Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New specialized diverge evo flat bar :)

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-29-20, 03:59 PM
leo95se

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

hot off the presses!
just got the new comp model.
Definitely an interesting bike. I hope this is the right forum to post!

In the small size. As equipped, it weighs 23lbs. After 20mins of riding it seems to be a blend of a road geometry mixed with hybrid. I don’t have enough hard tail experience to know how it compares to that sector. With the more meaty than expected tires it has no problem going through dirt and grass. Gearing seems fine in its 11-42 form. Very easy up 9% paved inclines and adequate for the same on a downhill.

Again, 20 mins in. Excited to see if this fits my bill for a go between ride that I can take anywhere!

happy to answer questions since I know it’s a new model, and happy for advice as well

Likes For leo95se:
Old 07-30-20, 07:30 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
good looking bike.
Old 07-30-20, 07:01 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Interested to see how this compares to early mountain bikes (properly ATBs back then). 80's? 90's?
Old 07-30-20, 07:05 PM
leo95se

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Interested to see how this compares to early mountain bikes (properly ATBs back then). 80's? 90's?
great question. I had a trek 950 back in the day. Even down to the color, this is surprisingly similar. It’s lighter, more nimble, but similar dynamics. the 1x drivetrain is more well rounded than the shimano 3x on the trek. But, maybe this is a sign those ATBs are making a comeback?
Old 07-30-20, 09:43 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Very cool-looking bike. I love the idea of flat-bar gravel bikes, and it does seem to be sort of a trendy concept currently, even in the more boutique world. What I would love to see is these kind of bikes make into the hands of more folks just getting into riding who usually get sold hybrids/entry-level hardtails with crappy suspension forks they really don't need. My teenage son has such a hardtail, and it weighs a ton, and he's only riding it around on pavement for the most part. But I couldn't talk him out of having that suspension fork on the front, and now he keeps it locked out most of the time!

Last edited by pbass; 07-30-20 at 10:45 PM.
Likes For pbass:
Old 08-02-20, 07:08 PM
leo95se

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pbass
Very cool-looking bike. I love the idea of flat-bar gravel bikes, and it does seem to be sort of a trendy concept currently, even in the more boutique world. What I would love to see is these kind of bikes make into the hands of more folks just getting into riding who usually get sold hybrids/entry-level hardtails with crappy suspension forks they really don't need. My teenage son has such a hardtail, and it weighs a ton, and he's only riding it around on pavement for the most part. But I couldn't talk him out of having that suspension fork on the front, and now he keeps it locked out most of the time!
whats interesting about this bike are the tires. I agree with you and would have expected something more road compliant but the tires are pretty nobby. Needless to say, I will be testing those boundaries ASAP.
Old 08-11-20, 06:34 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Agreed, Giant Escape is a nice hybrid.