Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 02-13-20, 01:10 PM
NHmtb

Bikes: '01 Klein Quantum, '91 GT Zaskar, '70s Di Lorenzo, '74 Gitane Champion du Monde, '50s Steyr Klunker, Cannondale Singlespeed

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
blamester It really is. It was my first time riding an Aelle frame, but I found it quite pleasant. The Sachs Rival groupset is also kind of quirky and pleasant in a '90s way that reminds me of some of my cars in high school
Old 02-16-20, 07:23 AM
gilesa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
From last summer ...

This was literally saved from the dump. I was riding past a skip on a street near home when I noticed something. Internal conversation:

Look, an old bike, I should take a look.
YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER OLD WRECK!
... but, Reynolds sticker, I think.

So back I went and found Reynolds, Campagnolo, Gipiemme, Stronglight, Mavic, Sakae, SRAM and Continental.
I pumped up the tyres and found everything in good order. It seems to ride very nicely, but is too small.
It may have a grandson or great-nephew in prospect, but first the paintwork needs attention.
Not just rust, but flaking everywhere. Perhaps a repaint with chemically-incompatible paint.

Last edited by gilesa; 02-16-20 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Remove rogue line breaks.
Old 02-16-20, 05:28 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I've been wanting a nice '80s touring bike for a while now and recently found one of the rarest. I must have known these existed but don't recall ever seeing one until the Worlds in Richmond in '15 when I spotted one on a car rack. It's Nishiki Cresta GT in very good mostly original condition, a nice find. It's silver with red panel, triple bottle bosses, rack and lowrider braze-ons and sealed hubs. It's a 15-speed but it looks like a wider freewheel will fit. It has 27" wheels (40H rear) and my least favorite Dia Compe cantilever brakes, the 981s that might not permit me to convert to 700C wheels. I'll probably just keep it original and ride it before changing anything but it might kill me to ride with downtube shifters again after riding barcons since the late '70s. Anyway, I just love the look of tourers from that era and am very glad to have found this one. I'm hoping it's a stable rider with none of the loaded-with-four-panniers shimmy on descents I've found to occur on some other touring bikes I've owned.

I swore I'd never buy a 25" frame again but I can straddle it comfortably so thought I'd give it a shot. Guy's ad said 62cm C-to-C.

Everyone's favorite oddball derailleur. 90 PSI Kenda gumwalls with lots of life yet. I'll ride 'em unless they prove to be terrible tires.

Room for three bottle cages. The middle and small rings are the original Sugino Oval Tech but the large is round.

Randonneur bars with the slightest upward sweep I've ever seen. Hard to tell at all. I got another inch rise out of the stem, which should be enough.

Original translucent red housing slightly faded.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-18-20, 10:58 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
For whatever reason, I am more and more interested in the beat up, higher end models. Picked up this incomplete Raleigh International off FB marketplace. Wish it had the saddle and seat post. Campy crankset, wheels, FD, HS, shift levers and pedals. Cyclone GT RD.

Rough, rough, rough. It will get the OA treatment when I get home. Not my size, so the frame will be up for adoption later.

1968 Raleigh International by wrk101, on Flickr

Old 02-18-20, 11:03 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
My most recent Raleigh project started with this frameset from the co-op. Of course, everything was stuck. Go figure...Lots of rust. My perfect project..

Raleigh Gran Sport by wrk101, on Flickr

1973 Raleigh Gran Sport by wrk101, on Flickr
Old 02-18-20, 11:17 AM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
For whatever reason, I am more and more interested in the beat up, higher end models. Picked up this incomplete Raleigh International off FB marketplace. Wish it had the saddle and seat post. Campy crankset, wheels, FD, HS, shift levers and pedals. Cyclone GT RD.

Rough, rough, rough. It will get the OA treatment when I get home. Not my size, so the frame will be up for adoption later.

I’m the same way. I’ll pick up some pretty nasty projects, but I like to look past the rough edges to get a nice piece of bike history. I am picking up a 73-76 Raleigh Super Course MK II tonight. Pictures were terrible, but that’s how we get the deals.
Old 02-18-20, 10:01 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I picked up this Gary Fisher Marlin last summer for free from a woman that was going to toss it. It needed a bit of work. The bottom bracket was shot, the rear derailleur cable adjuster was broke off in the derailleur, cables were rusted and frayed, the saddle was shot, the grips were shot, the fork was bad and it was pretty dirty and greasy. I replaced all the bad parts with parts bin parts. Total investment $0. I will be passing it on to someone else since it is too small for me and mountain bikes aren't really my thing. It turned out pretty well.

Old 02-19-20, 04:02 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Universal Brakes

Some Mod. 125 calipers w/light "gold" anodizing. They must be old; still using stamped logos. Picked from the bike shop's "junk" drawer; even the manager wondered what they were doing in the "budget bin"; too late!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20200219_045716.jpg (944.7 KB, 918 views)
Old 02-19-20, 10:04 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
^^ HPL

Mod 125 were early 80’s. Nice gold anodizing. I pulled a complete set off of my “Italian” Dawes.
Old 02-19-20, 12:14 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
^^ HPL

Mod 125 were early 80’s. Nice gold anodizing. I pulled a complete set off of my “Italian” Dawes.
Thanks for the info; only other Universals I have are very early Mod.51 and 39. I thought the 125s were used in the 70s, but they're fine for the price; $15.
Hope you are doing well; I'm travelling north this March; might do a detour out your way. I'd give notice if I do.
Old 02-19-20, 01:28 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Lyotard and Gian Robert

More scavenging: Lyotard "Marcel Berthet" pedals and Gian Robert mechs from late '50s early '60s. I have no idea what to use the Gian Robert stuff for, but the pedals are English thread and will make a great addition for the Lygie build which is still lacking many components. The rear mechs show 13-32 range, which is respectable if true. Mystery as to performance of the Gian Robert parts are concerned.Does anyone have any road experience with these units?
FD cage had been cut to facilitate chain and/or derailleur removal.
Attached Images
IMG_20200218_154423.jpg (746.3 KB, 1242 views)
IMG_20200218_165453.jpg (1.09 MB, 1250 views)

Last edited by HPL; 02-20-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 07:38 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

I was able to pick this up this week. 1974 Super Course MKII. A little rough, but I’ve cleaned up worse. Not sure I can save the saddle, it’s pretty dry.

Likes For brandenjs:
Old 02-21-20, 11:34 AM
JTSpeedDemon

Bikes: Kent Rollin' Thunder 10-spd/overdrive

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Well, I guess this fits here.
I've posted about it already elsewhere, but a few days ago I picked up a mostly complete, solid late 80s/early 90s Kent Rollin' Thunder.
Not very exotic or historically significant, but it's got really cool graphics, plus 10 speeds! It says it has overdrive, but I only see enough gears for 10 speeds. Maybe an internal hub overdrive??? At any rate, BECAUSE it's not too exotic, most generic, cheaper parts will fit! That's great, since I'm on a tight budget.
The best part is that it was only $5!
It's also a great upgrade to my Walmart Schwinn BMX, plus I saved it from being scrapped!

Old 02-24-20, 09:48 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

My 23" ladies' Sports came from the same shop. I used to call on the place in my repping days. At the time (late '80s) it was the longest established original family-owned bike shop in the country.
Originally Posted by brandenjs
I was able to pick this up this week. 1974 Super Course MKII. A little rough, but I’ve cleaned up worse. Not sure I can save the saddle, it’s pretty dry.

Old 02-25-20, 04:31 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Originally Posted by thumpism
My 23" ladies' Sports came from the same shop. I used to call on the place in my repping days. At the time (late '80s) it was the longest established original family-owned bike shop in the country.
That’s really cool. I wonder if I could take it back in for some warranty work??
Old 02-25-20, 04:59 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by brandenjs
That’s really cool. I wonder if I could take it back in for some warranty work??
I'm sure they'd be happy to see you but I believe the shop is out of business. Pearl was the daughter of the founder, grew up in the shop, and she was in her '80s when I knew her. Don't know if the place sold or if it died with her. Her grown son seemed completely uninterested in the place the one time I met him and I'm sure the real estate on Wisconsin Avenue was worth a freakin' fortune even back then. I named my bike Pearl after her. To keep things relevant, I actually did rescue this one from the curb on trash day in Wake Forest NC about 20 years ago.

Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-26-20, 02:09 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

A rare "thrift store" find; only because this enterprising business chose to advertise the item on CL, otherwise I'd have never have looked for them.

A great pair of lace-up shoes, barely used (2 times maybe) and in my size. I don't think there are many serious cyclists looking for this type of item in a "repurpose" shop, but there they were. I do not like Velcro strap and/or ratcheting strap shoes so these are a godsend. I have no idea when they were made, and/or if they are still manufactured, but probably a fairly expensive shoe when purchased new; all leather vented upper with a more than adequate tread. $20, MT-22 model.

One of my parts suppliers needing to move out of their shop gifted me a nice pair of early 105 pedals he knew I to needed for a rebuild. It pays to put a "bug" in someone's ear occasionally.
Attached Images
IMG_20200225_115432.jpg (1.51 MB, 1203 views)
Old 02-26-20, 08:04 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
A rare "thrift store" find; only because this enterprising business chose to advertise the item on CL, otherwise I'd have never have looked for them.

A great pair of lace-up shoes, barely used (2 times maybe) and in my size. I don't think there are many serious cyclists looking for this type of item in a "repurpose" shop, but there they were. I do not like Velcro strap and/or ratcheting strap shoes so these are a godsend. I have no idea when they were made, and/or if they are still manufactured, but probably a fairly expensive shoe when purchased new; all leather vented upper with a more than adequate tread. $20, MT-22 model.

One of my parts suppliers needing to move out of their shop gifted me a nice pair of early 105 pedals he knew I to needed for a rebuild. It pays to put a "bug" in someone's ear occasionally.
I have those, they are great shoes. I brought them home with my Fuji in 2014. They're relegated to backup duty now, but I just had them on yesterday in fact. They are very comfy.
Old 03-06-20, 02:27 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Very dirty Frenchie...

So I found something I've been looking for: a green Peugeot PFN-10. It was about as dirty as any bike I've ever seen--- the "before" picture doesn't do justice to the quantity of grime on this bike! It's a testament to the Peugeot paint that it still looks pretty good in that photo.....:

After two thorough baths with dish soap and a hose, plus removing the rack and the big reflector brackets.....(man those things scratch paint!).. plus adding new bar tape and a Brooks I had sitting waiting for the right bike.....:

I'm pretty happy--- the bike was dirty but not neglected: nearly new Conti Gatorskins, newish cables, grease on the seat post, etc. After bit of effort to true and retention the original Mavic rims.....it rides great! I'll get around to repacking all the bearings, but for now I just like to look at the green glow of this cool bike...
Likes For no67el:
Old 03-06-20, 03:27 PM
CVB

Bikes: n+1-1+1+1-1+1-1+1-1+1-1+1+1-1...

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I have the same bike, acquired in the same manner! Yes, the gold rims are OEM. 1984. https://labibleduvelocataloguesfuji....fuji-1984.html
Old 03-06-20, 04:37 PM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
So I found something I've been looking for: a green Peugeot PFN-10. It was about as dirty as any bike I've ever seen--- the "before" picture doesn't do justice to the quantity of grime on this bike! It's a testament to the Peugeot paint that it still looks pretty good in that photo.....:

After two thorough baths with dish soap and a hose, plus removing the rack and the big reflector brackets.....(man those things scratch paint!).. plus adding new bar tape and a Brooks I had sitting waiting for the right bike.....:

I'm pretty happy--- the bike was dirty but not neglected: nearly new Conti Gatorskins, newish cables, grease on the seat post, etc. After bit of effort to true and retention the original Mavic rims.....it rides great! I'll get around to repacking all the bearings, but for now I just like to look at the green glow of this cool bike...
I like that a lot.
Old 03-08-20, 06:54 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Listed just as "bike for sale" at $70, decals are worn but this is unmistakably an old Shogun Prarie Breaker Team Issue mtb, basic top-end Japanese mountain bike with a Tange Prestige frame but I love the paint job and the hellenic stays. Might try a weight weenie project on this.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 03-09-20, 07:09 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Free. I fixed a ladies bike for riding this spring and when she came to pick it up, this was in the back of her car. Said do what you want with it. 1989 Ross thing. 3speed Shimano hub and plenty of steel. To bad a riding lawnmower took out the fork.

I will harvest some parts and let the scraper haul the carcass away.

Old 03-09-20, 10:42 PM
Ottomotion

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Is that cracked or just bent? If bent I would give it a chance in a bench vice. Wrap it with some sort of material so as to not scratch it all up. I bet you can get it pretty darn straight...

Brass wool and your favorite polish on all the chrome bits and I bet the thing looks like new.
Old 03-10-20, 09:52 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

^ What he said. I prefer Sturmey hubs but that's a pretty nifty little bike and it should not take much to fix it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.