Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Old 01-03-16, 09:18 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2016 - Race Results

Raced the training crit with @mattm and @aaronmcd today.

I went at the gun, was nearly dropped when Eamon (local pro/superman) pulled the pack past me about 5mph faster than I was capable of going. I rode the struggle bus for a few minutes but eventually the pack let Eamon go and I got a breather. Enough guys mustered to pull Eamon back by about the 13-minute mark.

From there it was the usual early-season crit scramble. Attack, get a break, break gets caught, go with the next attempt, etc... By the halfway mark it was me, Eamon, Matt, ColumbiaU-kit guy, and a Specialized tiny junior. Matt sat up out of the break and the 4 of us stayed away the rest of the time.

Final lap was as expected. Eamon is going to stomp us and we all know it. At 1k the junior goes. No one goes with him. About 600m Eamon jumps and CU-Kit guy somehow gets his wheel. They leave me in the dust, I pass the Jr and take 3rd. Eamon, Columbia, me, then the JR.

The pack was a ways back. Not sure what happened there.

race was 53 minutes, 325AP, 340NP. Final drag was 1min, 550w @ 28.5mph. Eamon said they hit 40mph and for once I believe it.
Old 01-03-16, 11:01 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Final lap was as expected. Eamon is going to stomp us and we all know it. At 1k the junior goes. No one goes with him. About 600m Eamon jumps and CU-Kit guy somehow gets his wheel. They leave me in the dust, I pass the Jr and take 3rd. Eamon, Columbia, me, then the JR.

race was 53 minutes, 325AP, 340NP. Final drag was 1min, 550w @ 28.5mph. Eamon said they hit 40mph and for once I believe it.
Nice! The Columbia kit and I both started racing on the same day. He's now a pretty solid cat 1 and I'm a foddering 3.
Old 01-03-16, 11:03 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Same race. I only knew Ygduf, mattm, Eamon and a teammate of mine who just got his cat 3 upgrade. But assumed there would be a handful of strong dudes and a handful of fresh 3s, so I had to stay forward to avoid splits without working as though I'm one of the strong dudes We had the usual first 15 minutes of insane intensity, but like Fudgy said it was mainly due to us having to keep Eamon's leash short. If a super strong break threatened, I knew better than to try and get in it so I did my part to help kill it (meaning pick up the slack when the field tries to slow to 20 mph).

Pace evens out at around 15 minutes per usual, and I start watching for the break that can stick but won't destroy me. Fudgy, Eamon, matt, and 2 others go and immediately I go with 2 guys to bridge. Big enough that I won't die, strong enough to stay away. But we hover oh so close for oh so long, then Matt drops back, and soon enough we drift back to the pack.

The break is gone, the pack is waiting. I don't want a field sprint. One lap to go someone jumps and 5 of us latch on. Gap behind me, but I know it'll close. Half lap to go Matt takes off, I take off after him, field hesitates. I catch matt, sit on his wheel for a bit, watch the field getting closer and come around a ways out. Idk how far but pretty darn far. I pull Matt up to the line and he tries to come around but he was out of juice.

Pissed I missed the break, but happy to get best of the rest.

Was gonna try and lead my teammate out for 5th, but one to go I looked back and he's suffering waaay at the back.

Almost 2 minutes slower than the break.
55 minutes, 269 AP, 295 NP
Old 01-04-16, 05:02 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts

I went at the gun, was nearly dropped when Eamon (local pro/superman) pulled the pack past me about 5mph faster than I was capable of going. I rode the struggle bus for a few minutes but eventually the pack let Eamon go and I got a breather. Enough guys mustered to pull Eamon back by about the 13-minute mark.

From there it was the usual early-season crit scramble. Attack, get a break, break gets caught, go with the next attempt, etc... By the halfway mark it was me, Eamon, Matt, ColumbiaU-kit guy, and a Specialized tiny junior. Matt sat up out of the break and the 4 of us stayed away the rest of the time.

Damn. Those are some east coast numbers. Good job!
Old 01-04-16, 06:05 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice racing gentlemen.
Old 01-04-16, 11:11 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts

Attrition?
Old 01-04-16, 11:23 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Great racing and power numbers.
Old 01-04-16, 11:25 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Here are pics from the early bird practice session courtesy of Craig Huffman.
Old 01-04-16, 12:26 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Nice! The Columbia kit and I both started racing on the same day. He's now a pretty solid cat 1 and I'm a foddering 3.
what is his name?

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Damn. Those are some east coast numbers. Good job!
not even 4w/kg. I can't get into the moderate Zwift rides with those.

Originally Posted by Yep
Attrition?
in the sense that it was attack after attack after attack until people gave up chasing and the break was solidly away by the halfway point. it's a training race where they don't keep score so I just attacked whenever I was able and tried to stay near enough the front to be able to get into the break that Eamon was going to make stick. Either go with him, or be off the front and catch on when he decided to bridge.
Old 01-04-16, 12:28 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Most impressive is that it wasn't a 4th place, you secured an east coast podium!
Old 01-04-16, 12:31 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Most impressive is that it wasn't a 4th place, you secured an east coast podium!
I told the junior I wouldn't chase him if he went to get him to go early so he'd blow up and I could beat him. I was honest, but teaching him a lesson at the same time.
Old 01-04-16, 12:32 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
what is his name
If I'm thinking of the same guy, his name is Gavin (can't be too many fast Bay Area kids rocking Columbia kits).
Old 01-04-16, 12:36 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
The break is gone, the pack is waiting. I don't want a field sprint. One lap to go someone jumps and 5 of us latch on. Gap behind me, but I know it'll close. Half lap to go Matt takes off, I take off after him, field hesitates. I catch matt, sit on his wheel for a bit, watch the field getting closer and come around a ways out. Idk how far but pretty darn far. I pull Matt up to the line and he tries to come around but he was out of juice.
Nice job on beating me! I thought I was gonna be able to get on your wheel then come around you, but the legs had nothing at the end..

And nice job to @Ygduf to surviving in The Break; I was too weak to stay in.

my race videos
Old 01-04-16, 12:37 PM
mattm
**** that

If I'm thinking of the same guy, his name is Gavin (can't be too many fast Bay Area kids rocking Columbia kits).
Yeah that's who I thought it was too - he raced on Red Peloton last year. Hasn't gotten any weaker in the off-season I see..

my race videos
Old 01-04-16, 12:39 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
that is he. He joined the team a year after i "left" the team, so i never overlapped with him. Quite talented, and too bad that he seemed to have graduated already as we are in a constant need for more undergrads...
Old 01-04-16, 12:44 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
that is he. He joined the team a year after i "left" the team, so i never overlapped with him. Quite talented, and too bad that he seemed to have graduated already as we are in a constant need for more undergrads...
Yeah, cat 5 to 1 in 2 years seems talented to me.
Originally Posted by mattm
Yeah that's who I thought it was too - he raced on Red Peloton last year. Hasn't gotten any weaker in the off-season I see..
too many people with year round fitness ... jerks
Old 01-04-16, 01:44 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by echappist
as we are in a constant need for more undergrads...
said every collegiate team ever
Old 01-04-16, 01:49 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, cat 5 to 1 in 2 years seems talented to me.

too many people with year round fitness ... jerks
he lost to Eamon, but Gavin's sprint was impressive to me. Eamon complained after the race that Gavin made him hurt and he (eamon) had to jump twice to hold onto first.
Old 01-04-16, 02:07 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
said every collegiate team ever
Ours especially since officers have to be undergrads. Pure idiocy

they let us off the hook this year on an ad-hoc basis...
Old 01-10-16, 09:04 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Early Bird crit, 1/2/3

Started off slow, I conserved and waited. About 10 minutes in Fudgy goes and I follow the group on his wheel. Break of 10 (around 20 behind us). We all work for a bit, then keep taking pulls but ease up, waiting. 4 long laps to go it heats up and the attacks begin. I had 3 teammates in the break, so I went with the first move just to sit on. Reeled in. At the bell, I'm near the front, a guy jumps and I follow. No one chases, I pull through, corner one, now the group is chasing. They catch up but I just keep going, hoping to make others chase and get some teammates to the line fresh. They let me go again, then mattm comes by with 2 on his wheel including a teammate of mine that I don't know. I jump on, but I'm cooked and I don't pull through - a bit too early to give the leadout. But a guy from the main break came flying by and mattm went early and I had nothing and neither did my teammate. Fudgy came powering past just before the line, and we got 5th and 6th.

43 minute break 287/307 AP/NP
Final 11 minutes 1.16 IF. No wonder I had nothing left for the sprint!
Old 01-10-16, 10:31 PM
mattm
**** that

Won the Early Bird crit today!

Will post video soon.

my race videos
Old 01-10-16, 10:33 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Congrats Mattm. Great racing aaronmcd.
Old 01-10-16, 10:53 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
congrats on the good results matt, fudgy, and aaron
Old 01-10-16, 11:16 PM
mattm
**** that

Thanks dudes.

Also, @Ygduf gets a shout out for not chasing me down at the end, and also getting a selfie during the race!!

my race videos
Old 01-11-16, 07:24 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very well done guys. Look forward to the video!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.