Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One for the experienced Shimano component guys

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-20-22, 07:41 AM
pingpong91

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have an old Greg Lemond Zurich frame (the part carbon and part steel frame) which I bought second hand during lockdown in the UK, it was fitted with 105 groupset 5600 series (well the rear derailleur is, 10 speed and short caged)

My derailleur is now not playing nice and I think the spring has ceased up, as it is not springing back to its cocked position in some of the gears. This is causing my gears not shift correctly all the time, I am looking to remedy this issue.

I have spoke to a local cycle mechanic and he said he has a 105 10s RD-5701 derailleur ss which should be compatible with my current set up but I am not sure whether it will be, he had a little hesitation in his voice which could been brought on by a little uncertainty.

Is there any one out there who can confirm that this would work just fine? or know why it wouldn't work?

appreciate your time. BTW did try and search the forum but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.
Old 09-20-22, 07:57 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Before swapping out the rear der, how old is the cable & housing? When you disconnect the cable at the der, does the der swing evenly & does the cable slide without any hang ups?
Old 09-20-22, 08:15 AM
pingpong91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Before swapping out the rear der, how old is the cable & housing? When you disconnect the cable at the der, does the der swing evenly & does the cable slide without any hang ups?
Honestly mate, no idea - I am only a novice cyclist and definitely not brave enough to start tinkering the gear system. Why do you ask?
Old 09-20-22, 08:17 AM
pingpong91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
to add to this, i think it might be the original groupset, so pretty old.
Old 09-20-22, 08:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Because many shifting issues are related to the cable binding.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-20-22, 08:21 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Shift to the smallest cog, take the rear wheel out, and push the derailleur in with your hand. Or pull the cable and see what happens.
Old 09-20-22, 08:30 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 573 Times in 342 Posts
As others have said, I would check the cable (in addition to the shifter), and the action on the dlr itself. Sounds like the b screw may be off, changed the cassette to a different range maybe?
But yes, 5701 will work with your shifters (assuming they are compatible with your current dlr).
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 09-20-22, 08:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
If your mechanic hesitated, it's probably because they were talking to you off the top of their head without researching it. It's not like all of us can remember instantly everything we ever have seen or knew.

You could always just ask them to verify the compatibility and show you. In the 2010-2011 compatibility archive they show the RD-5700 compatible with ST-5600 shifters if those are what you have.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/down...ibility_en.pdf

5701 came out in a following year. And the 5600 stuff disappeared in the meantime from documentation as they were no longer made. However you can infer that the 5701 will work with your 5600 stuff. Your only concern might be that the 5701 DR specs for front max difference and the largest rear cog are within what your bike is. However it likely is okay, unless you've put a cassette on it with a really big tooth count low cog.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-20-22 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-20-22, 08:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by pingpong91
My derailleur is now not playing nice and I think the spring has ceased up, as it is not springing back to its cocked position in some of the gears. This is causing my gears not shift correctly all the time, I am looking to remedy this issue.
Does this mean that the upper pivot spring is not consistently pulling the derailleur body back? This can be caused by a broken or disengaged upper pivot spring, but I would expect the problem to manifest in all gears, not just some. Can you remove the chain and assess how the upper pivot spring behaves on its own? If the spring does not pull the derailleur body back when the chain is removed, it is either broken or disengaged. The simplest fix is to replace the derailleur. If the spring works, but the pivot binds in some places, it may just need a thorough cleaning and lubrication.
Old 09-20-22, 09:04 AM
pingpong91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Does this mean that the upper pivot spring is not consistently pulling the derailleur body back? This can be caused by a broken or disengaged upper pivot spring, but I would expect the problem to manifest in all gears, not just some. Can you remove the chain and assess how the upper pivot spring behaves on its own? If the spring does not pull the derailleur body back when the chain is removed, it is either broken or disengaged. The simplest fix is to replace the derailleur. If the spring works, but the pivot binds in some places, it may just need a thorough cleaning and lubrication.
Exactly what it is, it does happen in a lot of gears but really noticeable in highest ring. I took it to a local shop prior to speaking to this guy who showed me what you've explained. they attempted a clean and lubrication and got it playing a little better but still not perfect. They suggested a new RD and whilst I was at it perhaps consider moving to Tiagra GS (minus the breaks) as in their opinion a new Tiagra gearing system would be more proficient than my old 5600 105.. as i am not an expert i really have to take their advice as true. however i spoke to this other independant guy who said he doesn't see why the 5701 wouldn't work, i wouldn't get the extra range from the new 10 speed crankset i was looking at but it's obviously cheaper to change one part than loads of it and his 2 pence was that you're still downgrading from 105 to tiagra whatever the year so his suggestion would be replace the RD with the 105 RD.. thoughts?
Old 09-20-22, 09:07 AM
pingpong91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi mate, I wasn't criticizing him I just don't know him so wasn't sure if uncertainty meant perhaps a lack of knowledge around the compatibility side. As I don't have the knowledge its hard to know what the best route to take is
Old 09-20-22, 09:28 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Hi mate, I wasn't criticizing him I just don't know him so wasn't sure if uncertainty meant perhaps a lack of knowledge around the compatibility side. As I don't have the knowledge its hard to know what the best route to take is
Use the 'quote' function when replying to specific posts.
Old 09-20-22, 10:38 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
My guess would also be that it's the cable rather than the RD, especially since from what's been posted that hasn't been tested. The fact that lube helped some means that the bike hasn't been well maintained. Many riders change their cables and housing every year, just preventative maintenance.
Old 09-20-22, 12:29 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
I have spoke to a local cycle mechanic
Why not just ask him to check the bike over? It would be foolish to purchase a new RD, only to find out it was a bad cable/housing, or just that the RD mech was gummed up with old oil and dirt.
Old 09-20-22, 01:07 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
As far as compatibility, that one has been answered - yes.

As far as old 105 vs new Tiagra, new Tiagra is probably better but psychologically it feels weird.

But the real question is what other work/tune up has been done? Sure you can replace the RD but what if it still shifts poorly? Now you've got re-do all the cables (my suggestion) anyway but you could have done that part first before deciding that a new RD was needed. If it were me, I would go for brand new cables and housing, clean up my FD and RD by taking them off, rinsing or ultrasonic clean them, and then put things together. With fresh cables and after a thorough clean it should be obvious if the parts are working as expected or if they need to be replaced. If you're lazy about the cleaning part, or if it's simply cheaper to get new RD, then I understand.
Likes For tFUnK: