Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New VP Vice pedals wreck threads on new Rene Herse crank

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-18-20, 09:51 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Brand new pedals, brand new crank. The pedals were pretty difficult to install and by the end there were chips of aluminum getting pushed out the other side.

Yes, I thoroughly greased the threads. No, they're not cross-threaded. Both pedals did the same thing. I don't remember this happening years ago when I installed Shimano pedals on a new Rene Herse crank. I even tried softening the rough edges of the pedal threads with a Dremel cut-off wheel, but that didn't seem to help.

I think I'm going to order some crank taps and try making a pedal thread "die" out of an old steel crank arm to prevent something like this from happening again. I just hope I didn't ruin the crank... I needed the bike and didn't have another good option at the time. Now I'm afraid to remove the pedals.
Old 05-18-20, 10:23 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26246 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...I'm not familiar with those pedals, and I've never had the disposable cash to buy a Rene Herse crank set. But given your description, I too, would leave the pedals alone in place if the pedal axles are at straight right angles to the crank arms. But to put your mind at more ease, if there is some mysterious damage that has occurred because of this incident, your cranks are not ruined. There's a simple solution using special boring and rethreading tool, that you use to install a threaded insert (on each side, R + L), and that fixes them right back up. The tool and six sets of inserts is far cheaper than the original price of your crank. Some local shops have them, but not all of them.

If you have an issue later on, and you can't either buy the tool and threadserts or can't find one locally, let me know. But the whole back and forth shipping will cost way more than just finding someone local to do it.
Old 05-18-20, 10:59 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Has anyone else ever had this happen? Brand new pedals, brand new crank. The pedals were pretty difficult to install and by the end there were chips of aluminum getting pushed out the other side.

Yes, I thoroughly greased the threads. No, they're not cross-threaded. Both pedals did the same thing. I don't remember this happening years ago when I installed Shimano pedals on a new Rene Herse crank. I even tried softening the rough edges of the pedal threads with a Dremel cut-off wheel, but that didn't seem to help.

I think I'm going to order some crank taps and try making a pedal thread "die" out of an old steel crank arm to prevent something like this from happening again. I just hope I didn't ruin the crank... I needed the bike and didn't have another good option at the time. Now I'm afraid to remove the pedals.
Guessing between the two--I'd bet the problem was predominantly the pedal threads. My guess is it's fine. If you ever messed up the threads on a super expensive crank like that, the upside is that a Herse crank is solid aluminum so you could use a helicoil kit on it if you somehow really damaged the threads.
Old 05-18-20, 11:00 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Might the pedals have had the old 14 mm x 1.25 mm French threads? Did you swap the pedals left for right?
Old 05-18-20, 12:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Might the pedals have had the old 14 mm x 1.25 mm French threads? Did you swap the pedals left for right?
Spiky MTB pedals with French threads?

I suspect that this is some combination of a small crank ID or large pedal OD in order to prevent a loose fit. I have a virgin set of RH cranks downstairs -- I could try measuring the bore.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-18-20, 12:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

I suspect that this is some combination of a small crank ID or large pedal OD in order to prevent a loose fit. I have a virgin set of RH cranks downstairs -- I could try measuring the bore.
That would be my guess. I'll bet there's no damage and pedals will now thread in easily to the crank.
Old 05-18-20, 12:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
That would be my guess. I'll bet there's no damage and pedals will now thread in easily to the crank.
Okay, I forgot that my digital calipers have a dead battery. So I tried threading on one of my known-good Shimano A600 pedals -- from the back side of the crank, just in case. It presented no unusual resistance, but I saw some very fine aluminum shavings, too. I think RH is erring on the side of giving us the maximum amount of beef to start with since the crank threads are bound to wear, but those VP pedals might still have sharp or excessively-tall threads for the same reason.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-18-20 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-18-20, 12:42 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Spiky MTB pedals with French threads?

I misspoke, I meant to say French-threaded cranks.
Old 05-18-20, 12:46 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I misspoke, I meant to say French-threaded cranks.
Good question. No, these are the new-production version. Definitely standard 9/16".