Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to do without a torque wrench?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to do without a torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 03:47 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
One thing I don't believe has been mentioned, is that in instances where there are more than 1 bolt holding things together (stem, handlebars, chainrings, etc) is to bring them up to torque evenly to distribute the load well by following a sequence where the next bolt you tighten is as opposite as possible to the bolt just tightened. For instance for a 4 bolt handlebar clamp I would torque in the following order:
1 3

4 2
bringing them all up to finger tight first, then using the short and long ends of an allen wrench to tighten them successively. What you will most likely observe at each stage is that if I get bolt one finger tight, then finger tighten 2, 3, and 4, bolt 1 will no longer be finger tight, then you tighten bolt 1 back to finger tight and bolts 2, 3 and 4 will be a little loose. You want to repeat at each stage of tightness to ensure all of the bolts are distributing the clamping pressure evenly.
Likes For imakecircles:
Old 10-16-21, 07:44 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
The thing about the youtube videos is they can't teach you experience or how to hold and use a tool.
Go slowly. If it takes a bit longer to do so what.

If you think about it stripping that bolt is ridiculous because you could have tested it before you stripped it by seeing does it hold.
And torque wrenchs are not the solution to every stripped bolt because it could be the installation is wrong in the first place. So you end up stripping the bolt anyway.
Go slowly. Mechanics are not born they learn.
And everyone messed up at some stage
very wise words.
we've all busted bolts and made mistakes, that's how one learns, and as you say, YouTube vids can be a good resource, but the world isn't computer world of bits and bytes and one has to learn hands on.
I find lots of people I know who are computer savvy don't realize this and think it's like finding the right menu and whatnot and it will be easy like clicking a mouse.

As you rightly said, we all need to learn.