Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I've Picked Up A Couple MPH!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I've Picked Up A Couple MPH!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 04:02 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
For me….gaining 1mph seems to take a lot of effort. I average 19-20mph on my 10 mile route day in and day out(whether I watch my app or ignore it the whole ride). Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s windy or not….my average stays the same. My body/brain apparently goes on autopilot so I don’t dip below 19mph avg.

Seems like I have to noticeably push to get a 20.5 mph average.
Old 08-03-21, 07:14 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Wait -- are you saying that a headwind is good?

Criminy. I'm gonna have to start taking notes.
Sorta kidding, but not entirely. Might as well make the best of it. In winter we have at least 10-15 mph winds most every day and no leaves (on the trees) and I ride trails on a SS vintage MTB. So, yeah, a headwind is work… might as well enjoy it! 😊 My approach to SS is that a headwind doesn’t get to slow me down, at least not below 15 mph, so it can turn into a high intensity episode, and that’s just fine.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 08-08-21 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-05-21, 12:19 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by partytimeroadie
I see you're in Eugene. I've read Portland has turned into an absolute hellhole with homeless encampments and antifa rioters everywhere.
This is a politically agnostic forum, if you feel the need to trash talk, please go elsewhere.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-08-21, 10:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
MinnMan You would have loved Hong Kong then. Up all night drinking and partying and then straight to morning dim sum. Not conducive to biking though.
Funny, I was just looking up a few days ago to see if an old aussie bar I visited back in my young days (Ned Kelly's Last stand) was still standing.
Old 08-09-21, 12:34 PM
Feelgood1

Bikes: Ridley Noah SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love evening and night rides because it's cooler and roads are clear. I could never wake up early like some of these roadies. I think it has to do with the person. Some are early birds while others aren't. I fell asleep at 1AM last night and woke up at 12pm today...I naturally sleep 8-11 hours a day. I've been an athlete all my life practicing different disciplines of sports and I was not the type to be at the gym at 6am before work, although it sounds good, I couldn't do it. I exercise after work, and in my 20s when I was bartending, I'd sometimes be in the gym till 2am. But I'm still hoping that one day I'll wake up at 6am and do a 30 mile ride like some of my friends do . Thanks for sharing. Good luck guys.
Old 08-11-21, 05:35 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Feelgood1
I love evening and night rides because it's cooler and roads are clear. I could never wake up early like some of these roadies. I think it has to do with the person. Some are early birds while others aren't. I fell asleep at 1AM last night and woke up at 12pm today...I naturally sleep 8-11 hours a day. I've been an athlete all my life practicing different disciplines of sports and I was not the type to be at the gym at 6am before work, although it sounds good, I couldn't do it. I exercise after work, and in my 20s when I was bartending, I'd sometimes be in the gym till 2am. But I'm still hoping that one day I'll wake up at 6am and do a 30 mile ride like some of my friends do . Thanks for sharing. Good luck guys.
FWIW, I’ve swapped from night owl to morning bird, so it’s possible. I was in my 20s when it happened though.