Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tale of 3 Motobecanes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tale of 3 Motobecanes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-21, 05:06 AM
3Roch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Tale of 3 Motobecanes

Few years ago got M1: a 1979 (more or less) Grand Touring. Blue, Moto triple crank,very nice condition . Saving all orig parts made it into a 700/8 speed brifter bike.
Then year or so ago got M2: a 1979 Le Champion frameset. Built it into a 20 lb 6 oz (without pedals) 9 speed brifter bike. Love it, my daily driver. Then recently got M3: a 1973 Le Champ frameset(one of the somewhat weird silver/ like a 72 (eyelets etc) versions. A bit different geometry than the 79. Took the brifter bike parts off the GT and put them on the 73 -after coming up with french headset and bb. Really great bike. With it's assortment of parts including 8 speed titanium cassette.
Anyway it was all an interesting process. I now have a go --fast Le Champ for each of my 2 locations and got to compare early vs late versions (weight is the same, I actually prefer the earlier handling). At this point I would sell the GT with it's original parts but where I live in the middle of nowhere it's 70% mt bikes, 20% carbon road bikes and 10% Wally World bikes. No one would want it so it will likely sit and collect dust.
BTW.the GT frameset( it's about 59 ctt) weighs about 1 1/2 lbs more than the Le Champ (60 ctt) framesets
Regards....

Last edited by 3Roch; 08-27-21 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-27-21, 09:40 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I am so confused. Why are there no pictures?
Likes For due ruote:
Old 08-27-21, 10:09 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
sounds like a for sale post, belongs in the sales forum
Old 08-27-21, 10:13 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I always like looking at pix of Motobecane Grand Touring and Grand Jubiles. Got any to share?
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 08-27-21, 10:40 AM
3Roch

Originally Posted by droppedandlost
sounds like a for sale post, belongs in the sales forum
I'm not selling anything.nothing described is for sale.
If the mods want to delete it for whatever reason they can, just thought it be interesting as it compares 3 vintage Motos and a bit of commentary on the local bike scene.
Likes For 3Roch:
Old 08-27-21, 10:43 AM
3Roch

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I always like looking at pix of Motobecane Grand Touring and Grand Jubiles. Got any to share?
the GT(which as noted above is not for sale) at the moment is a pile of parts so no pictures. They are nice bikes, got me in the whole Moto thing

Last edited by 3Roch; 08-27-21 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For 3Roch:
Old 08-27-21, 11:15 AM
3Roch

Originally Posted by 3Roch
No flames please, I was starting with only the frameset so no other original parts were taken off.
Misc parts including new, used, stuff I had around. Terry Liberator saddle, Shimano triple I drilliumed (or is it driliumized), Microshift brifters, 9 speed Ultegra cassette, DT Swiss rims/hubs. 20 lb 8 oz per my Park scale. Not done, and roads are salted so won't be able t ride until spring

For those obsessed with visuals if you go to the below page on "what are you wrenching on" if the link works and go down thru the page to a post I made there are a couple pict of the 79. The 73 looks just like it except it's silver
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21228175
Likes For 3Roch:
Old 08-27-21, 11:35 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Roch
the GT(which as noted above is not for sale) at the moment is a pile of parts so no pictures. The are nice bikes, got me in the whole Moto thing
Sounds like quite a jumble, in a good way, just the way we like it.

As always, pics or it didn't happen, you know the drill, just the we is.

Here's one of mine from one of our venerable obrentharris's restorations, frame only that is still languishing in the queue.

And 78 GT that I built for my wife.

I love Moto's, also have a faded red with black 73? Grand Jubilee that seems to be original, no pics and still languishing as well.

Likes For merziac:
Old 09-01-21, 11:11 PM
Bjenkins

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
This is probably insane...

...but I'm just learning how to interact with the forums. I just saw the photos of your Motobecane Team Champion frame (and perhaps the finished bike). I have a '77 Grand Jubile that I absolutely love and have completely restored, but my dream bike is that orange Team Champion from '73-'75 in a 23" frame to restore to original. I'm looking everywhere, and at the risk of seeming like an idiot, I thought I'd ask you about the beauty I see here, or any ideas about how I might acquire one. Spectacularly beautiful. For me, in the movie Le Mans, the Porsche 911 that Steve McQueen drove to the track is my Grand Jubile (elegant, quick, responsive). The 917 that he drove on the track is the Team Champion (a monster!).

Thanks for your time,
Brian
Old 10-26-21, 12:21 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Bjenkins
...but I'm just learning how to interact with the forums. I just saw the photos of your Motobecane Team Champion frame (and perhaps the finished bike). I have a '77 Grand Jubile that I absolutely love and have completely restored, but my dream bike is that orange Team Champion from '73-'75 in a 23" frame to restore to original. I'm looking everywhere, and at the risk of seeming like an idiot, I thought I'd ask you about the beauty I see here, or any ideas about how I might acquire one. Spectacularly beautiful. For me, in the movie Le Mans, the Porsche 911 that Steve McQueen drove to the track is my Grand Jubile (elegant, quick, responsive). The 917 that he drove on the track is the Team Champion (a monster!).

Thanks for your time,
Brian
So you would have needed to "like" or "quote" me to alert me that you had replied to my post, sorry I never circled back until now and you have already done the deal, good work.