dumb US marking BS term. It makes even less sense than the 29er BS. It's not even half way between a 26" and "29er" size. It's barely bigger than a 26" tire, and much smaller than a 700c/622.

You'll probably have better luck finding tires(from quality brands like Schwalbe, Continental, Vittoria, etc) if you use their classic sizes such as 700c or 622, etc. They'll Sometimes still have crap like 29er and 27.5 for the dumb US marketing sales, but they'll Always have it posted as it's classic/original rim size designation.

This link might help sort things out, and will perhaps help you find the tires you want in the sizes you need. If you scroll ~1/3 of the way down the page, you'll find tire size conversion charts.
https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Last edited by 3speed; 08-18-19 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 11:36 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SON/

Why not get a son hub from bike componets de,

Because Son hubs are 2 x 3's the cost of a SP, and you don't get 2-3 times the life out of a Son compared to an SP. Pound for pound, I am OK with the choice on SP to save money since I am truly not going to get the extra life out of them. I have just read enough reports, stories, and folks talking about this to know that for someone trying to save costs, SP is the better way to go. If you take the same product and use it over and over again against each other, you are not going to save yourself money long term or get more out of the Son versus the SP over the course of your life. If money wasn't an issue, then I would probably have gotten a SON and didn't think about it. But money was a factor and I couldn't justify the costs when I know you are not getting 3 x's the life out of a son to justify the cost.

and a dt swiss rear hub while your at it,

DT Swiss hubs don't come in 36 hole configurations. Both wheels were built in a 36 hole configuration. If DT swiss had come in 36 hole, that is what I would of ordered. The rear wheel was a pain because it was either Shimano 105 or the next step up was a Hope hub for an extra $200. I just didn't have the extra funds with everything else bought. I originally wanted a Shimano XT hub, but that doesn't come in Thru Axle, only QR, and I only wanted a TA setup for versatility to move between bikes if wanted or needed. The TA converts down to QR, but the Ogre has a proprietary 142 x 15 TA, so I chose that with center lock brakes for the extra stability on the rear wheel, especially with weight. I can pop in a TA axle that is meant to convert to QR if I want or need. I also did this in the event I have to sell the wheel set, I don't lose value on it and can sell it to a wider audience if needed. I am not 100% the 29'er will be my bike long term, so I made decisions with back doors in the event I want to go to another bike I can get of what I have, transfer, or should be able to sell easily if needed.

and your tubus racks a long as you are paying so much less to order from Germany direct?

I did get my Tubus racks from Germany.

Do you need Cliffhanger rims, Plans for a rim brake at some point?
I don't know if I "need" but was following Alee's recommendation in that article. Wheelsets is the last thing I am getting more familiar with and more comfortable talking about just now. I was actually going to get Ryde Andra 35's originally, but those are more a European rim and not easily available over here, so why I went with the Cliffhangers.

Stans Flow rims at half the weight might be good.
I have actually been looking a lot at Stan's rims for a bit now, but I went with a custom build from prowheelbuilder.

Nano Raptor wtb tires?
Those look like good tires if I do more of a split and/or Colorado Back country. They look very similar to a lot of the Maxxis tires I am still looking at.

I have the Almotions on the way and will probably be here Monday or Tuesday. Still not 100% on them unless I know I will be doing a lot of road miles, which I know I will be. I did 50 miles today with a mix of things on my Mondial Marathons and I love them on the road, but when I was off road today, they were awful and washing out a lot under me. That's what I am afraid of with the Almotion 2.15's too without testing them yet. They are very similar to the Almotion and I don't know if going from a 700 x 40c tire to a 29 x 2.15, even though still somewhat slick, will be enough of a change that I will gain enough traction in those spots I am losing now and not care anymore.

I think on road miles I am going to be very happy with the Almotions, it's when I am off road that concerns me. I won't know until later this week when the wheel set arrives. I can still turn back the Almotions, receive them and send them back, or just keep them and still go pick up a pair of Maxxis or something else and swap them at will. I might even do that with a Surly E.T. tire just to see what 2.5" feels like.

I like the tire you pointed out but the price is steep. I will keep my eye on those.

Maybe not with almost all road.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-18-19 at 11:40 PM.