Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Choosing my first E bike, need advice

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 09-07-21, 12:04 PM
Whatsthatman12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I finally decided to buy a E bike after some test rides, really felt it was like the first time driving a Tesla. After much research I am stuck between choosing a small reputable brand with questionable future support on battery, or really high priced highly reputable brand.

So here are the two brands I am considering, different pricing, different target market money wise, similar bike but completely different set up... Here are the pros and cons please help me understand...

1) Blix Vika+ 2020 - Folding electric bike, rode beautifully, throttle/bigger tires all that, plus 500w motor, even though it's a cheaper Chinese brand Shengyi... on sales $1299, seemingly very reputable, was even seem at eRyde store in LA as a test center.... less bulky and less weight around 50lb, so slimmer than say Rad Mini4 which was a monster of a bike....Vika+ is very nice to look at, classy. So all check out...but it's not a bike with a big community, I am very concerned if I need a new battery 10 years from now it may not be able to obtain. Their customer service told me current price is $599 for a battery...didn't answer me whether they will support it years down the road. I am concern this is going to be a disposable after say 5 to 6 years of regular use....price is great I like that

2) Brompton Electric - $3850 before taxes! No throttle...no particularly fast, capped out at 16mph, assist only, external bag battery....handlebar is also a bit low, but they told me the H bar is better for me, so i can sit up more....but still a more sporty feel then the total comfort of the Vika bike.... oh my impression is wow beautifully made, folds into tiny size, ride is actually not bad at all, fun really.. speed wise fast enough...old school no throttle but set up as a pure bike to focus on riding rather be distracted with all the moped like qualities of more conventional e bikes....I actually really really like it. Brompton has a huge community, a lot of accessories, I am virtually certain support will be there 20 years from now.... but it's a bit more limited bike for smooth pavement, with smaller 16 inch wheels vs 20inch on the Vika....and lastly price is quite high even though a lot of value packed in...Also just a 250w motor, a good one in house designed...highest level assist is pretty good

My budget I can go both ways.... I am not split on this one....slightly leaning toward Blix Vika+, but Brompton is the Rolls here, please let me know what you recommend. Is Brompton really worth it? If I keep it in tip top condition, say 10 years from now, what kind of resale can I expect? 50%? I know Vika bike won't have any resale value in 5 years, I'd be lucky if battery is still working, maybe $200 .....
Old 09-07-21, 05:42 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Bromptom is a better folding bike, but that bag, and FWD. There's also a backstory on bikes that took off on their own, firmware recalls, and problems with Brompton trying to make a sophisticated pedal assist system. Blix is a better ebike,
Old 09-08-21, 11:09 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Do you need it to be a folding bike?
What type of riding is this for?

For example, I commute on my bike and my conventional bike is for weekends. I ride a home built using a TSDZ02 motor. However, I have just ordered a Priority Current. It has some features that my current bike lacks.
Old 09-08-21, 11:45 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
We could really use some more info..

For one thing, if you are in England or the EU, if the Blix isn't limited to about 16 mph, it could get confiscated.

I'd suggest looking at more brands, there's a lot to choose from. Test ride a Gazelle or a Trek Verve.

Your bike shop should be able to tell you if the battery on a bike is standard or proprietary. We don't discuss battery quality here, but we should, it's important.

Old 09-08-21, 11:51 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by late
For one thing, if you are in England or the EU, if the Blix isn't limited to about 16 mph, it could get confiscated.
Do they also confiscate cars that CAN go faster than the speed limit?

Do they also confiscate human-powered bikes that DO go faster than the speed limit?
Old 09-08-21, 12:27 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting

Do they also confiscate human-powered bikes that DO go faster than the speed limit?
While that seems like a good point, we have to deal with what is, not what should be. We can make efforts to change the "what is" side of the equation. However, in the end it is the side that we have to live in.
Old 09-08-21, 12:44 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting

I don't like it, but there it is, and if you're over there and considering an ebike, you should be aware of it.

Ebikes sales over there have gone through the roof. Which means there will be enough of them to have political clout. So just maybe, the day will come when there will be posted speed limits instead of that goofy limiter.
Old 09-09-21, 05:33 PM
klevin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like another newcomer that didn't hear what he wanted, so never to be heard from again. How can we ever help someone who lists two very different bikes, and doesn't even tell us their use case?
Old 09-09-21, 08:49 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
By the way, it's unrealistic to expect an ebike to last 10 years, although I have two with motors/electronics and batteries that are seven years old. They say batteries lose half their charge in that time, but since I only ride those bikes long enough to use about half the original charge, it's good,
Old 09-09-21, 09:03 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
By the way, it's unrealistic to expect an ebike to last 10 years, although I have two with motors/electronics and batteries that are seven years old. They say batteries lose half their charge in that time, but since I only ride those bikes long enough to use about half the original charge, it's good,
yes though bosch may still ahve a battery after that long. but they would be the only company.
Old 09-10-21, 09:17 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I'd go with the bike that fits him the best. Comfort. Who own's their ebike for 10 years? By then the battery and motor technology will be better.