Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best BOA Mtn bike shoes under $300?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best BOA Mtn bike shoes under $300?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-21, 09:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
Pulled the trigger on the Shimano RX8s. The Lake MX238s looked good, but not enough info/reviews online for me to take the leap. The Fizik X5 Terra looked good(and cheap price) also, but since I already know that Shimanos fit me well….I stuck with what I know.
Crappy color choices it’s the RX8s. Silver, Black, and a funky “cactus berry” color. I ordered black.
Did you try them on?
Old 08-25-21, 09:17 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Did you try them on?
Local bike shop only had 176 model in stock, I tried them on for sizing purposes.
Old 08-25-21, 09:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Local bike shop only had 176 model in stock, I tried them on for sizing purposes.
No, I was asking about the Shimano that you ordered. Or is the assumption that they'll fit the same as your MT3?
Old 08-25-21, 09:28 AM
GBK233

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, I was asking about the Shimano that you ordered. Or is the assumption that they'll fit the same as your MT3?
ya…just assumed. We’ll see if I guessed correctly.
Likes For GBK233:
Old 08-25-21, 11:28 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Time to upgrade my Shimano MT3 shoes. I like em, but would like something stiffer and with BOA. Been seriously considering the Shimano RX8s, but want some recommendations before dropping close to $300 on shoes.
I'm very happy with my Shimano XC-7's, double BOA, carbon mid-sole. I got them in wide as that's my 4E foot. The most comfortable shoes I've worn and worth the $200 I paid at my LBS.
Old 08-25-21, 11:38 AM
GBK233

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I'm very happy with my Shimano XC-7's, double BOA, carbon mid-sole. I got them in wide as that's my 4E foot. The most comfortable shoes I've worn and worth the $200 I paid at my LBS.
Other LBS in town only carried Bontrager shoes and few odd models. Would’ve loved to buy local (even if it cost me $50 more) just to ensure correct fit.
Old 08-25-21, 10:27 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Just fyi, those SIDI shoes don't use a genuine BOA closure, it's their own version of it...which ime is dramatically inferior to the genuine thing. A real BOA is very easy to loosen and tighten on-the-fly (i.e., on the bike) if/when necessary. The SIDI versions are much more difficult to loosen, and unless you ride with the flip-up levers in the up position can be exasperatingly difficult to tighten as well.
I wear Sidi Dominator 10's for longer/all day rides and Fizik R1 Infinitos for shorter ones and have to agree with the above sentiment. The Sidis are fiddly to tighten while on the bike since you have to fold out the tab first, or more specifically find it. That's not always easy based purely on feel while riding. The Boas on the R1's can just be turned. The Sidis release while you push in on the sides, but only while pushing. The Boas you pull out, they stay release until pushed back in and you can just take the shoes off. Don't get me wrong, the Sidis are VERY nice shoes and I can live with the flip tab thing, but... Boas are nicer and if I did it again I'd get the Specialized Recon 3.0's. (Unfortunately, the selection of 2-hole road-grade shoes with Boas is... slim.)
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 08-28-21, 09:37 PM
GBK233

RX8s arrived today. Fit is perfect. Took a 15mile ride. The stiffness is awesome and the increased power transfer was immediately noticeable.
Fitted the cleats as far back as they would go….and it was yet another big improvement over my previous placement on my Shimano MT3 shoes.
Old 08-28-21, 10:52 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I have a pair of Shimano XC7 shoes in red and Shimano RX8 shoes in silver. The XC7 are heavier and have a double BOA and are more of a mountain bike shoe and the RX8 are much lighter and listed as a gravel shoe.

The RX8s I have are a touch narrow but I quite like both of them. The BOA on the XC7 is really nice and the red is a great color.