Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Traverse City Area

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 01:59 PM
shona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thank you forum friends for steering us to Traverse City, Michigan for cycling. It was fantastic. We rode Old Mission Peninsula and Torch Lake. Old Mission Peninsula was by far our favorite. Beautiful scenery, great roads and friendly drivers. THANK YOU
Old 07-25-11, 02:01 PM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i was just researching this a bit earlier today (got cut off with work responsibilities)... can you post some of your routes and etc?? accommodations??

Thx!!
Old 07-25-11, 02:08 PM
shona

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
i was just researching this a bit earlier today (got cut off with work responsibilities)... can you post some of your routes and etc?? accommodations??

Thx!!
We used a paper map created by the Cherry Capital Cycling Club (https://www.michiweb.com/cycling/index.html). You can purchase the map for $7 from either McLain Cycle (https://mclaincycle.com/) or Brick Wheels (https://www.brickwheels.com/). Sorry, I don't have the routes downloaded but maybe somebody else will post something.
Old 07-25-11, 04:21 PM
SilverStretch

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shona -

Great to hear you had fun.

Were you there for the weekend of the RAT (Ride Around Torch) ride (7/17)? I guess they had over 1000 riders this year. The past few weekends have been pretty hot up there (by Michigan standards, temps in the 90s), but you must have found ways to deal with it...! I will be going back up there next week to present at a conference and I plan on hauling the bike up...
Old 07-25-11, 04:41 PM
shona

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverStretch
Shona -

Great to hear you had fun.

Were you there for the weekend of the RAT (Ride Around Torch) ride (7/17)? I guess they had over 1000 riders this year. The past few weekends have been pretty hot up there (by Michigan standards, temps in the 90s), but you must have found ways to deal with it...! I will be going back up there next week to present at a conference and I plan on hauling the bike up...
We were there for the Ride Around the Torch and planned to ride it but we discovered the night before that BOTH of our bikes were malfunctioning and needed to go into the shop. The ride was on a Sunday and the shop didn't open until 11:00 a.m. so we missed the ride. So we did it a couple of days later. I felt like the Old Mission Peninsula ride was prettier - it is much less populated so you ride by the water much of the time and in the center of the peninsula are great rolling hills through the cherry orchards. The area around Torch Lake is so heavily populated with houses and people that you cannot appreciate the water view so much and the traffic was heavier. It was also a great ride though.
We were there for a week during their heat wave but we live in San Antonio so it was nothing to us. The weather was a pleasure!
Old 07-25-11, 06:37 PM
brian416
Roadie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
It's too bad your bikes were malfunctions for the RAT, it was pretty cool with sooo many riders on the road, but it brutally hot for us northerners.
Old 07-25-11, 07:49 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
I was disappointed with RAT this year. To run out of water at a rest stop is inexcusable on a +90-degree day. And one of their SAG cars buzzed us closer than what a redneck would do.

But the area up there is one of the best riding spots in the country. Boyne, Old Mission, Leelanau, and on up to Cross Village is one of the best kept secrets.
Old 07-25-11, 08:18 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Glad you had a good time in the TC area. I'm not too far north of there (Boyne City). Cycling is quite resurgent here the past 10-15yrs.