Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Old 06-28-21, 08:38 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28430 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It makes sense to people that know what they're talking about.
Saying you're going to "the cities" is like saying you're going to cut your lawns.

No!

You're either talking about the entire entity the lawn/city, or, if you want to be specific, you're cutting the front lawn/going to Minneapolis or Saint Paul.
Old 06-28-21, 08:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Saying you're going to "the cities" is like saying you're going to cut your lawns.

No!

You're either talking about the entire entity the lawn/city, or, if you want to be specific, you're cutting the front lawn/going to Minneapolis or Saint Paul.
You know nothing, Jon Snow Velo Vol.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-28-21, 08:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
You know nothing, Jon Snow Velo Vol.
My brother told me that they're going to consolidate Minneapolis and St Paul into a single city and rename it 'Minnehaha'.

That's 'Minne' for Minneapolis, and Haha for St. Paul.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-28-21, 09:00 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Car inspection day. First come. First served. Else I’d still be ‘sleep.
It’s so easy to have done here in NY, I just bring it to my car dealer who does it for free.

We keep my wife’s car registered in MA so we can get a local beach pass in Marblehead for the weeks/weekends we go out there. She has to go get her car inspected today, but luckily it’s only a 45 minute drive across the border to a MA inspection station.
Old 06-28-21, 09:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
My brother told me that they're going to consolidate Minneapolis and St Paul into a single city and rename it 'Minnehaha'.

That's 'Minne' for Minneapolis, and Haha for St. Paul.
Ouch. Ragging on St Paul like that, he's either a native or he's been naturalized.
Old 06-28-21, 09:04 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Leah Goldstein became the first woman to win RAAM. I think there were only 3 finishers in solo divisions. Many top Europeans couldn't come, but still, she showed up and she won it.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-28-21, 09:06 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28430 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
It’s so easy to have done here in NY, I just bring it to my car dealer who does it for free.
Even easier here--we don't have them.
Old 06-28-21, 09:09 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Ouch. Ragging on St Paul like that, he's either a native or he's been naturalized.
Well, he lived in The Cities for a few years, then Bemidji for even more years. Married a Minnesota girl. Move to PA bringing his Minnesota bride with him. Moved BACK TO Minnesota, even though his Minnesota bride liked it more in PA.

Now lives in New Mexico. Go figure.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-28-21, 09:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,265 Times in 7,222 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I actually got free inspections for the life of the car from the dealer. Took advantage of that once because it took me about 75 minutes to get to the place thanks to morning traffic. Not worth the $90/year or so for an inspection. Take it to a place 5 minutes from my house. I can walk there from work to pick it up when it's done.
Old 06-28-21, 09:37 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

I actually got free inspections for the life of the car from the dealer. Took advantage of that once because it took me about 75 minutes to get to the place thanks to morning traffic. Not worth the $90/year or so for an inspection. Take it to a place 5 minutes from my house. I can walk there from work to pick it up when it's done.
Ahh - my dealer is about 20 minutes away and has office space set up inside that I use when I bring my car in for service, so it's not that bad
Old 06-28-21, 09:38 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Even easier here--we don't have them.
I'm sure the result is a bunch of incredibly well maintained and safe vehicles on the road.
Old 06-28-21, 09:51 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Semi-related rant. My wife had a Suzuki with a 10 year warranty but Suzuki shuttered their North American automobile operations about 7 or 8 years into the warranty. They worked out arrangements with now-former Suzuki dealers who wanted to participate to keep servicing the warranties. Unfortunately, the two places nearest to where we live were each about 2 hours away.

Then we started getting recall notices for some airbag sensor issue. Of course, people in corporate offices in densely-populated parts of the country don't understand the realities of life in the midwest, and also apparently don't have access to a globe. So even though the recall work was free of charge they wanted us to drive to the authorized service provider, which was 2 hours away.

My position was that it wasn't my fault they installed a ****** airbag sensor so why should I be the one inconvenienced to get it fixed, and also any certified mechanic out to be able to perform this work so why can't I just have it done locally? I called them but the poor lowly-paid customer service rep sitting in the call center wasn't empowered to do anything about it and it wasn't worth the hassle to me to keep pushing the issue. Also it's not like Suzuki actually gives a crap, they're just covering their ass for regulators and courts.

Anyway the car finally died when it somehow got a sudden oil leak and subsequent catastrophic engine failure on the side of the road so now she drives a Hyundai. But we still get recall notices from Suzuki.

TL;DR: Corporation doesn't understand why I don't want to drive 2 hours each way to fix their recall issue.
Old 06-28-21, 10:04 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Our Fit has gone beyond its warranty period. Three years passed well before 60.000 kms. passed. We are free of the dealership. Now we have to remember how to keep track of scheduling our own maintenance. It's been a long time.

Old 06-28-21, 10:16 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts

I guess the warm weather, like the grackles, went north to find warm weather.

https://twitter.com/MetMikeWCVB/stat...08360101482496
I didn't know Twitter had a weather App.
Old 06-28-21, 10:20 AM
indyfabz

Life in the big city.
Old 06-28-21, 10:39 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder

TL;DR: Corporation doesn't understand why I don't want to drive 2 hours each way to fix their recall issue.
I worked at a multi-line dealer where we sold Daihatsu vehicles for a short time. The factory denied every warranty claim we made and the cars were more expensive than competing models from established brands. The dealer had a hard time selling them and we even made some of them rental/loaner cars.

The factory ceased operations in the U.S. but we still had to honor the warranty and service the cars that survived.

There was no parts network in the U.S. so parts had to be ordered individually from Japan. This usually took about a month and if the part was wrong or damaged, wait another month. I was happy to be free of the hassle when I quit that dealer but a few years later I was hired by another dealer which was also saddled with the brand. There were so few of the cars left by then I didn't have to deal with them very often.

Chevrolet also sold several cars manufactured by Suzuki. The biggest pain was the Geo Sprint Turbo. No service information, no parts, nobody with enough experience to ask. I refused to work on one and they customer left it there for 6 months, eventually bringing a pile of used parts which didn't fix it. They towed it out.
Old 06-28-21, 10:55 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12634 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Old 06-28-21, 11:05 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11318 Post(s)
Liked 4,632 Times in 2,698 Posts
Daihatsu=Snot

Daewoo=Also Snot
Likes For LAJ:
Old 06-28-21, 11:06 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

First day at work of no mask requirement for the vaccinated, which is everyone here. Feels really strange, sitting in my office with the door open and no mask. I've had the door closed, per policy, for the last year. I'll have to remember I can no longer fart loudly with impunity.

The Older Boy and I went to Safeway the other night. After a couple minutes he took off his mask. He pointed out that almost nobody was wearing a mask. I looked at the signage by the door, and it said, "Unvaccinated Customers Must Wear Masks", which logically means vaccinated customers aren't required to do so. So I took mine off, too, so I didn't stand out. (This is something we introverts worry about) The whole experience felt really strange.

Went to Safeway last night with Mrs. GeneJockey. She insisted on wearing her mask regardless, so I put mine on, too. This time, almost every customer was masked. Go figure.

Old 06-28-21, 11:28 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Leah Goldstein became the first woman to win RAAM. I think there were only 3 finishers in solo divisions. Many top Europeans couldn't come, but still, she showed up and she won it.

Unclear if such an accomplishment is admirable or foolishness. Probably both.
Old 06-28-21, 11:31 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
First day at work of no mask requirement for the vaccinated, which is everyone here. Feels really strange, sitting in my office with the door open and no mask. I've had the door closed, per policy, for the last year. I'll have to remember I can no longer fart loudly with impunity.

The Older Boy and I went to Safeway the other night. After a couple minutes he took off his mask. He pointed out that almost nobody was wearing a mask. I looked at the signage by the door, and it said, "Unvaccinated Customers Must Wear Masks", which logically means vaccinated customers aren't required to do so. So I took mine off, too, so I didn't stand out. (This is something we introverts worry about) The whole experience felt really strange.

Went to Safeway last night with Mrs. GeneJockey. She insisted on wearing her mask regardless, so I put mine on, too. This time, almost every customer was masked. Go figure.
I still wear a mask at Home Depot/Walmart/Wegmans. My county has a daily case rate of less than 2 per 100k people (and possibly the highest vaccination rate anywhere) so probably safe to pitch the mask there too. But I don’t feel quite ready yet.
Old 06-28-21, 11:52 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9519 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
A car dealer I represented some time ago thought about becoming a US dealer for the Shuanghuan Noble back when the Smart Car was a thing. Talk about a piece of crap car. Talks fell through though so they never took it on. Probably ended up being a blessing to the client.
Old 06-28-21, 11:52 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I worked at a multi-line dealer where we sold Daihatsu vehicles for a short time. The factory denied every warranty claim we made and the cars were more expensive than competing models from established brands. The dealer had a hard time selling them and we even made some of them rental/loaner cars.

The factory ceased operations in the U.S. but we still had to honor the warranty and service the cars that survived.

There was no parts network in the U.S. so parts had to be ordered individually from Japan. This usually took about a month and if the part was wrong or damaged, wait another month. I was happy to be free of the hassle when I quit that dealer but a few years later I was hired by another dealer which was also saddled with the brand. There were so few of the cars left by then I didn't have to deal with them very often.

Chevrolet also sold several cars manufactured by Suzuki. The biggest pain was the Geo Sprint Turbo. No service information, no parts, nobody with enough experience to ask. I refused to work on one and they customer left it there for 6 months, eventually bringing a pile of used parts which didn't fix it. They towed it out.
It's kind of a shame, Suzuki made some fun cars, but from what I gather they couldn't support their dealer network in North America with enough inventory and interested customers went elsewhere. They were kind of in a middle ground between big enough to mass produce vehicles but not big enough to gain enough traction on this continent.

I don't pay that much attention to the auto industry but I remember reading things around the time Isuzu or Saab went away to the effect that a combination of a requirement in the U.S. for higher safety requirements in vehicles than in other countries (driven mainly by the fact that the U.S. requires auto manufacturers to attempt to design cars to protect un-seatbelted people) and various tax and regulatory requirements that heavily penalize the smaller auto manufacturers meant that all smaller manufacturers' days were numbered in the U.S. The article I read predicted Volvo would be next but so far they seem to be OK.

Anyway I like having more choices so this is a bummer. Sure Honda is a good car but I don't want to drive the same thing everyone else drives.
Old 06-28-21, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

then Bemidji for even more years.
I rode through Bemidji crossing the country back in '99. At home i have a photo of giant Paul and Babe. Did that exist when you were there? Stayed at some campground near Pennington and took a boat ride on, I think, Cass Lake.
Old 06-28-21, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Car is ready. Good excuse for an early quit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.