Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage and classic bicycles without kick stands?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage and classic bicycles without kick stands?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 01:48 PM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Look at posts 15, 29, and 41. I’ve scrapped plenty of bikes at my local co-op that had similar damage at my local co-op. Many of them have been relatively nice vintage bikes that weren’t designed for kickstands but I’ve seen plenty of others. Granted, it is usually user error where they go all gorilla on the bolts but it happens. Aluminum frames are even more prone to damage from the kickstand moving on the stay. That erodes holes in the stay which renders the frame unuseable.

That depends on what the bike was designed for. As I’ve mentioned, mountain bikes are a place where kickstands are not only unnecessary and unwanted but present a possible injury hazard. I have a fast road bike that has rear wheel close enough to the seat tube that a 28mm tire rubs on the derailer clamp. It also has a very light frame that would certainly crush if I used a kickstand. I have other bikes that I could probably use a kickstand on but as I’m used to leaning my bike against things, I don’t find any utility in using one on those bikes.

That’s kind of my point. Be careful where you park your bike. I’ve never had a bike topple over when leaned against something. I’ve never seen anyone else’s bike fall over when it’s leaned against a solid object. I have seen bikes blown over while using a kickstand. I’ve had my own bikes blown over while using a kickstand. I’ve never had a wind blow over a leaned bike. Wind really can’t blow over a bike leaned against a solid object because it is either blowing the bike into the object or the object is sheltering the bike from the wind.

No, laying a bike on the ground isn’t a mistake. If you lay the bike down in the middle of foot traffic, that’s not just a mistake but it’s being a jerk. But I’ve seen lots and lots of jerks that park their bikes on kickstands in the middle of traffic...both foot and bicycle...because they have a kickstand.

Yes, you can make valid arguments either way. But people who use kickstands often bring up invalid arguments like leaned bikes are more likely to fall over.
First, I was talking about what I have seen, not what you have seen. I stand by my statements.

Aluminum frames are certainly more open to kickstand damage. They are also more likely to be damaged by leaning against objects. Again, this is what I've seen. Steel frames are commonly scratched too. The scratch itself is no big deal. But scratches admit moisture, moisture causes rust and rust destroys frames.

People who don't like kickstands often bring up invalid arguments like wind. Don't want the bike on a kickstand blown over? Put it next to a solid object. Or put the kickstand on the downwind side. Easy peasy. And I can't tell you how many bikes without kickstands I've seen leaned against posts and roadsigns, that offer no protection from wind at all. Walls and solid fences don't exist everywhere.

I would really like to hear from a mountain biker who was impaled on a kickstand. I'm thinking that's a bit farfetched.

As you pointed out, a stay can be damaged by overtightening the kickstand. Don't overtighten. Problem solved.

Are we really going to discuss every mistake of every bike rider that makes them a jerk?. This is going to be a LONG conversation. Because there are plenty. Including laying down bikes where they shouldn't. It happens.

Again, there is no right or wrong. For every plus, there is a minus. ,
Likes For kross57:
Old 01-26-21, 02:21 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I'm a fan of them but I wouldn't put them on a road bike since they are not designed for them. Crushing chain stays is an issue.
They are very practical though. And I do not understand why some people would ride a road bike as a daily commuter if practical items like kickstands, locks, racks and fenders are not an option on those bikes.

As for those complaining about weight, we all know most cyclists stand to lose more weight on the person riding the bike than the bike itself.
People would ride such a bike because they are fun!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 01-26-21, 02:46 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
don't ya'll have some bike pRon to watch or something?
Likes For thook:
Old 01-26-21, 03:20 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
People would ride such a bike because they are fun!

Likes For francophile:
Old 01-26-21, 03:47 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
stand

On high end chrome moly racing frames the wall thickness of the tubes is very thin.......the more expensive and lighter the frames.....the thiner the tubes......the manufactures recommend not installing stands on the chain stays.......they are just to thin.......they were not designed for it at all...........many old cro mo racing frames were only rated for a 135 pound rider.......when frames break they almost always break at the drive side chain stay and bottom bracket.......this is where all the stress from pedaling is concentrated........when I buy and old bike I always check this area for cracks.....this is also where most aluminum frames fail...........mountain bikes and touring bike have much much much stronger stays......but a very delicate area........
Old 01-26-21, 04:09 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
If a bike leaning against a wall, fence, tree or any other object is “one flip of the handlebars away from falling over”, so is a bike on a kickstand. The one on the kickstand is even more likely to fall over because the handlebars can be flipped in two directions. Granted, one direction is slightly more stable than the other but it can still fall and it can fall in two directions.
Under that theory, every motorcycle on a kickstand is ready to fall over as well.

Your descriptions all speak of experiences you'd get with an inferior or poorly set-up kickstand. Try the kickstand on a Social Bicycles or JUMP share bike. Ditto for a good dual-leg stand, like the Ursus Jumbo.

Additionally, as I pointed out, leaning a bike against a wall or something else is away from where people walk. To “flip the handlebars” someone would have to go out of their way to do so. They aren’t likely to just stumble into my bike leaned against something. The same can’t be said for kickstanded bikes. Those are usually parked close to the foot traffic way...often in a manner that blocks the sidewalk.
All arguments that presume a fairly spacious area to work with - not a shared, narrow street in the Netherlands.

And you don’t think this might have something to do with people not using kickstands?
No, it has to do with the undeserved legacy of kickstands within certain cycling factions. It's your belief that people don't use them in large numbers. That may be the case in the circle of riders you know, but not in the greater circle of riders in general. Certainly not within the upright bar and IGH community. EDIT: Or all of my neighbors with hybrid and comfort bikes.

I’d say that most every mountain bike made since around 1995 can’t be fitted for a kickstand for similar reasons...
Exhibit A: A mid-1990's Raleigh M-20 Mountain Trail. Fairly modified, but when the frame was given to me, there was a Greenfield kickstand already on it - and it easily cleared the FD. Didn't do a thing to that kickstand except spray it with silicone lubricant.

If you want to go off on a five page discussion to convince the world that kickstands are useless, and that Jacco knows less about bicycle courtesy in the Netherlands than you do, go ahead.

In the meantime, I have three simple (dare I say this phrase?) rules of thumb:
  • Road bike? No kickstand.
  • Upright bars, IGH, low-end tubing? Kickstand.
  • 1930's/40's club bike? Either way - with preference for a kickstand if original, or if the chainstays are already wrecked. XPT top plate preferable to prevent further damage to tubing.
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Stamped steel for a BB kickstand, I think, goes back to the late 1950s when I first learned to ride a 20 incher. I wouldn't say they are POS, just heavy and inelegant. The Pletcher is light, functional, off the market and durable, and IMO the Greenfields are light, functional and not durable. Wife's Breezer has a two-leg from Civita (I think) and it is a nice design.
There are good stamped steel stands, like the old Wald I mentioned above. It's the worthless ones that look like this one that I was referring to. These are genuine POSes.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 01-26-21 at 07:52 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-26-21, 05:11 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57
First, I was talking about what I have seen, not what you have seen. I stand by my statements.
So you didn’t look at the pictures or you thought they were fake or you think the people posting them are lying? Which is it? You said you’ve never seen a crushed chainstay. Those are examples of crushed chainstays.

Aluminum frames are certainly more open to kickstand damage. They are also more likely to be damaged by leaning against objects. Again, this is what I've seen. Steel frames are commonly scratched too. The scratch itself is no big deal. But scratches admit moisture, moisture causes rust and rust destroys frames.
Rust destroy steel frames. Aluminum is pretty inert to just plain water. Add salt and aluminum will corrode but that takes a fair amount of salt and a fair amount of time. Salt will also do the same to steel. But neither a steel frame nor an aluminum frame is going to fall apart due to a bit of scratching. But bikes are going to get scratched for a variety of reasons. Falling over while parked with either a kickstand or when leaned against a wall is not really all that high on the list.

People who don't like kickstands often bring up invalid arguments like wind. Don't want the bike on a kickstand blown over? Put it next to a solid object.
”Put it next to a solid object”? Like a wall? Perhaps you should lean the bike up against the wall to keep it from falling over.

Or put the kickstand on the downwind side. Easy peasy. And I can't tell you how many bikes without kickstands I've seen leaned against posts and roadsigns, that offer no protection from wind at all. Walls and solid fences don't exist everywhere.
You can’t always determine which is the “downwind side”, especially here in the US Mountain West. The mountains here cause the wind to be very turbulent. It’s hard to determine which direction the wind will gust from at any given moment. It can, and does, gust from 360° throughout the day.

If there isn’t a wall or fence or something substantial to lean a bike against, I have no problem laying it on the ground. I am considerate about it when I lay a bike on the ground so that it is out of the way but I’m also considerate about standing it against a wall, fence, tree, or even a post.

I would really like to hear from a mountain biker who was impaled on a kickstand. I'm thinking that's a bit farfetched.
Because most mountain bikers wouldn’t put a kickstand on a mountain bike while riding off-road. The rougher the terrain, the less likely you’ll find a mountain biker putting a kickstand on a mountain bike.

As you pointed out, a stay can be damaged by overtightening the kickstand. Don't overtighten. Problem solved.
Nope. Not “problem solved”. People make two mistakes when it comes to kickstand installation. Either they put it on too tight to begin with...that’s a general problem that most people have when working on bike anyway...or they don’t tighten it enough. If they put it on too tight, they crush the stay. If they put it on too loose, the stand rotates and the bike falls over. When it’s too loose, they generally overreact and over tighten, crushing the stays. If the bike is an aluminum bike and the kickstand is too loose and rattles around, it erodes the soft aluminum.

Are we really going to discuss every mistake of every bike rider that makes them a jerk?. This is going to be a LONG conversation. Because there are plenty. Including laying down bikes where they shouldn't. It happens.
Yes, it happens. But there is nothing about leaning a bike against something that makes the bike be in someone’s way more than when using a kickstand. Nor is a leaned bike more likely to fall into someone’s path so that they trip over it than a kickstanded bike is.

Again, there is no right or wrong. For every plus, there is a minus. ,
But leaning a bike against something is more wrong than using a kickstand, right? While I don’t agree that there is necessarily a plus for every minus, don’t go making up minuses.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-26-21, 05:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Under that theory, every motorcycle on a kickstand is ready to fall over as well.
No. Motorcycles can fall over but their center of gravity is very low and they are also heavy enough that wind isn’t likely to blow them over. Even hurricane strength winds are unlikely to blow them over.

Your descriptions all speak of experiences you'd get with an inferior or poorly set-up kickstand. Try the kickstand on a Social Bicycles or JUMP share bike. Ditto for a good dual-leg stand, like the Ursus Jumbo.
Tell you what: I won’t treat you like an idiot if you don’t treat me like an idiot. I know how a kickstand works. I know how to install one and how to use one. Even then, I don’t trust them to hold up a bike because I’ve had far too many of my own bikes fall over for a variety of reasons as well as seen lots of bikes with kickstands fall over. Some of those bikes that have fallen over have also fallen over due to malicious intent...usually because they are parked in the middle of a sidewalk.

All arguments that presume a fairly spacious area to work with - not a shared, narrow street in the Netherlands.
Again, don’t assume I’m an idiot and I will do the same for you. Let’s talk about that “shared narrow street” shall we? Look at the bike marked by the red arrow. It’s obviously on a kickstand. The very first thing I noticed was the the bike is out in the walk way. If the bike were leaned against the wall, there would be more room for someone to walk down the sidewalk. As the bike is positioned in the picture, there is much less room to walk past it.

No, it has to do with the undeserved legacy of kickstands within certain cycling factions. It's your belief that people don't use them in large numbers. That may be the case in the circle of riders you know, but not in the greater circle of riders in general. Certainly not within the upright bar and IGH community.
May I remind you that you are the one who brought up the issue of the kickstand interfering with the function of the front derailer. I didn’t say that people don’t use them. I did say that some bikes can’t be fitted with them for exactly the reason you brought up.

Exhibit A: A mid-1990's Raleigh M-20 Mountain Trail. Fairly modified, but when the frame was given to me, there was a Greenfield kickstand already on it - and it easily cleared the FD. Didn't do a thing to that kickstand except spray it with silicone lubricant.
But, again, you brought up the issue of why kickstands don’t work on some bikes. Mid-2000s hardtails are a very different animal than that M-20. They are shorter in the rear so that the rear wheel is further up under the rider. This has a huge impact on the traction for the bike.

If you want to go off on a five page discussion to convince the world that kickstands are useless, and that Jacco knows less about bicycle courtesy in the Netherlands than you do, go ahead.
I didn’t say anything about JaccoW knowing more or less about bicycle courtesy. I have issues with making claims that simple aren’t true.

In the meantime, I have three simple (dare I say this phrase?) rules of thumb:
  • Road bike? No kickstand.
  • Upright bars, IGH, low-end tubing? Kickstand.
  • 1930's/40's club bike? Either way - with preference for a kickstand if original, or if the chainstays are already wrecked. XPT top plate preferable to prevent further damage to tubing.
Well there is no real “rule of thumb”. It’s personal preference. But just because I (and many others) don’t choose your personal preference doesn’t make us “rude”, “Lance wannabes”, “idiots”, “wrong”, “stupid”, “gonna damage our bikes” or less informed than people who use kickstands.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-26-21, 05:45 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Here's my take on kickstands.

If you want one, put one on your bike properly. If you don't want one, don't.

I had a 3 speed Raleigh Sport with baskets that I used for grocery shopping. It had a kickstand, so I used it. Pretty convenient! I think I'll keep them off my Eroica/Cino bike, however. I don't think I'll miss it.
Old 01-26-21, 05:47 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Look @cyccommute you are clearly very anti-kickstand for whatever reasons that might be. I'm a fan of them on the right bikes. I wouldn't put one on a road bike, or at least not one that crushes the chainstays like that.
I have given my reasons why I see 99% of the bikes in the Netherlands wearing kickstands (and heavy-duty motorcycle locks and most of them fenders...). The US has a different bicycle culture and infrastructure, and that's fine.

In the meantime, enjoy some loaded vintage bikes with kickstands:

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-26-21, 07:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Well there is no real “rule of thumb”. It’s personal preference.
As I said, my rule of thumb, not yours. It's personal preference.

But just because I (and many others) don’t choose your personal preference doesn’t make us “rude”, “Lance wannabes”, “idiots”, “wrong”, “stupid”, “gonna damage our bikes” or less informed than people who use kickstands.
Six quotes not attributable to my previous posts - not my arguments.

Tell you what: I won’t treat you like an idiot if you don’t treat me like an idiot.
Better yet, I can have the mods look at our interaction. As both an independent party and our hosts, they can advise who's out of line.

Let’s talk about that “shared narrow street” shall we? Look at the bike marked by the red arrow. It’s obviously on a kickstand. The very first thing I noticed was the the bike is out in the walk way. If the bike were leaned against the wall, there would be more room for someone to walk down the sidewalk. As the bike is positioned in the picture, there is much less room to walk past it.

When was the last time you saw a right-handed kickstand?

What was that thing you said about "making claims that aren't true?"

Originally Posted by JaccoW
In the meantime, enjoy some loaded vintage bikes with kickstands:

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 01-26-21 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-26-21, 07:17 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
I cant believe the ire going hard in this thread over kickstands. And the name calling? Can that be left on the playground?

You guys need to reel back a little please.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 01-26-21, 07:41 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I think a kickstand is nessesary on any bike with luggage. Funny thing is that I picked up one of those double legged esee stands for touring bike #1 and it was a no go. I tried to put it on touring bike #2, also a no go. I then tried to put it on a 26" I blame Grant Peterson bike and again, no go. It's in a box and I plan on takeing it out when touring bike #3 gets rebuilt. #3 is a 90's Cannondale T700, and I have no expectation that the two will play well. I ended up useing esee chainstay mounted stands on two of the bikes, but needed to put VO rotation damping springs on both of them to keep the upright with handle bar bags or baskets. One perceived downside is a weird oscillation that makes rideing with no hands sketchy. Could just be the luggage though.
Old 01-26-21, 07:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Wouldn't it be nice if the top clamp from XPT kickstands were still made? The XPT's were never that great as a stand, but they have a great top plate that pinches the stays from the inside edge - rather than smushing the stays. The chainstay bridge prevents slippage backwards.

Sure, there'd be some exceptions to fit, and they'd only work on older bikes coming into shops today, but they're a suitable, elegant solution - even if it's just for a city bicycle. I'm surprised Problem Solvers never jumped on this.

They even work if installed on a bike that was previously abused by a conventional kickstand:

I've also modified one to work on a later Raleigh Sports. These ditched the chainstay bridge for a woefully weak kickstand plate. The plate is barely study enough to resist front-to-back twisting. This eliminated the problem and looks sharp (yes, it's been sprayed black to match the rest of the bits).

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 01-26-21 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 07:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I think a kickstand is nessesary on any bike with luggage. Funny thing is that I picked up one of those double legged esee stands for touring bike #1 and it was a no go. I tried to put it on touring bike #2, also a no go. I then tried to put it on a 26" I blame Grant Peterson bike and again, no go. It's in a box and I plan on takeing it out when touring bike #3 gets rebuilt. #3 is a 90's Cannondale T700, and I have no expectation that the two will play well. I ended up useing esee chainstay mounted stands on two of the bikes, but needed to put VO rotation damping springs on both of them to keep the upright with handle bar bags or baskets. One perceived downside is a weird oscillation that makes rideing with no hands sketchy. Could just be the luggage though.
Have definitely learned that virtually any double-legged stand requires a steering stabilizer spring to prevent the front end from spinning around on its own. It's not so much of a problem if the front of the bike is heavier than the rear, but given that I usually mount such stands on bikes with IGH hubs, this is rarely the case.

The oscillation is amplified by the luggage, but it'll be there without it too. It's just something one has to live with if they have a steering stabilizer installed.

-Kurt

Old 01-26-21, 08:36 PM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
So you didn’t look at the pictures or you thought they were fake or you think the people posting them are lying? Which is it? You said you’ve never seen a crushed chainstay. Those are examples of crushed chainstays.

Rust destroy steel frames. Aluminum is pretty inert to just plain water. Add salt and aluminum will corrode but that takes a fair amount of salt and a fair amount of time. Salt will also do the same to steel. But neither a steel frame nor an aluminum frame is going to fall apart due to a bit of scratching. But bikes are going to get scratched for a variety of reasons. Falling over while parked with either a kickstand or when leaned against a wall is not really all that high on the list.

”Put it next to a solid object”? Like a wall? Perhaps you should lean the bike up against the wall to keep it from falling over.

You can’t always determine which is the “downwind side”, especially here in the US Mountain West. The mountains here cause the wind to be very turbulent. It’s hard to determine which direction the wind will gust from at any given moment. It can, and does, gust from 360° throughout the day.

If there isn’t a wall or fence or something substantial to lean a bike against, I have no problem laying it on the ground. I am considerate about it when I lay a bike on the ground so that it is out of the way but I’m also considerate about standing it against a wall, fence, tree, or even a post.

Because most mountain bikers wouldn’t put a kickstand on a mountain bike while riding off-road. The rougher the terrain, the less likely you’ll find a mountain biker putting a kickstand on a mountain bike.

Nope. Not “problem solved”. People make two mistakes when it comes to kickstand installation. Either they put it on too tight to begin with...that’s a general problem that most people have when working on bike anyway...or they don’t tighten it enough. If they put it on too tight, they crush the stay. If they put it on too loose, the stand rotates and the bike falls over. When it’s too loose, they generally overreact and over tighten, crushing the stays. If the bike is an aluminum bike and the kickstand is too loose and rattles around, it erodes the soft aluminum.

Yes, it happens. But there is nothing about leaning a bike against something that makes the bike be in someone’s way more than when using a kickstand. Nor is a leaned bike more likely to fall into someone’s path so that they trip over it than a kickstanded bike is.

But leaning a bike against something is more wrong than using a kickstand, right? While I don’t agree that there is necessarily a plus for every minus, don’t go making up minuses.
I said I have never seen a chainstay crushed by a kickstand. I still have never seen a chainstay crushed by a kickstand. I have now seen pictures of crushed chainstays. How were they damaged? I have no idea. I know I didn't do it. As to whether you are a fake or a liar, you will have to help me out on that one. I don't know you very well.

If you have never run into a bike with rust on the frame due to a scratched finish you would be the first. Congrats!

I was not aware you live in the "US Mountain West", that magical land where there are no prevailing winds or updrafts or even weather. Where the air simply circles around and around, day in, day out. How incredible.

I believe you when you say "The rougher the terrain, the less likely you’ll find a mountain biker putting a kickstand on a mountain bike" . Rough terrain is no place to be accessorizing your bike. Do that in a shop!

I can't believe how lucky I have been since I have installed many kick stands and not ONCE has it been too tight or too loose. What a miracle! Incredibly I have also been able to install cable stops, derailleurs, shift levers and numberless other parts, fitted around frames without crushing a single tube. It defies logic.

At this point I'll finish, because, well, I have a life.

All the best!
Old 01-27-21, 02:06 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Let’s talk about that “shared narrow street” shall we? Look at the bike marked by the red arrow. It’s obviously on a kickstand. The very first thing I noticed was the the bike is out in the walk way. If the bike were leaned against the wall, there would be more room for someone to walk down the sidewalk. As the bike is positioned in the picture, there is much less room to walk past it.
That bike is leaning against the wall. Those green things with a railing on top of them are stairs to the entrance of the building. The moped on the right has the same amount of space but cannot lean and is partially obstructed by all the plants there. Both have kickstands but only the moped is using it.
Then again, it's probably Amsterdam we're seeing here, you have no business going with a car into the city center unless you live there (most choose not to buy a car) or because you are a business that only drives through to deliver something.

So that road in the middle is mostly used by cyclists and pedestrians.

Last edited by JaccoW; 01-27-21 at 08:11 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-27-21, 09:58 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
to be fair and honest (a seldom occurrence due to an overperforming snark gland..), i did order an upstand that was referred to on this thread for one of my bikes that has stamped dropouts... which will serve the extra benefit of offering a spacer for the QR lever side. and of course the inevitable opportunity to loose the detachable folding stand at some point in the future.
Old 01-27-21, 10:19 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Here's a guy that knows how to use a kick stand

Old 01-27-21, 10:31 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention these: Bolt on Kickstand Rear Axle double mount for 26" wheel, steel black with spring
Or these, similar/same: https://www.bikeberry.com/rear-axle-kickstands.html

I've seen them on bikes abroad, but maybe two total in the last couple decades here in the US?

Old 01-27-21, 10:50 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by francophile
I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention these: Bolt on Kickstand Rear Axle double mount for 26" wheel, steel black with spring
Or these, similar/same: https://www.bikeberry.com/rear-axle-kickstands.html

I've seen them on bikes abroad, but maybe two total in the last couple decades here in the US?
Common on Flying Pigeons. A bit bendy. I wish one of the aftermarket companies would make a high-quality version of the same, perhaps in aluminum.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-27-21, 11:20 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
This has got me thinking. If I put a kickstand on my Bianchi L'Eroica bike would that make people love it or hate it more?
Old 01-27-21, 12:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
This has got me thinking. If I put a kickstand on my Bianchi L'Eroica bike would that make people love it or hate it more?
That reminds me that there's one hanging in an LBS. I couldn't bear to put a kickstand on something like that. I consider it a KOF road bike.

Just my personal opinion, of course.

-Kurt

Old 01-27-21, 02:48 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Its not the bikes fault, other’s would probably think way less of the owner though.
Tim