Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Awesome Jacket

Old 04-02-20, 09:43 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Awesome Jacket

Edit: As pointed out by "Oso Polar" this jacket is also on sale at Amazon in different size/color combinations. The prices vary widely from $50.64 to $300, you have to go through each size in every color. The prices also change, so it would be best to monitor it.

https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen...WV6th=1&psc=1

Edit: Two people have actually bought this jacket on this sale and posted their opinions, posts 75 and 76.

Last edited by mjac; 04-15-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 12:21 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Extreme waterproof and extreme breathability? Miracles do exist!
Old 04-03-20, 03:37 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Extreme waterproof and extreme breathability? Miracles do exist!
Lab verified.
Old 04-03-20, 05:14 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Lab verified.
What is your experience with the jacket?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-03-20, 07:04 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have one along with a pant of similar construction called the Odin Skarstind Pant. With this combination, there is no weather condition you can not go into, short of some full blown expedition, if you layer properly. It is a highly windproof, highly waterproof, highly breathable shell, there is no insulation. Despite being able to handle extreme conditions, it breaths so well you can actually walk around with it during the summer as a rain jacket. The exterior is very tough, durable fabric but the jacket is not stiff, it is very flexible and moves with you very well.

I was was on the lake on top of a levee on a bike path taking a ride, it was 26F, the wind was blowing 15-20 mph, I had on a Tesla Compression Shirt, a light Helly Hansen insulating shirt and this jacket and pant. It was not only bearable it was totally comfortable with no clammy feeling at all. It worked great.

At this sale price this jacket is a steal.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-03-20, 08:08 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I was also thinking about this from the website.
HH Lifa Merino Crew
Old 04-03-20, 08:13 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
They are running out of sizes on the awesome jacket.
Old 04-03-20, 11:48 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Gconan
Unfortunetly, that is what they do. When the seasons change they try and clear out their remaining inventory from the previous season, what is left is left. But that is the only way you can get some of this apparel, it's just too expensive. I had a credit pending and my size in the Vanir Slidr was available on sale and I called them up and told them I wanted that jacket on hold right now before the size ran out. The jacket is awesome though. They do have medium in the high vis Orange, other then that it is just small and XT Large.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-03-20, 03:52 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
If the jacket performs as claimed, that is a very good price.
Old 04-03-20, 05:06 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by berner
If the jacket performs as claimed, that is a very good price.
You are right. You have to catch a deep sale and availability in your size even if it means watching season to season. But it is worth it. This is the beginning of their professional line.
Old 04-03-20, 08:39 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by mjac
You are right. You have to catch a deep sale and availability in your size even if it means watching season to season. But it is worth it. This is the beginning of their professional line.
I must add, that it is not as dire and bleak to find your size on a sale like this as you may think. You see I do not know how long this sale has been going on. It may have been going on for the better part of 1 or 2 months. I had no need to monitor this jacket, I already have one. But some rather, let's say, unknowledgable people questioned the existance of waterproof and breathable material. So I took a screen shot of this jacket and its specs since I was familiar with it to give them an example of an extremely waterproof, extremely breathable, extremely windproof jacket. That is when I saw the jacket was on sale. I knew I was going to get some blowback because so few sizes were available but if 1 or 2 people fit these sizes and were able to get this great jacket at this price it would have been worth it. So if you monitor this jacket or the pant or similar item let's say next spring when the winter season is over and catch the sale at its beginning, your size will be available. You see, they didn't just put certain colors on sale, like they sometimes do, they put the whole color line on sale because it was an end of season sale.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-03-20, 10:00 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Well, I've no idea how good is this jacket but in case someone is interested it is available on Amazon, sold by Amazon itself, for < $70 in some colors and sizes (orange/medium, blue/small).
https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-...WV6?th=1&psc=1
Old 04-03-20, 11:45 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Well, I've no idea how good is this jacket but in case someone is interested it is available on Amazon, sold by Amazon itself, for < $70 in some colors and sizes (orange/medium, blue/small).
Folks, the man is right. Amazon must be having an end of season sale of its stock too. It has select colors and sizes ranging in price from $68 - $300. Go through the different colors and find your size and you might find the deal of the century. It is the same jacket. It's all different prices for all different color and size combinations. Some prices are unbelievable. That was a great recommendation. I was not aware of this.
Old 04-03-20, 11:55 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I quoted ya'll to better the chances of ya'll seeing this, check out Oso Polar's and my last post.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-04-20, 03:43 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Where is this jacket made? Prices range from $68 to $300 . Sounds a lot like the tennis shoe market.
Old 04-04-20, 04:55 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Olefeller77
Where is this jacket made? Prices range from $68 to $300 . Sounds a lot like the tennis shoe market.
The Jacket is designed and developed in Norway by Helly Hansen founded in 1877 and is made in China. The $68 - $300 is the vagaries of the Internet market with wild swings in supply and demand that sometimes supplies tremendous deals that are no reflection on the quality of the product. As a matter of fact, serves to your advantage because it can offer up deals like this never seen before as one of its quirks. I know it is the proclivity of BF, especially amongst certain members, to find something negative and pessimistic in everything that goes on here, but do not put down this jacket down comparing it to the tennis shoe market. It is a functioning jacket that works, is very durable on the exterior and is very versatile. At these prices on some sizes and colors it is the best bargain you will ever find on a very high quality jacket.

Last edited by mjac; 04-04-20 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-08-20, 07:49 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
If a jacket like that is likely to last at least 5 years, it seems like it would be worth it, even at $300. I am always leery of forking a few hundred bucks for something I'm unsure of, but hell, even my $50 Shimano shoes that I bought in 2011 are still perfectly functional. Now that I know they are that good, and last like they do, I'm much more inclined to pay more if needed (but sales are always welcome!).

I would probably get one of these jackets if 1) I still lived in Seattle, and 2) I didn't have a velomobile.
Old 04-08-20, 08:19 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar

Hmm, while there is only one review on Amazon, it scares me a bit. I'll wait for more opinions to roll in, either here or there.
Old 04-08-20, 08:49 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
Hmm, while there is only one review on Amazon, it scares me a bit. I'll wait for more opinions to roll in, either here or there.
There are 52 reviews at Helly Hansen by some serious Outdoor people.

As for that little ditty of a review on Amazon, click comment below the review and see what I left for this wonderfully observant person.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-08-20, 08:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
It would not surprise me if this jacket is as good as folks say it is. HH has been a pioneer in a lot of areas related to outdoors. I think they essentially invented the “oil skin” waterproof clothing for fishermen a long while ago. I recall as well working for Eastern Mt. Sports when Fibrepile was developed. It was the predecessor to fleece. I still have a Patagonia FibrePile (or their version of it) jacket from the early 70’s.
Old 04-08-20, 09:39 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Looks like a good deal but isn't cycling-specific; I'd worry about the tail being long enough for drop-bar use.
Old 04-09-20, 04:20 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Looks like a good deal but isn't cycling-specific; I'd worry about the tail being long enough for drop-bar use.
You are right, it is not a cycling specific jacket made specifically for cycling with a drop panel in the back, more an expedition type jacket. But being an expeditio type jacket it is not cut like a jacket, it is cut more like a coat, it is cut long. On me, it completely covers the hips and comes to the very bottom of the rear. More then enough to work with a rain pant. It also has a draw cord at the bottom to secure the bottom of the jacket. If you have any doubts, you could buy it through Amazon Prime and get free shipping and returns if it does not meet your expectations. But if you fall within one of these sizes and can get this jacket for $68, it is the steal of the century.
Old 04-09-20, 04:32 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Steve B.
It would not surprise me if this jacket is as good as folks say it is. HH has been a pioneer in a lot of areas related to outdoors. I think they essentially invented the “oil skin” waterproof clothing for fishermen a long while ago. I recall as well working for Eastern Mt. Sports when Fibrepile was developed. It was the predecessor to fleece. I still have a Patagonia FibrePile (or their version of it) jacket from the early 70’s.
Helly Hansen does make good stuff, I like them and they are easyto deal with. But their products can be pricey. That is why if you can fit one of these sizes and get this quality of an expedition grade,professional jacket for $68, give me a break.

The only thing I can say about Helly Hansen,is they used to have a bullet proof lifetime warranty and it was truly a lifetime warranty. People might have been taking advantage of this and a little while back they changed it to a two year warranty. That is quite a change. But they do fudge on it a little bit. I had a three year old jacket that the zipper broke on and they gave me a full replacement credit, which I used to get the Vanir Slidr on sale from them for $150.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-09-20, 05:13 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Not to mention that it has a hood, which would act like a parachute brake while riding.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-09-20, 06:44 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Not to mention that it has a hood, which would act like a parachute brake while riding.
That might be the case if there was no head on your shoulders, but I’ve never found a hood catches the wind. Maybe if I was racing and had the bar slammed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.