Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't find a creak

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can't find a creak

Old 03-04-21, 05:37 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Have you used a proper torque wrench and check every bolt and made 100% sure everything is properly installed and tightened. Thru-Axles and QR skewers can be the cause sometimes as well.

Make sure you aren't missing something as well. Sometimes a washer or seal or something is gone and can cause some issues.

I also wouldn't jump on anything but you could Jump Around
We had a bike i the shop with a similar issue - everything pointed to a bottom bracket, but when we isolated every part it turned out to be a slightly loose rear QR skewer that creaked under chain tension then released. Taking chain off of crank helped isolate the creak. If you have a decent stand and some creativity you can isolate just about every part of the bike, even sides of the rear triangle to pinpoit noise sources. Lots of folks jump to blame press-fit bottom brackets but in our experience it is almost always something else.
Old 03-04-21, 07:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
We had a bike i the shop with a similar issue - everything pointed to a bottom bracket, but when we isolated every part it turned out to be a slightly loose rear QR skewer that creaked under chain tension then released. Taking chain off of crank helped isolate the creak. If you have a decent stand and some creativity you can isolate just about every part of the bike, even sides of the rear triangle to pinpoit noise sources. Lots of folks jump to blame press-fit bottom brackets but in our experience it is almost always something else.
That happened to us once as well. It was a big pain in the arse.
Old 03-05-21, 03:03 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
It's thru axle. Anyway, I already put so much grease on the thru axle I think it's impossible for it to creak.

I'm starting to think it's the BB and that even without feet on the pedals, the frame flexes in a way that makes it creak... I'm going to disassemble and reasemble it with new grease.
Old 03-05-21, 05:58 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Just greasing a thru axle won't prevent creaks if its not tight enough. There is still some play in the axle/hub/dropout interface and the axle needs to be tight enough to hold the hub endcap firmly in place against the dropout face. If its not tight enough, the axle end cap will move under load and scrape on the dropout face.
Old 03-05-21, 06:08 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by dsaul
Just greasing a thru axle won't prevent creaks if its not tight enough. There is still some play in the axle/hub/dropout interface and the axle needs to be tight enough to hold the hub endcap firmly in place against the dropout face. If its not tight enough, the axle end cap will move under load and scrape on the dropout face.
It's more than tight enough. There are no marks of movement in the dropout.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 03-10-21, 03:53 PM
Amt0571

I think I've nailed it down.

I noticed that when I tightened the thru axle lever, It always made a creak.

After checking the axle thoroughly, I removed the wheel and pressed on the axle from the NDS with my hand while holding the wheel diagonal between my other hand and the floor. And there it was. CREAK! I also noticed a diminute amount of movement together with the sound.

I disassembled the wheel (a Mavic Ksyrium Disc) to the bearings and found that there's a circlip that holds the axle in place, and behind it, theres a wave washer to preload the bearings.

What's happening then? Well, the wave washer, although it's really strong and makes replacing the circlip a total pain, allows a tiny bit of movement. It can't be seen, but it can be felt. And what happens when something moves and there's zero lubrication? CREAK.

I greased the bearing interface with the axle, put a bit of grease on both sides of the wave washer and on the circlip groove, and reassembled everything. I hope my next ride will be creak free.

Last edited by Amt0571; 03-10-21 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 04:10 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
post #20 on the 4th didn't help?
Old 03-11-21, 02:52 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by Troul
post #20 on the 4th didn't help?
Yes. I checked that the frame was not the culprit before concluding the issue was on the wheel.

I hadn't thought it could come from inside the hub, and it was one of the few things I hadn't disassembled.
Old 03-11-21, 10:19 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
following the removing of the rear wheel assembly was to do two things, isolate the noise to be wheel related or further investigate it possibly being frame related.