Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Most breathable bike rainwear?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-21, 12:18 PM
irpheus
Explorer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All - greetings ,

I am considering retiring my car and getting back to cycling some more. However, a couple of years ago when I biked more frequently I remember that the then "better" bike rainwear actually was not that breathable - and I often ended up being quite sweaty/wet after a bike drive in the rain.

So I wonder if things have gotten better today - & also what is considered the current "98% best" bike rainwear in terms of breathability (& also durability)? When I say "98% best" I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the very best bike wear may be quite costly - I am looking for a very-close-to-best but also less costly solution ...

Any suggestions / concensus on what such rainwear would be? I'd appreciate your experiences ...

Cheers & thanks - Jesper
Old 10-22-21, 12:22 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Goretex Shakedry, absolutely amazing!
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 10-22-21, 12:28 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
100% waterproof and 100% breathable doesn't exist, the isn't a fabric out there that can keep water out and let sweat out at the same time...You have a choice, you can either accept getting wet with rain or getting soaked with sweat... I don't care what they advertise out there or how expensive it is, the truth is that any intense physical activity will overcome the breathability of the fabric and you will end up wet with your own sweat.
Old 10-22-21, 12:35 PM
irpheus
Explorer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Atlas Shrugged: Thanks for your input ... I will check it out!
Old 10-22-21, 12:55 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I agree with wolfchild. Unless you're riding at a very easy pace, you're going to sweat faster than the breathable fabric will "breathe". For warm weather, just get wet ("technical" fabrics will absorb less water, which has other advantages, but you'll still be wet). For cool/cold weather, focus on blocking the wind to keep the sweat/rain mixture from evaporating and chilling you.

For hiking during warm weather, it is just barely possible for breathable fabrics to work, if you're not hiking too hard. IME, if it's much above 70°F or if my HR climbs into the aerobic zone or above, breathable fabrics cannot keep up with sweat production.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 10-22-21, 12:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
This has gotta be the right answer, as I have read nothing but amazingly positive info about this stuff.
Old 10-22-21, 01:23 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
If there is a bit of rain/snow and a lot of cold, the Castelli RoS line-up is excellent. Too bad it is so expensive, but consider getting one jacket in this line-up. I have the Alpha RoS.

Here is a review from someone who actually used it and is not just repeating the marketing points: https://www.teknecycling.com/collect...a-ros-2-jacket.

I used to commute in downpours in my "youth", but not doing that any more..
Old 10-22-21, 01:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I agree with wolfchild. Unless you're riding at a very easy pace, you're going to sweat faster than the breathable fabric will "breathe". For warm weather, just get wet ("technical" fabrics will absorb less water, which has other advantages, but you'll still be wet). For cool/cold weather, focus on blocking the wind to keep the sweat/rain mixture from evaporating and chilling you.
+2. Other than during relatively short commutes, I am usually wearing rain gear when I am touring and thus on the bike for often long periods. If it's cold/cool out and I am working at moderate level or above, I count on my rain gear to keep me warm not warm and dry by the gear "breathing."
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-22-21, 01:31 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
100% waterproof and 100% breathable doesn't exist, the isn't a fabric out there that can keep water out and let sweat out at the same time...You have a choice, you can either accept getting wet with rain or getting soaked with sweat... I don't care what they advertise out there or how expensive it is, the truth is that any intense physical activity will overcome the breathability of the fabric and you will end up wet with your own sweat.
When fact and truth intersect.
Old 10-22-21, 01:58 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Agreed.

I have a cycling shakedry jacket and also one for backpacking.

Nothing else comes close.
Old 10-22-21, 02:05 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
I have used a rain cape or as some call it a bicyclists rain poncho. I also wear the waterproof rain covers for my shoes.
Likes For Rick:
Old 10-22-21, 02:14 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Agree w/several others- you cant be windproof & breathable at the same time. Disclaimer: I have never worn gore or any other expen$ive fabric.
Im looking for something that has a windproof front only, w/breathable in the back. I have a jacket that matches that description, but the back/breathable is so heavy it may as well be windproof. I only wear it @ 30degF or below.
Old 10-22-21, 02:58 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
My go to autumn/winter rainwear is either one of the better jackets from Decathlon, from their Van Rysel brand of budget premium stuff which is very well sized and tailored, or the Castelli Perfetto ROS which is made out of somewhat better materials but while width and tightness is perfect I wish it extended a bit further down. That said neither is completely waterproof. If it is really pouring and really cold I add a packable rain jacket over all of it. As long as I dress that I'm cold at the start of the ride, the sweating isn't a big issue.

If it's really warm and raining I just don't care and wear summer kit with maybe a water resistant gilet and simply get wet 🤷 There's no winning move to stay dry when it's both warm and raining.

Castelli have also made some sort of Shakedry based packable rain jacket but it's obscenely expensive even for my tastes.
Old 10-23-21, 07:54 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
My best rain jacket hands down is my camo Kuiu Chugach packable, stretchable, hunting jacket.

For obvious reasons I don't wear it biking...

Last edited by Toadmeister; 10-23-21 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-23-21, 08:24 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I started using DIY rain capes a few years ago. Not as dry as a rain jacket, but much cooler and more comfortable (for me). I commuted in bike clothes and changed at work, so a little wetness didn't matter.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-23-21, 08:45 AM
irpheus
Explorer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi again - wow, so many replies and experiences - thanks all ;-)

I think I will just consider your suggestions for rainwear - as well as my own specific needs - and see if I can find a rainwear that is appropriate both in terms of functionality and cost. As it is I already have some Goretex "rainwear trousers" that have positively surprised me in terms of breathability (not for biking, though) so I have a slight preference here.

Thanks again for your feedbacks & have a good day wherever you may be!

Cheers - Jesper
Old 10-23-21, 08:48 AM
GhostRider62

My first goretex jacket was 40 years ago, they have come a long long way.

With a proper baselayer, I do not get wet inside Gore Shakedry UNLESS I am climbing slowly on a long climb but let's be honest, we'd be sweating in our birthday suit on an extended climb.

I was backpacking in the Smokes this spring and it was pouring and sleeting. Two younger and stronger thruhikers (Triple Crowners at that) got hypothermic. I survived much better in my shakedry. Moisture control is much more difficult hiking than bicycling. Shakedry is fragile and expensive and not for everyone.

I am amazed when people say nothing will keep you dry and breath and yet in the same breath admit that they have not used any of these new fabrics. We have come a long way since waxed cotton.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-23-21, 09:56 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I have both a Shakedry jacket and Shakedry cap. I've gotten the jacket to have a thin layer of moisture on the inside, never more. Bought the cap recently and first wore it on my commute when the forecast called for rain that never fell. When I took it off, it was absolutely dry. When I've worn fabric caps (polyester, never cotton) they have been completely soaked from sweat at the end of the same commute.

The downside of the Shakedry tech is that it isn't reinforced for wear and tear, so high friction contact points are not good applications for it. That and it can be very expensive if you don't find it on sale -- when it is on sale, it's only somewhat expensive.
Likes For surak:
Old 10-23-21, 11:01 AM
irpheus
Explorer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@GhostRider62 & surak: I did some searching on the shakedry but it seems there are more models .. Might you have a suggestion for a/some models that are accessible to get/buy - maybe also occasionally on sale? In a first round I would need a jacket & bike trousers (if available?) ...

Cheers, Jesper
Likes For irpheus:
Old 10-23-21, 11:11 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
The 7mesh Oro jacket - found here: https://7mesh.com/mens-oro-jacket

Expensive as all get out, but damn. Worth every penny.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 10-23-21, 11:44 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
There really is no such thing as "breathable rainwear". However, if you look at it another way, there is at least one solution to the stated problems. If you ask what is the most ventilating garment that keeps you dry while riding in the rain, my answer is a combination of a hood-less rain cape, a helmet cover and effective fenders on the bicycle. That combo provides all the rain protection I need. The cape is waterproof but open enough to get ventilation.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 10-23-21, 12:02 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by irpheus
@GhostRider62 & surak: I did some searching on the shakedry but it seems there are more models .. Might you have a suggestion for a/some models that are accessible to get/buy - maybe also occasionally on sale? In a first round I would need a jacket & bike trousers (if available?) ...

Cheers, Jesper
Here are some reviews. I have the C7 cycling and Montbell shakedry for backpacking. I don't follow the sales very closely, sorry about that.

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...-rain-jackets/
Old 10-23-21, 12:07 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by irpheus
@GhostRider62 & surak: I did some searching on the shakedry but it seems there are more models .. Might you have a suggestion for a/some models that are accessible to get/buy - maybe also occasionally on sale?
This thread has also got me looking at shakedry, my current windbreaker is 30+ years old so I figure I deserve a new one. The Catstelli Idro 2 is on sale at Amazon for $240 or so .. could not find anything cheaper that was a quality brand. https://www.amazon.com/Castelli-Idro...78H?th=1&psc=1. Unfortunately these newer fabrics are primo $$.
Old 10-23-21, 12:46 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Birthday suit?
gm
Old 10-23-21, 04:26 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Agreed.

I have a cycling shakedry jacket and also one for backpacking.

Nothing else comes close.
They advertise the Goretex Shakedry jacket as ‘totally windproof’
What exactly does that mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.