Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Need help picking a lwb for riding the pch

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 12:31 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few years back I toured the west on my tour easy and loved it. I'm kicking around the idea of touring the pch in the spring and I need to buy another recumbent. I'm looking to stay with a lwb, I'd like disc brakes and wheels capable of taking pretty large tires. 2.0" would be ideal.

My only complaints about my TE were the side pull brakes were weak loaded on the mountains of utah. The front 20" tire was a weird size and I had to get one mailed to me when I tore a sidewall. I'm thinking dual 26" wheels would be nice or at least the more common 20" front tire.

I'm open to suggestions. It looks like rans sells a few lwb disc brake bikes but I'd like to see what some of my other options are.

Old 08-02-21, 01:13 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Budget?
Old 08-02-21, 01:46 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Domromer
A few years back I toured the west on my tour easy and loved it. I'm kicking around the idea of touring the pch in the spring and I need to buy another recumbent. I'm looking to stay with a lwb, I'd like disc brakes and wheels capable of taking pretty large tires. 2.0" would be ideal.

My only complaints about my TE were the side pull brakes were weak loaded on the mountains of utah. The front 20" tire was a weird size and I had to get one mailed to me when I tore a sidewall. I'm thinking dual 26" wheels would be nice or at least the more common 20" front tire.

I'm open to suggestions. It looks like rans sells a few lwb disc brake bikes but I'd like to see what some of my other options are.

I have a RANS Stratus LE. It is problem free, and I really recommend it. The latest ones have disc brakes.
Old 08-03-21, 08:53 AM
JGaerlan

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
I have a Rans Stratus XP dual 26"i got for $400 fr craigslist. Came equipped with disk tabs front and rear. The widest tire I can put on this vintage is about 1.75". Installed an 11/46 cassette in the back. Any bigger, the chain touches the chainstays. I only use the 30T/42 Ring - gives me a low of 16 gear inches and high 99 gear inches.

Hope you find one for your tour.
Likes For JGaerlan:
Old 08-03-21, 01:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
For a time before the death of Gardner Martin, EasyRacers sold an "SS" (SuperSport) version with 622/451 wheels, and also a cross country version with 559/406 wheels. Sorry I can't remember the designation. So they're out there. Also, RANS sold several LWB models with 559/406 wheels, as well as dual-559. V-brakes would be a world better than those U-brakes on the old TourEasys; so you might not need to convert to discs.
Old 08-05-21, 05:12 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
I think the Stratus LE is your best bet. Accepts the widest tires with room left for fenders, easy to mount an Ibera rear disc rack too. RANS is selling off XL frames of that model with disc tabs so if you’re tall you could build one up to your desired specifications (which is what I’m doing right now.) N.b.: There are no stops on the left side for disc brake cables/housing, so you’d have to run a monolithic line from the levers to the rear caliper and attach with something like these cable ties. No big deal as it’s actually recommended to install discs without breaks in the housing. And I’d recommend TRP Spykes.

Also T-Cycle’s Easy Reacher under seat rack for the Stratus’ 1.5” main tube is OOS right now, no idea when they might become available again (think I got the last one they had in the shop, sorry!)

Last edited by andychrist; 08-05-21 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-05-21, 05:22 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Perhaps a Bacchetta Bella?

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
For a time before the death of Gardner Martin, EasyRacers sold ... a cross country version with 559/406 wheels.
Ah, like a Sun Seeker EZ-Sport CX.
Old 08-07-21, 03:02 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Ah, like a Sun Seeker EZ-Sport CX.
No, it was an actual TourEasy. A height-challenged woman in my club got one. I think the designation was "EX". It might be easier to find a RANS though. The EZ-Sport was made by Sun (which became Sun Seeker) under license to EasyRacers. Completely different bike.
Old 08-09-21, 02:58 AM
Palmer

Bikes: Dawes Double Blue, Vision R-42 SWB, Bacchetta Giro, Lemond Maillot Jaune, Lemond Washoe, Holdsworth Special, Gitane Champion du Monde, Bob Jackson World Tour, Bianchi Professional, Nashbar C/Tour

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to look at the Carver Ti-Glide. It's expensive, but you can get it with 26" wheels on both ends.